• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Batchie

Batchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

Why have I ended up with Pro Version Beta 2 after updating from v 8.1?

Now I can't update nor do any scanning without errors. :huh:

Edited by Batchie, 17 September 2010 - 02:39 AM.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

Did you update through the GUI or uninstall 8.1 then use an 8.3 installer? The beta versions were only supposed to be available to a closed group of beta testers. Try uninstalling with Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com) using the strongest setting to rid of any leftovers, then dowload a fresh installer.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Batchie

Batchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

I've used GUI update.

Anyway, I've uninstalled and then reinstalled Adaware again (did that before you replied) and it's now 8.3.3 and working.

#4 OliveOyl

OliveOyl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

I have a similar issue. I now have Version Beta 2 after doing a Web Update. I did not install or uninstall anything, this happened by itself after I clicked on the Web Update button on the main screen. It states last update 9/16 0149.0399. Used to have 8.1.4. System Scans work but Web Update fails as I get "Connection error, check your settings Errorcode-1". Is there a simple way to resolve this?

#5 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

Shows "Connection error, check your settings" message & stops half-way through the update process (no version beta 2 is installed) since my V8.1.4's 9/14 0149.0402 update. What "settings" should I change to get this going again?
Is it anything to do with the 09/14 MS security updates to my WinXP, SP3? Maybe a sign that the faithful V8.1.4 is retiring.

Edited by Louis Kam, 17 September 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

OK, I've posted to Lavasoft about this Web Update problem. It's odd since the Beta version was supposed to be available to a closed group. It must have something to do with trying to jump from 8.1 to 8.3.

Is there a simple way to resolve this?

Simplest thing would be to uninstall/reinstall per the instructions above - it worked for Batchie. Otherwise you'll have to wait until Lavasoft sorts out the problem - but now that Beta 2 is installed, when trying to do a Web Update, it might be looking for files that are not there.

Shows "Connection error, check your settings" - What "settings" should I change to get this going again?

It's asking you to check your internet connection settings, but obviously that's not the problem if you're surfing the internet.

Is it anything to do with the 09/14 MS security updates to my WinXP, SP3? Maybe a sign that the faithful V8.1.4 is retiring.

I mentioned to Lavasoft your idea that it may be related to the 9/14 MS security updates. They shouldn't retire 8.1.4 yet, they're still supporting 2008 and Anniversary Edtion 8.0. Since 8.1.4 was the last release of 8.1, it should stop trying to update the software and only update the definitions.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#7 OliveOyl

OliveOyl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

I have uninstalled the Pro Beta 2 and installed v8.3.3 and all seems to be well (keeping my fingers crossed). Thanks, Visitor, for your input and to the others for posting their problems.

#8 Lubomyr

Lubomyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

I also have a similar problem for a while now that I haven't had time to tackle. Somehow during a update I ended up with Pro-Beta 2 version. So I have been using it with no problems. Now when I open it up I get a pop-up screen saying that a new version is available and to update now. But when I try to install the new version, I get a message "Unable to uninstall old version of Ad-Aware. The installation source for this product is not available." What can I do?

#9 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:54 PM

Showing "Connection error, check your settings" message....
I'm changing the different settings (Stop/Restarted to Disabled/Automatic/Manual) at Lavasoft Ad-ware service's property with no luck so far on my V8.1.4 in Win XP, SP3.

Is it wise to restore the system setting back to 09/13/2010 before installing the 09/14/2010 MS security patches to give it a try?

Will installation the latest defination files from the stored "core.aawdef.zip" make thing even worse?

In case all failed, I've the V8.1.1 program saved but not the V8.1.4. If I uninstall the whole program using Revo Uninstaller's highest settiing, upon installing the V8.1.1 back, how to get to V8.1.4?

Edited by Louis Kam, 19 September 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#10 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:34 AM

But when I try to install the new version, I get a message "Unable to uninstall old version of Ad-Aware. The installation source for this product is not available." What can I do?

I deleted your other post since it was a duplicate of this one. Don't use the Web Update to install the new version over the top of the existing one. As Batchie and OliveOyl did above, uninstall Ad-Aware completely first, then download a new installer for version 8.3.

Is it wise to restore the system setting back to 09/13/2010 before installing the 09/14/2010 MS security patches to give it a try?

Will installation the latest defination files from the stored "core.aawdef.zip" make thing even worse?

In case all failed, I've the V8.1.1 program saved but not the V8.1.4. If I uninstall the whole program using Revo Uninstaller's highest settiing, upon installing the V8.1.1 back, how to get to V8.1.4?

I'm not sure I would restore my system to undo the recent MS security updates - after all, it's only a theory. I think the real problem is that 8.1.4 updated to Beta 2, which was unintentional.

Importing the latest core.aawdef file shouldn't make things worse. There's usually only a handful of new definitions with each update. In this case, it's apparently a software problem and not the definitions.

I would try to uninstall/reinstall since you saved the installer, but you might end up in the same place. The installer installs the base version 8.1.0, then checks for updates, which may again lead to Beta 2 until Lavasoft fixes it on their end.

Edited by visitor, 19 September 2010 - 02:46 AM.

#11 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for your insights to these, Visitor.

I'll wait-out a bit longer then as I 've the latest Spybot & Advanced SystemCare to take care my anti-spyware needs.

#12 someinfo

someinfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hi all ...

I have Ad-aware AE install on a few PC's, since a few days ago, I too have the Pro Beta 2 Internet Security. It may seem like it only cosmetic or a few pro file got updated by mistake any how I want an easier fix than Uninstall and reinstall because I have it on so many machines ... I'm sure lavasoft can fix this or just provide the info to fix it ...

The probem why not updating is that the program is looking for updates at this address :-

http://betadownload....er/metafile.dat

There is NO metafile.dat there and so an update/fix does and will not take place ...

Lavasoft can either put the metafile.dat along with fixes at that address or just tell us how to point the update setting to :-

http://download.lava...er/metafile.dat

I tried searching the registry and and application files to see if I could change this for testing purposes and could not find how or where to set the update server settings ...

Thanks for any help or insights.

#13 LS Jeffery

LS Jeffery

Valued Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hello everyone

If you perform another update you should arrive back at your original version of Ad-Aware.

However, as stated by visitor above, I would highly recommend everyone to update to the latest version of Ad-Aware. New versions provide better protection and update detection methods necessary to keep you safe on the ever changing landscape of malware threats.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft QA team leader.

#14 someinfo

someinfo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

Yeah Works Great, Thanks!!

SOLVED

#15 Louis Kam

Louis Kam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

Finally updated to definations 149.407 on my V8.1.4 again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users