• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 moenick

moenick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

I can't get it to do a complete scan. it always freezes up at a certain point. Anyone have any advice on this??? I don't have Zone Alarm, just Kaspersky Internet security trial version. Any suggestions would be great. It freezes on both the smart scan and a full scan. I run Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks in advance.

#2 Lennart LS

Lennart LS

Former Lavasoft employee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

Please make a web update and download the latest files. Please report again if the problem stays after the update.

We had a known issue with scaning Kaspersky file at release date, but that should have been fixed now.

/den Gode

#3 Linux2009

Linux2009

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Hi moenick are you having windows xp sp3. Some people are complaining about it, writing that ad-aware crashes during scan. Always the same file.

Edited by Linux2009, 26 May 2008 - 05:47 PM.

#4 moenick

moenick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:24 AM

I did a web update but it didn't help with the freezing issue. It stopped on C:\Windows\Cursor\ . It states that there were 317 infections found. but it won't let me do anything. The scan isn't finished but has been on this since the time read 00:12:13 and it now reads 00:59:04 when i move the cursor over the program box it turns into a hour glass shape. I tried to uninstall Ad-Aware free and install the trial version of Pro, but it wouldn't install on my computer. It stated that the program suffered a fatal error and terminated installation.

I'm by no means very good with a computer, so please forgive my lack of technical information. Can I install the 2007 version and it work???? Is there a place to download it??? I had 2007 on my computer and tried to reinstall it, it came up and stated that the installation was terminated due to an error and wouldn't let me install it.

thanks.

Edited by moenick, 27 May 2008 - 02:37 AM.

#5 snoma01

snoma01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:23 AM

Please make a web update and download the latest files. Please report again if the problem stays after the update.

We had a known issue with scaning Kaspersky file at release date, but that should have been fixed now.

/den Gode

I know there is a known problem pertainit to Adaware freezing with Kaspersky AV.

I use AdAware 2008 (free) v7.1.0.8; Japanese Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Kaspersky v6.0.2.690

Even with Kaspersky turned off, two of my PCs freeze (hourglass mode) during scanning:

On one PC -
Current path: c:\windows\
Current object: ctccw.dll
total objects scanned: 106,756

On another PC -
Current path: c:\windows\cursors
Current object: move-rl.cur
total objects scanned: 112,394

PS: With AdAware 2007 (free version) I did not have any problem.
Best regards from Japan
snoma01

#6 Txnnok

Txnnok

Ad-Aware 2008 Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:43 AM

If you install Adaware 2007 it willnot catch all the infections. Have you tried shutting down Kap. during the scan or for the deletion? not sure this will work, but is worth a try.

Windows 8.1

#7 moenick

moenick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

I have tried a web update, I shut down everything, the antivirus, made sure that the windows firewall wasn't on, no emails open, and no internet explorer running. it got to a spot then froze again. i'm not sure exactly what all it stated, but it was in the lavasoft program, mini messaging. i tried to start the scan just now and it stated that the core server was busy, and that the scanner was busy. everytime it does this i have to restart my computer. could there be something on my computer preventing this scan? I scanned with ewido and it picked up some but why i tried to scan with ad aware it stated that there were still 137 things there without completing the scan. thanks

#8 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure why the scan is freezing, but as you know there is some problem with specific computer set ups.

The reason you are getting a core engine busy error is because the 'scan' hasn't actually stoppped. What you can do instead of restarting your computer is to restart the service.

This can be done by Run>services>Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service>Restart

This should then allow Ad-Aware to run properly again.

It is possible that there are infections, firstly try emptying your browser cache (for IE Tools>Delete Browsing History) as this will get rid of any cookies. Then try and scan again.

Post back and let us know.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#9 casey_boy

casey_boy

Volunteer Helper/Moderator

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3565 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

try the same but with 'services.msc' if that doesnt work then try 'msconfig.exe' and then click on the services tab.

post back,

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *Lavasoft Customer Support

#10 cornishgirl9

cornishgirl9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have followed all advice, including deleting and reinstalling 3 times!!!!!
How can I go back to AdAware 2007. My easy to use and trusted friend.
Celia :)

#11 London Beat

London Beat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

try the same but with 'services.msc' if that doesnt work then try 'msconfig.exe' and then click on the services tab.

post back,

Tried services.msc and worked but it couldn´t stop adwareservices because this wasn´t responding! I think the only solution is restart the PC.

Thanks anyway

Edited by casey_boy, 30 May 2008 - 06:53 PM.
Mod. Edit. Irrelevant Links removed

#12 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:54 AM

THere was an update to the program released today (May 30) that should resolve the freezing problems some people have been having.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users