• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:44 AM

Recently installed 2010 Ad-Aware, version 8.1.4. Previously had Ad-Aware SE but obviously I had not used it in a while.

Have noticed the systray icon disappears ("show notification area icon" is checked under Ad-Watch settings). Not sure of a pattern but think it happens after coming out of hibernation (icons for other programs still show, only ad-aware is missing). If I start Ad-Aware the icon returns. So do I assume when there is no icon that Ad-Watch Live! is not active? Really would like it to be active all the time.

Any idea why this might be happening? Never had problems with SE. Did notice that it still lists SE in add/remove programs, could this affect how 2010 runs? Should I uninstall/reinstall 2010?

#2 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:11 AM

As long as Lavasoft Ad-Aware service is running, you should be OK, but since SE is showing in Add/Remove, you might want to reinstall. When I updated, instead of installing over the top, I did a manual clean uninstall of SE first. You can do that if you're comfortable deleting folders, files, and registry entries or you can use Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com).
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

Lavasoft Support for Plus/Pro paid licenses.

Help fight malware! Upload Suspicious Files to Lavasoft.

Malware removal assistance? Please read this first.
After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#3 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. A couple more thoughts/comments. How big should the AD-Aware program folder be? Mine is 100MB, which seems large. Also there seems to be individual items within the folder that appear twice such as AAWTray and AAWTray(2). I remember that Ad-Aware seemed to disappear at some point after initial install so I installed again (without deleting anything), is it possible I have duplicate files which could cause some of this? Also I think the Ad-Watch icon disappearing may be linked to when the program updates. When I look at the event log I see several updates within a day, something like start update, finished update and then a minute later the same thing up to four times in one day.

As for deleting SE can I use the uninstall option from the program itself (all programs->Lavasoft AD-Aware SE-Personal>Uninstall Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal)?

#4 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure how big the Ad-Aware folder is for 8.1.4 - I'm still using AE which is ~54mb. It does sound like you have duplicate files if they only differ by the suffix (2). I guess it could explain the odd behavior since it's like having 2 versions of the same program running.

The SE uninstaller might leave junk behind or delete stuff needed by 8.1.4. But you can always try it, then see if 8.1.4 works properly. If not, then resort to using Revo Uninstaller. Just as a matter of practice, whenever I need to install software update, I do a clean uninstall of the old version first to avoid any conflicts.

One nice thing is that SE was installed in C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal while the 8.1.4 folder is just named "Ad-Aware." But I'm not sure if they used different registry entries.
Before posting, please read the pinned topics atop the forums or check the Lavasoft searchable FAQs.

After following the instructions, open a new thread in the HijackThis Forum where you can copy/paste your HJT log.
Note: do not bump HJT threads by replying - volunteer security advisors help the 0 reply threads on a first-come, first-served basis.

#5 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

I uninstalled SE (folder for SE is now gone) and uninstalled/reinstalled 8.1.4 (and yes it is a big file, ~95MB) yet I still have the problem. Now I'm sometimes getting an error message, something like "Ad-Aware shut down unexpectedly" and it asks if I want to send info to Lavasot (which I did). Never had a problem like this with SE (or previous versions), so kind of disappointed with the problems I'm having with this new version.

#6 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Did you use the Ad-Aware uninstallers or Revo?

Someone else just had a similar problem going from SE to 8.1.4, getting the shutdown when trying to scan:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=28511

Does yours fail when trying to open the GUI or when trying to scan?

Edited by visitor, 10 February 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#7 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

Did you use the Ad-Aware uninstallers or Revo?

Someone else just had a similar problem going from SE to 8.1.4, getting the shutdown when trying to scan:

http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=28511

Does yours fail when trying to open the GUI or when trying to scan?

Did a complete uninstall using Revo. Reinstalled 8.2 Now my problem is two fold. 1) auto updating does not work. I have never had a problem with that feature but of course now it doesn't work. 2) I continue to have the problem of the ad-watch icon disappearing and can say it is 100% related to the update. Since it doesn't update automatically the ad-watch icon remains. As soon as I manually update (which works so that tells me there is no connection/firewall issues) the icon disappears.

Can someone help me get the auto updating to work. I'll live with icon disappearing. Also, if I do need to continue to update manually (no big deal I used to do it with SE) are the updates cumulative? Meaning do I have to update each definition or would .0167 cover .0166 and earlier?

Edited by brusoft, 05 March 2010 - 04:40 AM.

#8 'LizBeth

'LizBeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

Hi brusoft,

8.2 has lots of problems, 1 of them being the auto update funtion. I had 8.2 and went to back to 8.1.4, for that very reason.

I've never used Revo, so I can't advise re: that. What I do do, after going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and removing whatever Ad-Aware edition(s) you are using, is shut down and re-start my computer. If there are any remaining files left over, delete them. Shut down and re-start again. If you're using an older computer, it's better to turn it off for 15 mins or so.

Download and install a clean copy of 8.1.4 and adjust the settings to your liking. Personally, I don't like the icon, but yes, when you install a clean copy of 8.1.4 it should update the definition files automatically. :(

Hope this helps!
'LizBeth

#9 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

Did a complete uninstall using Revo. Reinstalled 8.2 Now my problem is two fold. 1) auto updating does not work. 2) I continue to have the problem of the ad-watch icon disappearing.

Are the updates cumulative? Meaning do I have to update each definition or would .0167 cover .0166 and earlier?

Another user cressy reported that 8.2 changed the auto-updates to only twice a week instead twice daily, that may be why your auto-update isn't working. You should have stuck with 8.1.4, as even Lavasoft is recommending it until they fix 8.2. When you use Revo, be sure to set it on the highest setting and after the uninstall let it remove all remnants. Once 8.1 is installed, allow it to upgrade to 8.1.4, but then turn off auto-updates so it won't update to 8.2.

The definition updates are cumulative, so you don't have to worry about missing any. You can also manually update the definitions only, without software upgrades:

http://www.lavasoft....hat-should-i-do

#10 brusoft

brusoft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

You should have stuck with 8.1.4, as even Lavasoft is recommending it until they fix 8.2.

Really? So how come whenever I started the program there was a "suggestion" from Lavasoft to update to 8.2?

Is there a link to 8.1 you can provide? Also I don't think the auto updater would automatically update to 8.2. At least it wasn't doing it for me. I did it myself, which is ironic because I rarely update any program so soon (I never updated from Ad-Aware SE until going to 8.1).

And now that I know I can manually update every few days and not worry about missing updates I may just do that. I do it with many other programs. But a link to 8.1 would be helpful. Thanks

I should say that I ran a full scan using 8.2 and it seemed to work ok. Certainly no error messages. There was a point where the items scanned said something like 130,000 (I got a lot of junk) and then I looked later and it was 37,000 or something. Still found a bunch of cookies which (luckily) is all it typically finds for me. So other than the update issues (twice a week updates seem ok, I'll have to see if it does them) and the Ad-watch icon disappearing (which also occurred with 8.1.4) I can't say that 8.2 isn't working, at least for me.

Edited by brusoft, 05 March 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#11 visitor

visitor

Advanced Member

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2855 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

That "update to 8.2" suggestion is just part of the program with the last update of 8.1, so if it appears, just disregard. They didn't know 8.2 was going to be such a nightmare, LOL. The number of objects scanned decreasing is another problem we've reported.

Link to 8.1
http://download.lava...nstallation.exe

#12 'LizBeth

'LizBeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:01 AM

Brusoft,

Here's another thought re: your icon disappearing . . . Have you checked your Taskbar settings? Right click on your Taskbar, click on Properties; then on the Taskbar tab, click Customize, and adjust your taskbar icon settings from there. Click OK, then Apply, then OK once more.

Hope this helps!
'LizBeth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users