• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pete cooper

pete cooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

During setup it was suggested if eliminate the use of Flash as it was sometimes used in ads and therefore bad. I approved and something was set to eliminate it.
I now realize I need it and can't get it to download.
What can I do?

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hi

It depends on how flash was disabled. Was it removed or just blocked?

If it was removed then run the Adobe uninstaller to make sure it is removed correctly.

See http://www.adobe.com...cfm?id=tn_14157

Then reinstall flash from http://www.adobe.com...=ShockwaveFlash (during installation uncheck install Yahoo toolbar if you do not want this).

If flash is being blocked do you know what tool you used to do this?

#3 pete cooper

pete cooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:35 AM

Hi

It depends on how flash was disabled. Was it removed or just blocked?

If it was removed then run the Adobe uninstaller to make sure it is removed correctly.

See http://www.adobe.com...cfm?id=tn_14157

Then reinstall flash from http://www.adobe.com...=ShockwaveFlash (during installation uncheck install Yahoo toolbar if you do not want this).

If flash is being blocked do you know what tool you used to do this?

Sorry for not responding sooner, have been away.
I believe flash is beig blocked.
I have tried the 'offical' way to uninstall flash. It seems to work, I have run it several times.
I noticed it left a folder in 'windows/system32' named flash and I even tried deleting it, thinking it might prompt me to recreate new flash folder. tried it both ways, with and without the folder in existance.
When I ask for the download, the system pauses long enough for a file or folder to be downloaded. The next screen referces a 'movie' above (which never appears) and the program stalls there, but the download never really happened.
I tried searching the hard drive by date and time, noting the exact time the download was supposed to occur, thinking the data was stored in another folder and not the one I have named DOWNLOADS (which helps me locate all of my downloads, regardless of file type.
Again, no luck.
I have even tried re-installing ie7, and that doesn't work.

I believe it was Ad Aware that prompted me if I wanted to rid my system of 'flash' because the bad guys have been using it to do wrongdoing.
I expected to be able to reinstate it with a minimal amount of effort. WRONG !!!

I'm pretty much at wits end.
Any suggestions? (By the way suicide is not an option)

#4 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

Hi

It can be tricky as so many things could be causing your issue.

First close all web browsers and other applications that maybe trying to use flash such as any instant messaging applications such as MSN.

Then run the uninstaller again to be 100% sure. Flash has inbuilt mechanisms to protect it from malware so the only way to remove it correctly is using the Adobe uninstaller.

Then open Control Panel, select Internet Options (if using category view it is under "Network and Internt Connections"). In Internet Options click on the advanced tab, scroll down to multimedia section and enusre the option: "Play animations in web pages" is checked. If not check this item.

Then try to reinstall flash again. If it still fails please create and run the following command file.

Open notepad and cut and paste the following text, it should all be one line, it may wrap round but ensure that it is continuous in notepad. Note this is the exact text including quote marks and spaces.

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}\" > c:\regquery.txt

save this file somewhere easy to find as regquery.cmd. Then in Windows Explorer double click on the file to run the command. It will output the settings of the flash registry key to a file called regquery.txt to your c: drive.

Cut and paste the contents of this file in a reply. Open My Computer, select the c: drive, and you should see the regquery.txt file. Double click on it to open in notepad. Then cut and paste the contents in a reply.

Many thanks

#5 pete cooper

pete cooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hi

It can be tricky as so many things could be causing your issue.

First close all web browsers and other applications that maybe trying to use flash such as any instant messaging applications such as MSN.

Then run the uninstaller again to be 100% sure. Flash has inbuilt mechanisms to protect it from malware so the only way to remove it correctly is using the Adobe uninstaller.

Then open Control Panel, select Internet Options (if using category view it is under "Network and Internt Connections"). In Internet Options click on the advanced tab, scroll down to multimedia section and enusre the option: "Play animations in web pages" is checked. If not check this item.

Then try to reinstall flash again. If it still fails please create and run the following command file.

Open notepad and cut and paste the following text, it should all be one line, it may wrap round but ensure that it is continuous in notepad. Note this is the exact text including quote marks and spaces.

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}\" > c:\regquery.txt

save this file somewhere easy to find as regquery.cmd. Then in Windows Explorer double click on the file to run the command. It will output the settings of the flash registry key to a file called regquery.txt to your c: drive.

Cut and paste the contents of this file in a reply. Open My Computer, select the c: drive, and you should see the regquery.txt file. Double click on it to open in notepad. Then cut and paste the contents in a reply.

Many thanks

Thanks, I "got 'er done".
You have my eternal gratitude.
I didn't realize how many programs use flash

Thanks again
PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users