• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James Whitlow

James Whitlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

I played around with putting Ad-Aware.exe into a NTFS alternate data stream of a folder. This is what the folder looks like before execution:

C:\NewFolder:
:AdAware.exe:$DATA 824832

I can successfully load the program from a command prompt with "start .\NewFolder:AdAware.exe". The program complains about a lack of definitions and offers to download. The download appears to go well, but it complains that it is unable to load the definitions after download. Another look at the file:

:defs.ref:$DATA 658546

...shows that it did download and save the definitions, but it appears to be unable to load them from and ADS. It can save them to an ADS, but not load them from an ADS.

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

I played around with putting Ad-Aware.exe into a NTFS alternate data stream of a folder. This is what the folder looks like before execution:

I can successfully load the program from a command prompt with "start .\NewFolder:AdAware.exe". The program complains about a lack of definitions and offers to download. The download appears to go well, but it complains that it is unable to load the definitions after download. Another look at the file:

:defs.ref:$DATA 658546

...shows that it did download and save the definitions, but it appears to be unable to load them from and ADS. It can save them to an ADS, but not load them from an ADS.

An unusual method of running Ad-Aware. :) Try this to see if it helps. Start Ad-Aware from your ADS installation. Click on the gear icon to open General settings. In the "Using definitions file" section try editing the location of the definitions file to that of your ADS location. Does it now run OK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users