• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Going through the Revo process to uninstall Ad Aware 2007, I got to the step where you're asked to carefully "check" which files you want to delete. I checked all the ones that had Ad Aware 2007 in the name but did not check the bolded files that were just numbers/letters with no words -- I have no way of knowing if it's safe to delete these files or not. There were quite a few of them. The Revo result was that the Ad Aware 2007 stopped showing up on my "show all programs" list; the Lavasoft folder says "empty" (but this may still be a problem, I guess, if there even is still a Lavasoft folder?)

BUT when I go to the control panel under programs currently installed, Ad Aware 2007 is still there and still won't be removed (same error message I got when I tried to uninstall Ad Aware 2007 from the "show all programs" list).

I've tried the solutions suggested and have an Ad Aware 2008 exe. icon on my desktop now but it won't let me run it in order to uninstall THAT -- it says the installation was corrupted. So I think I still have Ad Aware 2007, I don't know but what I have some of Ad Aware 2008, and I just want to get rid of both so that I can renew my antivirus software.

Any suggestions? Thanks -

#2 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately the random names probably were related to ad-aware, but it can be hard to tell if they are.

If Ad-aware 2007 is still showing in Revo, use Revo to uninstall the remnants and delete the suggested files (I've not heard of the program getting it wrong with ad-aware uninstallations). You might want to check that the names of the folder (or parent folders) include ad-aware/lavasoft.

Also remove the 2008 version. Then try and install 2008.

Let me know how you get on,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#3 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately the random names probably were related to ad-aware, but it can be hard to tell if they are.

If Ad-aware 2007 is still showing in Revo, use Revo to uninstall the remnants and delete the suggested files (I've not heard of the program getting it wrong with ad-aware uninstallations). You might want to check that the names of the folder (or parent folders) include ad-aware/lavasoft.

Also remove the 2008 version. Then try and install 2008.

Let me know how you get on,

Casey

I probably should have said that initially when I ask Revo to remove Ad Aware 2007, I get an error message (the same as I got when trying to uninstall or install either Ad Aware 2007 or 2008) and the line of progress along the bottom remains filled but doesn't disappear. I had just hit "next" and hoped for the best, and the most obvious Ad Aware 2007 files that were in bold, that I checked, did disappear. But maybe the error message meant that Revo also can't remove the Ad Aware 2007.
I can't remove Ad Aware 2008 from the desktop, as you suggest -- I even get the same error message when trying to run or uninstall THAT.
Sounds pretty hopeless.

#4 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Ok,

Let's do a quick check to see if they are actually installed or if they are just still appearing to be.

Please navigate to the folder (system root) C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware

Is there anything in there?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#5 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Ok,

Let's do a quick check to see if they are actually installed or if they are just still appearing to be.

Please navigate to the folder (system root) C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware

Is there anything in there?

Casey

This is very nice of you! Yes, the Ad Aware 2007 is in the Lavasoft folder in Program files on the C drive. The 2008 doesn't appear. (I think all that happened when I "installed" that was that the icon got saved onto the desktop -- and I have deleted it.)
Karen

#6 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

Ok,

well what we'll do then, is try and reinstall 2007 - to replace any corrupt files.

then we'll uninstall that and then reinstall 2008.

In case you need one, here is a download link for 2007

Let me know how that works,

Casey

#7 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ok,

well what we'll do then, is try and reinstall 2007 - to replace any corrupt files.

then we'll uninstall that and then reinstall 2008.

In case you need one, here is a download link for 2007

Let me know how that works,

Casey

Is there any reason to install 2008? I'm trying to get to the point where I don't have any Ad Aware installed on my computer, so that I can renew my anti-virus software (which is who told me to uninstall Ad Aware to start with).

Is there something special I should when I try to reinstall 2007 again? When I did this yesterday, I did a google search and got to the snapfiles link for Ad Aware 2007 before; I tried to install it and got the same error message. I also tried to download it and save it to the desktop as the instructions on Lavasoft support said to do, then run as administrator, but again got the same error message (Error 1327, I think, is the message).

Thanks,
Karen

#8 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

Also - when I download and try to install Ad-Aware 2007 from the snapfile site, it gets me to a point where it says that "Ad-Aware 2007 version 7.0.2.1 is already installed; I must uninstall it before installing this Ad-Aware 2007 Version 7.0.2.6; do I want to uninstall 7.0.2.1 now?" I click "yes" and I get the famliar error.

#9 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

This must be annoying for you!

We'll have to manually remove the files.

Please delete the Lavasoft folders located at:

Vista:
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft (you'll need to be able to view hidden folders for this)
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

XP:
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\All Users\Lavasoft (you'll need to be able to view hidden folders for this)
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

You then may have to delete the registry items which are left over from the installations. If you are comfortable in modifying the registry, then let me know and I'll guide you through. If not, use an application such as CCleaner - BUT only use it to delete ad-aware references. Again I can help if you need.

When we've done that we'll install 2008, just to check that everything is running ok. Then we can uninstall it again (hopefully with no problems!), by the way if you install 2008 after you install your anti-virus you should encounter no problems (which anti-virus sofware are you using by the way?)

Casey

Edited by casey_boy, 15 October 2008 - 09:14 PM.
added URL

#10 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

Thanks so much. Update: I have removed the Lavasoft folder from all 3 places you instructed me to. I'll check out the program you mention for getting rid of things in the registry - assuming it's something I can download free, as Revo was.

As for Ad Aware 2008 - yes, I have intended not to update Ad Aware until after I have been able to install the anti-virus software that I've renewed (NOD 32). The only reason I had tried (and seemed to have failed) to install 2008 was that it was suggested as a way to uninstall the 2007. I don't want 2008 on my computer causing the same problem as 2007.

#11 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

Good :)

Yep it is free, but it can be dangerous if you delete the wrong thing, so use with caution. Good luck and let me know how everything goes.

Casey

#12 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Good :)

Yep it is free, but it can be dangerous if you delete the wrong thing, so use with caution. Good luck and let me know how everything goes.

Casey

I did the cleaner and now I've clicked on "Registry." Do I do the "scan for issues"?

#13 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

yep :)

#14 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

The CCleaner found 18 things that were left after Lavasoft Ad Aware 2007 was uninstalled -- and CCleaner's solution was to delete those references from the registry. But the implication was that there wasn't anything really on the computer from Ad Aware 2007; the name was just showing up on the registry.

But Ad Aware 2007 still shows up as a program on my computer (on the control panel programs list) and I still can't delete it without getting (1) the 1327 error message followed by (2) a message saying that Windows is configuring Ad Aware 2007, and finally (3) a message saying that the installation was corrupted or something like that.

So I guess at this point I will just take my chances and install my antivirus software, unless there is something else left to try.

Thanks for all the help -
Karen

#15 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

Yes there is one more thing we can do and that is to remove the program from the program list.

Again we will use CCleaner.

Open CCleaner > Tools > Uninstall > Ad-Aware 2007 > Delete Entry

You should now be clean (enough) of ad-aware and the other applications should install fine. Again, let me know how you get on.

Casey

#16 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

I tried this and when I hit "delete entry" the message I get says "cannot delete MSI installer." Any idea what that means? Could I try the "uninstaller" button when Ad Aware 2007 is highlighted?
Karen

#17 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

Ok try that :)

#18 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

Not surprisingly, I get the same error message I've gotten from the get-go: "Error 1327. Invalid Drive I" something. Oddly, when I went back just now to get the error message to type it in verbatim here, I hit "run uninstaller" again and this time it said that the "installer" was still working on an installation and to wait for the next installation. So I don't know what's going on.

#19 casey_boy

casey_boy

• PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

the first uninstallation hasn't properly finished (because it didnt properly start).

Ok, you're going to have to manually remove ad-aware from the Programs List. Here are instructions on how to do so: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

Casey

#20 ren78

ren78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

I removed the registry key. (That felt great to find and delete it!) However, the Ad Aware 2007 is still showing up on my control panel's list of currently installed programs -- WITHOUT the button that says "change/delete" next to it. So maybe that means that it's been deleted but the name just can't be gotten rid of. I tried shutting down the computer and re-starting, and it's still there.

I'm keeping the backup "uninstall.reg" file on my desktop in case I need it. The instructions don't really provide for what to do if your program has NOT been removed in the control panel's list.

I know I've said this at least twice before - but this is probably really the last thing we can try, isn't it?

Thanks so much for all the help.
Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users