2 replies to this topic

#1 bilby

bilby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hi,

This is really weird but after becoming sick and tired of the ongoing problems with 8.2 I un-installed it for the second time using Revo Uninstaller and the Lavasoft Un-installer. During the procedure however the Desktop component of my real Anti Virus program (Avira Antivir Premium) some how got tangled up in the un-install process and also got removed.

No idea how or why this could happen or be possible but while I am checking with the Revo people I hold Lavasoft 8.2 responsible for this mess.

So, anybody else out there considering removing 8.2 should be extra careful.

Back to 8.1.4 for me and now to reinstall Avira Antivir.

*&%$#@@*#

bilby :angry:

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:05 AM

Did it wipe out Avira completely, or just an essential file required for Avira to run? I'm surprised since Revo has been used successfully. It's a bit suspicious since the antivirus component of Ad-Aware used to be Avira, but I'm not sure if it still is in the 8.2 version. Also, I'm not sure if Ad-Aware's antivirus components are installed initially or only after you register for Plus/Pro.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 bilby

bilby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

No, it just removed the "desktop" component. I was able to fix this with an Avira re-install "repair". Did not know about the Avira / Ad-Aware Anti-Virus link .... makes one wonder.

My version of Ad-Aware in a licensed Pro version (now 8.1.4) and for Avira it is a licensed Premium version (9.0.0.457). I have been using both programs for, seems like centuries, but 8.2 is starting to give me that 2007/2008, pre Anniversary Edition, vibe. The reason I joined the forum in the first place on 2007.

Folks at Revo have been very quick and very good but have not been able to reproduce the problem yet. I have been using Revo Uninstaller for years and never had a problem with it before this 8.2 issue.

I put the blame on 8.2 and Lavasoft.

Thanks for the insight and info.

bilby

Did it wipe out Avira completely, or just an essential file required for Avira to run? I'm surprised since Revo has been used successfully. It's a bit suspicious since the antivirus component of Ad-Aware used to be Avira, but I'm not sure if it still is in the 8.2 version. Also, I'm not sure if Ad-Aware's antivirus components are installed initially or only after you register for Plus/Pro.

Edited by bilby, 28 February 2010 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users