3 replies to this topic

#1 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

In the past, Lavasoft has advised that Symantec Endpoint Protection (Version 11.0.5) and Ad-Aware Plus (Version 8.x) could co-exist, using real-time protection for both, concurrently; however, it was not recommended to run scans from both applications, at the same time. I have configured these two applications to run as such, disabling Ad-Watch's real-time anti-virus component, so as not to interfere with Symantec Endpoint Protection's real-time protection. With the release of Ad-Aware 8.2.1, it appears that if Ad-Aware senses such similar programs, already installed, it will either disable the File protection real-time component of Ad-Watch or it will disable Ad-Watch, altogether. What are other users experiencing? Does the existence of similarly-installed security software packages cause the Ad-Aware installer to disable just the File protection of Ad-Watch or does Ad-Watch get disabled, completely? And, if all of Ad-Watch gets completely disabled, does this indicate that it is no longer advisable to run two real-time/resident protection mechanisms, concurrently, even when disabling the anti-virus component of Ad-Watch?

It appears with Ad-Aware becoming more than just an anti-malware, anti-spyware, etc. application, it may be forcing users to choose more of a primary security software package for real-time protection, while using other security software packages for scanning purposes and repair only. On the flipside, the types and methods of infections, along with the infections, themselves, are blurring the lines between what used to be just spyware, malware, adware and traditional viruses, worms, and trojans and Lavasoft may simply be reacting to this change, although, the possible lack of beta testing on Lavasoft's part is worrisome. What exactly does the File protection Ad-Watch module do that was not being done before and why include it as a separate module, now? Is this for compatibility? If I disable the File protection module, does this diminish the Process and Registry protection that I have experienced in the past from Ad-Aware or does it simply provide me with the same level of protection I have experienced with Ad-Aware 8.0.x?

I am interested in getting other users' thoughts and experiences here. Your responses are greatly appreciated, as I try to work out Ad-Aware 8.2.x's place in my security layer protection strategies. Thank you.

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:05 AM

From what I've read, it's always been suggested to run only 1 real-time app to avoid conflicts and competition for system resources. With Ad-Aware's past problems with Symantec/Norton and Kaspersky, and the ensuing pissing matches over who should fix it, I can see where Lavasoft preferred to make Ad-Watch Off automatic. From only 1 post I've seen, it was the File module turned off - maybe coincidental, but this is also the module which was slowing down systems when 8.2 was released.

Having the files module off should not affect the other modules since it's different. It's meant to scan new files, whereas processes monitors running processes, registry monitors unusual registry changes, and network checks URLs called against a blacklist. As long as your Symantec Endpoint has a similar file checking function, you should still be protected.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 Voltron

Voltron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hello, visitor:

Having just upgraded to 8.2, I can confirm, personally, that the Files Module is automatically disabled, when installed with Symantec Endpoint Protection already installed on the same system. I raised this question because it does seem that the original Lavasoft suggestion of simply not scanning with both applications, concurrently, a somewhat obvious and fairly well-known suggestion, is no longer adequate, with the additional modules and protections built into the newer versions of Ad-Aware. Now, I am leaning toward disabling the Ad-Watch real-time protection, altogether and letting Symantec Endpoint Protection handle all of my real-time protections and relying on Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc. for routine scanning, only. My only concern is perhaps losing some of the preventative measures that Ad-Watch may provide that Symantec Endpoint Protection may miss, simply as a possibility, as no application is 100% malware proof. I am, however, getting quite frustrated with the slow startup time of the Ad-Watch module; yet, I am not certain I am ready to give up any possible additional real-time protection Ad-Watch may provide.

Is anyone else currently using both the real-time protection of Ad-Watch, in conjunction with other real-time protections, from other security software packages? What have been your experiences? Given the expansion of Ad-Aware's real-time protection footprint, is anyone considering completely disabling Ad-Watch in favor of another application's real-time protection? Conversely, is anyone considering disabling another application's real-time protection, in favor of solely relying on Ad-Watch, as their only real-time protection mechanism? Thank you, visitor and thank you to everyone else for their input.

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

I had no conflicts with AVG Free 8.5, Ad-Aware AE Pro 8.0.3, Spybot 1.6.2 and Win Defender 1.1.1593 all running with resident protection. However, there was system sluggishness - slow boot and icon population in Explorer windows. I turned off real-time Spybot TeaTimer and SDHelper and Win Defender. Then I tested AVG vs. Ad-Aware - with AVG, the system was still sluggish, so I keep Ad-Aware as resident protection (AE does not have files protection). Ad-Aware AE does take forever to load, but so did AVG.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users