• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 gazania

gazania

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

I've just spent the good part of the last hour trying to download the newest version of AdAware. I deleted the old version, as instructed, but when I try to download the new version, I either get nothing at all, a "this file is protected" warning (when I try to save the file and open the exe), or a Trojan Downloader Virus warning (from my AVG). AVG then automatically moves the file to the Virus Vault.

I've tried using CNET, MajorGeeks and FileHippo. If I run the file, it just disappears. Nothing happens.

I've tried to turn off the firewall and AVG and saved the file to a folder. When I put AVG back on, I get the "Infected" indication and the automatic move. I have AVG on my other computer as well, and had no problems at all with the newest version of AdAware. It's only on this computer. I use Windows firewall on both computers. AVG claims the Trojan name is Downloader Generic5.PIO, and it's in my Temp files. Of course, neither Google nor AVG have anything about this.

The only thing that worked was to re-download the old pre-2007 AdAware and force a manual update. But I would think that sometime in the future, that won't be possible.

What could be blocking the update on this computer? Do you know of any particular programs that are causing trouble? As far as I know, I don't have anything on this computer that is different from the programs on the other one!

#2 Castle

Castle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

I just got this same message today, although I already had ad aware 2007 installed, I figured uninstalling and reinstalling would get rid of it, however it did not...

When trying to reinstall I ran into exactly what you did.. except I can manually choose to ignore, send to vault, or remove

Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO

so of coarse I chose not install it (adaware2007).. but I would really like to have my adaware 2007 back... it seemed to remove a good bit when I ran it.... seemed like a useful tool

I've been trying to research this and like you have found nothing....

anyone?

Edited by Castle, 09 August 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#3 Geoshar18

Geoshar18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

I just got this same message today, although I already had ad aware 2007 installed, I figured uninstalling and reinstalling would get rid of it, however it did not...

When trying to reinstall I ran into exactly what you did.. except I can manually choose to ignore, send to vault, or remove

Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO

so of coarse I chose not install it (adaware2007).. but I would really like to have my adaware 2007 back... it seemed to remove a good bit when I ran it.... seemed like a useful tool

I've been trying to research this and like you have found nothing....

anyone?

I am having the exact same issue. only I have been at it all afternoon.

#4 cat.1956

cat.1956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Me too, I've been working on the thing for most of the afternoon. AVG is detecting the same trojan horse on my machine. I reformatted about a week ago and when I reinstalled Ad-aware it had the new look. I have been running things as usual and then today AVG detected the same Trojan. It seemed that the source was the downloaded Ad-Aware.exe file that I failed to delete after the install. I got the same security warning as soon as I opened the folder to locate the file and deleted it. So then, I went back to Lavasoft and downloaded the Ad-Aware.exe again to see what would happen. Same security warning. I currently have the 2007 version installed. I use AVG apps as well, wonder if there is some sort of conflict? Though I don't know why it would look like a trojan to Ad-Aware. Sure hope we can get to the bottom of this

#5 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this. Sounds like AVG is producing a false postive. I'm downloading the 2007 version from Download.com right now and will check it out for you.
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Look for the *New Topic* Button near the top right when viewing the forums.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

Microsoft MVP/Windows - Security 2003-2009

#6 Normola

Normola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

If you're desperate to install it, you could temporarily de-active the on-access scanner and switch it back on when you're done. It's only the installer getting flagged, no parts of the installed program are affected.

#7 CenCal

CenCal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

I just installed AdAware SE also and received the same message from AVG :(

#8 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

I have sent the file and reported this false positive to AVG. We will have to wait for them to respond and hope to resolve this issue as quickly as possible
Please do NOT send Private Messages to Staff or helpers to request assistance! We do not give a personal support via PM The way to request help is to post a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate forum.

Here in the forums, replies are posted to topics only. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Plus and Pro Ad-Aware users (only) may use the Support Center for personal assistance:
Support Center

#9 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

fostertom and I am not Eva,

Your problems are not related to the ones reported by the original topic starter. I'm going to move your posts into your own new topic and then I'll come back and post a link to them here.

fostertom: Your topic is Here (click this link to follow it)

I am not EVA: Your topic is Here (click this link to follow it)

Support Center

#10 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:02 PM

Update:

This has been confirmed a FALSE DETECTION by AVG/Grisoft

This will be fixed in their next update!

Here is the email I just received from them:

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 9:02 AM
Subject: AVG Technical support

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The file that you sent us is a false detection. It will be removed from
detection in today┬┤s AVG update.

Thank you for your cooperation. It is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Pavel Durdak
AVG Technical Support

Support Center

#11 l36suds

l36suds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

I had same results today (8/10/07) BUT not yesterday?! . .what is with all these false positives . .the NEW AdAware PLUS 2007 seems to be loaded with 'stuff' .. are we being used as guinea pigs? .. I had downloaded AdAware Plus LONG ago . .kept it as backup . found it both in 'setup' and system restore . removed all .. AND .. AND .. NO downloads/updates ... latest update that SHOWS is 7/23 . yet, LOG shows 7/31 . .I dunno . this IS a good product . I DO pay for it .. but an awful lot of trouble for 'to me' 'not ready for prime time' proggie . was perfectly happy with AdAware SE (also paid for) .. :D :D

#12 yewteeguy

yewteeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I've just spent the good part of the last hour trying to download the newest version of AdAware. I deleted the old version, as instructed, but when I try to download the new version, I either get nothing at all, a "this file is protected" warning (when I try to save the file and open the exe), or a Trojan Downloader Virus warning (from my AVG). AVG then automatically moves the file to the Virus Vault.

I've tried using CNET, MajorGeeks and FileHippo. If I run the file, it just disappears. Nothing happens.

I've tried to turn off the firewall and AVG and saved the file to a folder. When I put AVG back on, I get the "Infected" indication and the automatic move. I have AVG on my other computer as well, and had no problems at all with the newest version of AdAware. It's only on this computer. I use Windows firewall on both computers. AVG claims the Trojan name is Downloader Generic5.PIO, and it's in my Temp files. Of course, neither Google nor AVG have anything about this.

The only thing that worked was to re-download the old pre-2007 AdAware and force a manual update. But I would think that sometime in the future, that won't be possible.

What could be blocking the update on this computer? Do you know of any particular programs that are causing trouble? As far as I know, I don't have anything on this computer that is different from the programs on the other one!

#13 yewteeguy

yewteeguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hi All,
If you have AVG Anti-Virus installed in your PC and it prompts something like ".....ignore, send to vault, or remove.....Trojan Horse Downloader.Generic5.PIO" you need to disable the anti-virus system (for software installation), this usually means disabling the OnAccess scanner. (The AVG Resident Shield). Please open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component -> deselect the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting. When you need to enable the AVG Resident Shield, just open the AVG Control Center program -> double-click on the "AVG Resident Shield" component -> select the "Turn on AVG Resident Shield" checkmark and save the setting.
Please bear in mind that the AVG Resident Shield is the first line of defense against infection. When it is disabled, it is possible to execute infected files and infect your computer. Please re-enable the AVG Resident Shield after your installation is complete. :rolleyes:

#14 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

I had same results today (8/10/07) BUT not yesterday?! . .what is with all these false positives . .(

That false positive is AVG's fault/problem, not ours. There is nothing wrong with the installer and it is not infected. AVG will correct this in their next update.

Support Center

#15 l36suds

l36suds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

That false positive is AVG's fault/problem, not ours. There is nothing wrong with the installer and it is not infected. AVG will correct this in their next update.

OK . .I saw that they thanked you and would fix .. meanwhile .. deleted all that I had 'stored' .. BUT .. I just tried to d/l updates .. None . .then said 'there are updates .. do you want them?' . YES .. downloaded something for AdWatch (THINK) .. still says latest downloads are from 7/23/07 .. HUH? ..

thank you

#16 Munchausen

Munchausen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

OK . .I saw that they thanked you and would fix .. meanwhile .. deleted all that I had 'stored' .. BUT .. I just tried to d/l updates .. None . .then said 'there are updates .. do you want them?' . YES .. downloaded something for AdWatch (THINK) .. still says latest downloads are from 7/23/07 .. HUH? ..

thank you

Folks,

Please clarify something for me.

I thought, thanks to Calamity Jane, that I could go on about my business now that the 17.32 MB Downloader.Generic5.PIO has been ID'd as a false positive. However, your post indicates that I should delete all Lavasoft AdAware 2007 updates in order to be safe.

I'm eager to learn your advice. Thank you in advance.

#17 l36suds

l36suds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

Folks,

Please clarify something for me.

I thought, thanks to Calamity Jane, that I could go on about my business now that the 17.32 MB Downloader.Generic5.PIO has been ID'd as a false positive. However, your post indicates that I should delete all Lavasoft AdAware 2007 updates in order to be safe.

I'm eager to learn your advice. Thank you in advance.

I think I would listen to Calamity Jane on that! .. had I checked here first would NOT have deleted it .. JMHO:)

#18 LS CalamityJane

LS CalamityJane

Former Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8814 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

Let me see if I can help with those latest questions and maybe explain a little bit how this works.

AVG had an update yesterday that detected our installer file (aaw2007.exe) as a trojan. This was a false detection and they were notified and saw the error and will fix it. But you will need to wait for AVG to post their next update which should no longer detect our file as a trojan.

I have just seen someone post to another board that indeed, there is a new update today for AVG. If you all running AVG would update that program (not ours) and then it should no longer detect our installer as infected.

Let me know, please?

It was my understanding the the only file AVG was falsely identifying as a trojan was our installer for Ad-aware 2007. This would not affect our updates to our program.

What you need to do is update AVG and make sure that program is no longer detecting any Ad-Aware files as infected.

Support Center

#19 l36suds

l36suds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:51 PM

AVG just updated .

BUT why does Ad Aware PLUS not show latesst updates? .. still says 7/31/07 .. log says 8/6/07 .. says you have latest . then says .. there are new updates do you want them? .. what is going on? ..

My Scan today was clean ..

Thank you ..

#20 243r

243r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Let me see if I can help with those latest questions and maybe explain a little bit how this works.

AVG had an update yesterday that detected our installer file (aaw2007.exe) as a trojan. This was a false detection and they were notified and saw the error and will fix it. But you will need to wait for AVG to post their next update which should no longer detect our file as a trojan.

I have just seen someone post to another board that indeed, there is a new update today for AVG. If you all running AVG would update that program (not ours) and then it should no longer detect our installer as infected.

Let me know, please?

It was my understanding the the only file AVG was falsely identifying as a trojan was our installer for Ad-aware 2007. This would not affect our updates to our program.

What you need to do is update AVG and make sure that program is no longer detecting any Ad-Aware files as infected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users