7 replies to this topic

#1 pfgbel

pfgbel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hello,

I used till now Ad-Aware Vers. 8.2.6 and was happy with it.
My system is Win XP Pro SP3.
I'm regularly invited to download and install the new version of Ad-Aware (vers. 9.*) but I cannot install it because the older version has to be removed first.
Uninstalling the older version is unfortunately impossible because the its install configuration files are no longer available on my HDD...
Is there a way I could follow to deinstall properly the 8.2.6 version ? (PS: it still loads automatically when starting the PC !)
Thanks in advance for your kind help !
Pol

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7416 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:24 AM

Hi pfgbel,

You can try to first install Ad-Aware 8.2 on top of the existing installation and then uninstall. Another alternative you can try is to use Revo Uninstaller and AppRemover to uninstall the old version.

Filehippo has old versions http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

#3 pfgbel

pfgbel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi pfgbel,

You can try to first install Ad-Aware 8.2 on top of the existing installation and then uninstall. Another alternative you can try is to use Revo Uninstaller and AppRemover to uninstall the old version.
Filehippo has old versions http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

Thank you CeciliaB !

I first tried to instal a version 8.2 but this failed very quickly as the installation needs the previous version is removed...
I then tried with "revouninstaller" but unfortunately it gives the same result as the "Configuration Panel", i.o.w. it is not mentionned in the list due to the fact the initial installation procedure is no longer on the HDD...
I finally tried the third solution with "appremover" but this one just tried to remove my ...antivirus !! I stopped it immediately of course.
I am now back to the start without solution :)
Some other tracks to try ?
Thks in advance,
Pol

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7416 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

Note that Ad-Aware version 9 contains an antivirus program and it might be conflicts and problems when running two antivirus program.

We can see what to do about Ad-Aware with the help of DDS. Save DDS to your desktop: http://download.blee...om/sUBs/dds.scr

Double-click on the DDS tool to run it.

When finished, DDS will open two (2) logs:
1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt

Save them to your desktop and paste their content into your answer.

#5 pfgbel

pfgbel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi,
Note that Ad-Aware version 9 contains an antivirus program and it might be conflicts and problems when running two antivirus program.
We can see what to do about Ad-Aware with the help of DDS. Save DDS to your desktop: http://download.blee...om/sUBs/dds.scr
Double-click on the DDS tool to run it.
When finished, DDS will open two (2) logs:
1. DDS.txt
2. Attach.txt
Save them to your desktop and paste their content into your answer.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate !
In attachment the zipped files you requested
Please remove them from the post after reading.
Thanks in advance for your kind help.
Pol
Attached File  DDSandATTACH.zip   16.1KB   304 downloads

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7416 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

I believe that you can remove the attachment yourselves but please leave it until this topic is finished. It might be necessary to read the logs later.

Are you sure you want to upgrade Ad-Aware to version 9?
Are you planning to uninstall Avast and using Ad-Aware as both antivirus and anti-malware program or are you going to turn off the real-time protection in Ad-Aware?
As I wrote earlier it might be conflicts between two running antivirus programs.

To stop Ad-Aware from running, proceed as follows. If you get an error message, please write the message in your post.

Start the Command Prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories) and write:
sc stop Lbd
sc delete Lbd
exit

Control panel - Administrative Tools - Services
Find the service "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service", double-click it and set the start method to disabled.

Restart the computer.
Put the folder C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and the file (if existing) c:\windows\system32\drivers\Lbd.sys in the Recycle Bin.
Restart the computer.

Try again to install Ad-Aware, version 9 or 8.

The following are old versions with security vulnerabilities:
Adobe Reader 8.2.6 - Franšais
Java™ 6 Update 20
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 7
Should be uninstalled.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Old version, upgrade for best protection.

Registry Booster
Registry cleaning programs often cause problems by removing too much, that may be the reason why it is impossible to uninstall Ad-Aware.

#7 aphanetic

aphanetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

that is how upgrades work as AA 9 will just make some adjustments to what already exists in your previous installation. If you are worried about the extra baggage just stick with the old version and keep the definitions updated.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7416 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

For best security you should always upgrade all antivirus and anti-malware programs to the latest version, since with each new major version new functions are added to be able to handle the latest threats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users