• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kiliki

Kiliki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

It looks like I have to upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007 Free from Ad-Aware SE Personal. However, does anyone know if this program is compatible with Microsoft Live One Care? Thanks.

#2 Tippy55

Tippy55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

It looks like I have to upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007 Free from Ad-Aware SE Personal. However, does anyone know if this program is compatible with Microsoft Live One Care? Thanks.

Hi Kiliki, Ad-Aware Pro 2007 is not compatible with Live One Care, I don't know whether the 2007 free version is. Read THIS
Press any key..., no, no, NOT that one !!

#3 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

Tippy55,

I have answered you in your own Topic here. As I posted there, as a licensed user you should be contacting Support to resolve any problems you may be experiencing.

This "incompatability" is a new one on me and we have a number of posters with Windows Live One Care.

Please remember that, as with all programs, what works on one system may encounter issues on a different one.

Spike

EDIT: From the posts below it appears that there is indeed a new compatability issue with Windows Live One Care. Apologies for my initial response.

Edited by spike-nz, 03 February 2008 - 05:37 AM.
To correct original post

#4 bjcs

bjcs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

quote:
"This "incompatability" is a new one on me and we have a number of posters with Windows Live One Care."

It's a brand new wrinkle. Yesterday I woke my PC up and found this message from OneCare:
OneCare is maintaining you PC making the following programs unnecessary. Keeping these programs installed may affect the operation on OneCare and cause severe performance problems for your computer.
It insists I uninstall AdAware 2007 completely, turning off AdWatch is not good enough. I don't know what the consequences of not uninstalling the program would be, but some people would rather trust Lavasoft to monitor malware than Microsoft.
bjcs

#5 condorhiker

condorhiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

quote:
"This "incompatability" is a new one on me and we have a number of posters with Windows Live One Care."

It's a brand new wrinkle. Yesterday I woke my PC up and found this message from OneCare:
OneCare is maintaining you PC making the following programs unnecessary. Keeping these programs installed may affect the operation on OneCare and cause severe performance problems for your computer.
It insists I uninstall AdAware 2007 completely, turning off AdWatch is not good enough. I don't know what the consequences of not uninstalling the program would be, but some people would rather trust Lavasoft to monitor malware than Microsoft.
bjcs

I've been using OneCare for about a year. I've also been using Ad-Aware SE Personal until yesterday. I like Ad-Aware because it seems to find a lot of spyware that OneCare doesn't find. OneCare is useful to me for a firewall, for backup, and for disk cleanup. Everything was fine until I switched to Ad-Aware Personal 2007 yesterday. Then I got the same or a very similar message that bjcs got from OneCare, that I had to uninstall Ad-Aware 2007. I'd like to use Ad-Aware only on demand (from me), to clean out spyware when I think my computer needs it. Can anyone help?

#6 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:59 AM

Hi bjcs & condorhiker ,

Thanks for the info - I'll pass it on to the Devs so that the issue can be resolved.

As I said above - I haven't seen this before. I'll post back when I know more.

Regards,

Spike

#7 winchester73

winchester73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:55 PM

http://phbt.us/images/wloc.jpg
Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

Member of IPB Image, the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

#8 bjcs

bjcs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

http://phbt.us/images/wloc.jpg

That's the message. And when you click on "Why should I uninstall these applications" the page has nothing to do with the case, and when you click on "Uninstall now" after the dire warnings it says, "are you sure you want to uninstall this program?"

#9 winchester73

winchester73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

I should think this conflict occurs because both applications operate as a service, and theoretically they might detect and attempt to remove the same malware simultaneously.

Edited by winchester73, 03 February 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Speak softly, but carry a big Winchester ... Winchester Arms Collectors Association member

#10 glonmo

glonmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:39 AM

I installed the new free version of Adaware yesterday and had the same conflict with OneCare so I uninstalled Adaware. I had no such problem with the prior version of Adaware. I wonder if Lavasoft can come up with a "fix" so that the two programs are compatible?[

#11 seanet1310

seanet1310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

onecare only released the update on the 31st of Jan 2008 that contains the message about the conflict previous to this onecare did not report any conflicts.
hopefuly it can be fixed as i would rather not choice between the programs

#12 looking4help

looking4help

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

onecare only released the update on the 31st of Jan 2008 that contains the message about the conflict previous to this onecare did not report any conflicts.
hopefuly it can be fixed as i would rather not choice between the programs

Yes -- I hope the issue is quickly resolved. I too do not want to make a choice of which program to remove -- they both offer useful tools.

Anyone know an alternative to Ad-Aware 2007, should the issue not be resolved ?
I currently also use SpyBot Search & Destroy for some of LavaSoft's functionality, however, it takes a bit longer to run.

#13 seanet1310

seanet1310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:00 AM

I would presonaly go back to ad-aware SE and update its definitions as much as posible without touching the builds if possible.
Spybot and ad-aware catch different things so you are best to run both (not scanning at the same time as there is an extreamly small chance of them creating instability. also the CPU will hate you if u try)
ccleaner seams to be quick but doesnt provide all the functions of Adaware and im not sure on how good it is as ive only just started with it myself. (if i breach any rules Sorry in advance i had a look and it may break advertising but i doubt it) I would take AD aware over it any day though. (running both with spybot s and d aswell as WLOC would offer best protection)

#14 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hello All,

This is a brand new issue as reported by the above posters - Lavasoft is now working on a method to resolve the problem.

Please allow some time to communicate with MS before considering alternative apps.

Regards,

Spike

#15 winchester73

winchester73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

OneCare's situation with AdAware 2007 (and also McAfee Site Advisor btw) is from the update released 31/1/08. I'm sure it will all get sorted out as Spike suggests.

For now, there is a simple solution ... either uninstall one of the two programs or ignore the conflict warning from OneCare. Kind of obvious, no?

#16 PoolBoy

PoolBoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:43 AM

For now, there is a simple solution ... either uninstall one of the two programs or ignore the conflict warning from OneCare. Kind of obvious, no?

Obvious unless you are one of the thousands who followed One Care's advice to remove the program and now have the dreaded 1720 error message and can not uninstall the program.

#17 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi PoolBoy,

Please see this AAW 2007 FAQ: How do I resolve the "Error 1722" problem?

As to the "compatibility issue" caused by the 31st Jan One Care update, please see this thread over in the MS forums (there are several actually), but this is the longest one:

OneCare and AdAware should not conflict with each other..... http://forums.micros...e...79&SiteID=2

You can leave Ad-Aware 2007 installed in conjunction with OneCare, but it's icon will remain red in the system tray indicating a problem and advising to remove Ad-Aware as an "Interfering Program"- the suggested work-around for Ad-Aware users with OneCare installed is to just ignore the red warning from OneCare until MS gets this mess straightened out.

For those unhappy with that suggestion, choose which program to uninstall - then post in the MS forums, giving them your own personal opinion about this new "wrinkle"...

Other products being targeted by One Care at this time appear to be: McAfee Site Advisor and AVG Antispyware.

Regards,

Spike

#18 condorhiker

condorhiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hi PoolBoy,

Please see this AAW 2007 FAQ: How do I resolve the "Error 1722" problem?

As to the "compatibility issue" caused by the 31st Jan One Care update, please see this thread over in the MS forums (there are several actually), but this is the longest one:

OneCare and AdAware should not conflict with each other..... http://forums.micros...e...79&SiteID=2

You can leave Ad-Aware 2007 installed in conjunction with OneCare, but it's icon will remain red in the system tray indicating a problem and advising to remove Ad-Aware as an "Interfering Program"- the suggested work-around for Ad-Aware users with OneCare installed is to just ignore the red warning from OneCare until MS gets this mess straightened out.

For those unhappy with that suggestion, choose which program to uninstall - then post in the MS forums, giving them your own personal opinion about this new "wrinkle"...

Other products being targeted by One Care at this time appear to be: McAfee Site Advisor and AVG Antispyware.

Regards,

Spike

#19 condorhiker

condorhiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

As soon as I started receiving the message from OneCare that Ad-Aware 2007 was incompatible, my computer slowed to a crawl. I uninstalled Ad-Aware, but my computer's operation was still very slow. I assumed that it was because I had picked up some tracking cookies that I had previously been able to remove with Ad-Aware. But could MS have done something in their 1/31/08 update of OneCare that has caused my computer to slow down? My computer is marginal anyway, it's a 6-year-old IBM Thinkpad with 250 MB of RAM.

#20 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hi condorhiker,

As soon as I started receiving the message from OneCare that Ad-Aware 2007 was incompatible, my computer slowed to a crawl....But could MS have done something in their 1/31/08 update of OneCare that has caused my computer to slow down?

The two events happening at the same time may be a coincidence - then again, maybe not.

Since you have uninstalled AAW 2007 and the sluggishness persists, I would suggest going to the One Care forums and post a request for assistance there: http://forums.micros...t.aspx?siteid=2

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users