20 replies to this topic

#1 Joakim

Joakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I'm using Ad-Aware products for quite some time, and for me it is the best anti-spyware. But with the new 2007 version you've also introduced a new unwanted feature: a all-time running Windows service, which was not present in previous versions. I was wondering why do we have to have that service allways on, even if we don't used realtime monitoring? I personally hate software which uses services or drivers for everything. I was hopping you would remove that service after the beta program was over, but I was wrong. And it's not possible to even run Ad-Aware without the service running.

#2 dennis123123

dennis123123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yes, this is one of the reasons I no longer plan to use lavasoft's wonderful software. Sadly, Ive used ad-aware since version 6, and after downloading the hideous monster of an 18meg file today, im sorry to say that i'm switching to spybot :lol:

1. Like the OP said, services+drivers are bad.
2. 18mb!!!!! My last AAW SE download was about 4mb!
3. It looks horrible (sorry to the interface designers)
4. Its filled with unneccesary bloat (the free version) which makes it look and feel like some other spyware demo type program

#3 eagleman

eagleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

Yes, this is one of the reasons I no longer plan to use lavasoft's wonderful software. Sadly, Ive used ad-aware since version 6, and after downloading the hideous monster of an 18meg file today, im sorry to say that i'm switching to spybot :unsure:

1. Like the OP said, services+drivers are bad.
2. 18mb!!!!! My last AAW SE download was about 4mb!
3. It looks horrible (sorry to the interface designers)
4. Its filled with unneccesary bloat (the free version) which makes it look and feel like some other spyware demo type program

Well done about going to Spybot, I wish there were more like us

#4 Nick Drake

Nick Drake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

I am very disappointed with this release of Ad-Aware 2007. There is no need for aawservice.exe to be running in the background consuming over 20 MB of memory when I don't want it to. Why do I not have the ability to use Ad-Aware 2007 without the process aawservice.exe running unwanted in the background at all times. I also don't like the fact that Ad-Aware 2007 can somehow bypass the ZoneAlarm firewall without my consent.
I am now going to uninstall Ad-Aware 2007 until this issue is resolved

#5 sunrisecc

sunrisecc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

I too do not want the service running unless I want it to. I was able to stop Ad-Watch by deselecting the option,
I used Task manager of Win XP Prp SP2 to shutdown the service on a temporary basis.

#6 Joakim

Joakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

I too do not want the service running unless I want it to. I was able to stop Ad-Watch by deselecting the option,
I used Task manager of Win XP Prp SP2 to shutdown the service on a temporary basis.

Yes, but if your run Ad-Aware again it will re-enable the service again.

#7 eagleman

eagleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

I am laughing like mad here, when will you guys realise that this program is a load of mince!

;)

#8 sunrisecc

sunrisecc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

True - but I only run Ad-aware on an when-needed basis. I also have disabled the service via Control Panel/services.

This is a stop-gap measure until I see what happens in the future. Of course, I could have un-installed Adaware 2007 but will only do possibly down the road.

#9 Joakim

Joakim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

Well, I already uninstalled it and I'm now using SpyBot. Goodbye Ad-Aware...

#10 peto

peto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

Arent there ANY admins or Ad-Aware developers?? They should tell us about Ad-Aware 2007 Service and what for it is and why it is in free version???!

I also think it is very very unnecessarily... I am really thinking of uninstalling ad-aware..

P.S sorry for my bad english

Edited by peto, 08 June 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#11 sunrisecc

sunrisecc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

Arent there ANY admins or Ad-Aware developers?? They should tell us about Ad-Aware 2007 Service and what for it is and why it is in free version???!

I too have been waiting for an answer.

#12 Cartigan

Cartigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:44 PM

Well done about going to Spybot, I wish there were more like us

If you are only using one antispyware program, you're dumb as it is. PM me and I will recommend a few other free programs and wait for your to respond in horror after removing tons of other spyware off your system.

But about this service and Ad-Aware 2007, this thing is full of a lot of blatantly obvious bugs for a program that has been in very public beta mode for months. And the service just basically turns it into what it is supposedly protecting us against. If you turn off the service the program won't run? BS. It ran fine before without a service, fix it or lose your entire customer base. And let's not forget it's refusal to delete cookies that it detects as tracking cookies.

Edited by Cartigan, 08 June 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#13 LS Tobias

LS Tobias

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

I cannot go into details of the inner workings of the software, but the service adds flexibility that the new engine needs in order to cope with the more advanced types of malware that are emerging.

We realize that you don't want the program to hog unnecessary resources and we have tried to keep the consumption to a minimum, without compromising when it comes to performance.

Regards, Tobias

#14 Cartigan

Cartigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:55 PM

Bull.

Disabling it in the msconfig service start up prevents the program from opening, but not having it running is completely irrelevant because if it is enabled there but not currently running, the program will still start and enable the service. So it obviously detects if it is allowed to boot up or not, you programmed that in intentionally or accidentally, I'm going for the former because it will boot up if it is enabled but not running.

And the service independently uses at least 20MB of RAM. I will be uninstalling Ad-Aware 2007 and reverting to SE and I will not be installing any future Ad-Aware product until you can convincingly justify the existence of this service and the reason that it needs to be running at start up and continuously.

Edited by Cartigan, 08 June 2007 - 11:57 PM.

#15 Muncle

Muncle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:11 AM

I cannot go into details of the inner workings of the software, but the service adds flexibility that the new engine needs in order to cope with the more advanced types of malware that are emerging.

We realize that you don't want the program to hog unnecessary resources and we have tried to keep the consumption to a minimum, without compromising when it comes to performance.

Regards, Tobias

this running in the background in the free edtion after the program has been close does nothing for malware are anything else. it only uses resourses that my machine cant spare i have uninstalled ad aware 2007 and put se back on

#16 cham44

cham44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:36 AM

what a shame, another piece of software turns into bloatware. 20Mb service running in the background not doing anything but using up my RAM. Installs with all kinds of crap that doesn't work unless you pay. Uninstalled, thanks but no thanks.

If you have comments to make about the new Ad-Aware go and rate it at:

http://www.download....software#rateit

Edited by cham44, 09 June 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#17 SpyDie

SpyDie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Regards, Tobias

Could you tell me please, based on that it adds more flexibility, why does AAW fail to remove Vundo completely?

Let me guess, Vundo 'changed'?

Bull.

This is a serious disappointment to faithful users, and a serious embarrassment to the antispyware community. NOD32 = 28MB of memory at this current moment in time. AAW = 79MB of memory, and it's not even scanning.

Edited by SpyDie, 09 June 2007 - 04:58 PM.

#18 Ran Erev

Ran Erev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have a big problem with the aawservice.exe process that uses more than 20MB and does nothing.
there's no need for this process in the free version. I hope you will fix this, meanwhile I'm uninstalling Ad-Aware.

#19 Martyoplastic

Martyoplastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Regards, Tobias

Ok, so why does the service runs when Ad-Aware 2007 Free Edition is not in use ?
Don't you think that stopping the service when Ad-Aware 2007 Free Edition is closed is the best solution to hog unnecessary resources ?
We can do that manually so what happens if we stop the service ?

#20 stewie

stewie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

Well, I already uninstalled it and I'm now using SpyBot. Goodbye Ad-Aware...

I have to agree with you. Prior to this release, the main runners were Ad-Aware and/or SpyBot. I think SpyBot's going to gain some new customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users