• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ambow

ambow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:51 PM

I downloaded the 2007 version but the old AdAWARE is still on my computer.
When I tried to use ADD/REMOVE programs I got the response INSTALL.LOG
file not found.

any ideas??/

#2 Bluehound

Bluehound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

file not found.

any ideas??/

The same is happening to me! One computer perfect uninstall....The other same response as "ambow".

#3 Ronisha

Ronisha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:22 AM

file not found.

any ideas??/

I am having the exact same problem . . .please let me know if you are able to fix this problem. . .I appreciate it :angry:

#4 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hello All,

First point - previous versions of Ad-Aware should always be uninstalled before installing the latest. Too late for that advice now.

Please see this FAQ: I Am Unable To Uninstall My Ad-aware Program. I Get The Message "can't Find Install.log"

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#5 ambow

ambow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

file not found.

any ideas??/

Thanks my problem is solved.

#6 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:14 AM

Hi ambow,

Good to hear that :wub:

Regards,

Spike

#7 WallowaGuy

WallowaGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

To: Spike-NZ

Thanks for the FAQ tip for the Install.log file problem. However, I followed the FAQ methods and none of them worked.

For method #3, I found the unwise.exe file but it did not contain the needed install.log file so it wouldn't work.

When I tried the manual uninstall method I could not find the unregaaw.exe file anywhere on my computer.

Any more suggestions or tips? I'm sure lots of people trying to install the AdAware 2007 are having the same problem.

Thanks.

WallowaGuy

#8 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:42 AM

Hi WallowaGuy,

Just to be clear, did you try and install AAW 2007 over the top of AAW SE 1.06? (OK, take a deep breath - here goes ....) If so, try reinstalling AAW 2007 - as per my post in this Topic: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=10094

Instead of "Repair", select "Uninstall" - should remove AAW 2007.

Then reinstall AAW SE 1.06 again (free Personal version still available from http://www.filehippo..._ad-aware/?2466 as per my post here: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=9973). This should then allow you to remove it properly. Once that is done, you should then be able to reinstall AAW 2007.

A bit complicated - if someone has a quicker method to suggest, please feel free to jump in :)

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Spike

#9 WallowaGuy

WallowaGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

Spike-NZ

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that AdAware 2007 uninstalls previous versions otherwise I would have tried that directly. Instead, I tried uninstalling the previous version first. That's what started my problem.

Anyway, what I did (on poster Korab's advice) was to re-install my original version (kind of like you suggested). That seems to have restored the missing or corrupted files (e.g., install.log). Once the files were back in place I was able to uninstall the original version from scratch. That worked. I then installed AdAware 2007.

It might be helpful for Lavasoft to prominently announce that AdAware 2007 will automatically uninstall all previous versions. While that may be common for software updates, there are some (many?) of us still used to uninstalling previous software versions before installing newer ones.

Once again, thanks.

WallowaGuy

#10 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 02:45 AM

Hi WallowaGuy,

spike-nz - Posted Jun 12 2007, 02:20 PM
First point - previous versions of Ad-Aware should always be uninstalled before installing the latest.

From my post further up the thread, previous versions should be uninstalled first.

spike-nz - Posted Jun 21 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi WallowaGuy,
Just to be clear, did you try and install AAW 2007 over the top of AAW SE 1.06?

I was not sure which way you had gone.

Anyway, what I did (on poster Korab's advice) was to re-install my original version (kind of like you suggested). That seems to have restored the missing or corrupted files (e.g., install.log). Once the files were back in place I was able to uninstall the original version from scratch. That worked. I then installed AdAware 2007.

That is the best way to get around the "install.log" problem.

there are some (many?) of us still used to uninstalling previous software versions before installing newer ones.

Yes, there is an in-built uninstaller, however it appears that it does not always remove the previous version completely, which may lead to problems. I still recommend that method and not just for Ad-Aware - prevents quite a few problems that can occur :)

try reinstalling AAW 2007 - as per my post in this Topic: http://www.lavasofts...showtopic=10094

aaw2007Pro___repair.gif
Running the AAW 2007 executable (.exe file) again (over the top of the existing installation) gives you these options - should your first installation not have been succesful, you can choose either "Repair" or "Uninstall" (then reinstall from scratch again). In beta testing, I found that the Repair function solved problems satisfactorily :D

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users