8 replies to this topic

#1 w2www

w2www

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:45 PM

-Using AdAware SE on windows xp.
-deleted and reloaded adaware program several times.
-even used regedit to delete all lavasoft entries.
-"norton av 2006" and "ccleaner" programs also stop scan on temp and temp internet files.
-disabled 'zone alarm' and 'surfinguard' programs, but same results.
-unable to delete temp or temp innternet files using windows explorer or ccleaner programs, windows responds 'cant delete, directory not emepty'.

-thanks for your assistance.

#2 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

w2www,
I recommend that you do a thorough Disk Defragmentation,
followed with Check or Scan Disk depending upon your version of Windows then
can you make sure that you are using
Ad-aware SE build 1.06
[if not Uninstall your old Ad-aware first then install SE make sure that if it is a paid for version you have your details to hand]
Then use the WebUpDate
to get the latest Definition file (SE1R108 17.05.2006)
then try starting in safe mode,
Safe mode is the Windows diagnostics mode. When you start the computer in Safe mode, only the specific components that are needed to run the operating system are loaded. Safe mode does not allow some functions, such as connection to the Internet. It also loads a standard video driver at a low resolution; therefore, your programs and the Windows desktop may look different than usual, In addition, the desktop icons may have moved to different locations on the desktop.
see
How to start the computer in Safe mode
Open your Ad-aware,
Click the "Settings" (The Gear) button at the top right to display the "Settings" main menu.
Click "Scanning".
Un-Tick 'Scan within archives' and
then Click on "Scanning Engine"
then un-Tick (un-check) "Unload recognised modules during scan"
then Click on the Proceed button.
Then scan with Ad-ware by doing a "Full Scan" and post your logfile here by using the "reply" feature,

GRAFX Posted Image
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
Q: does it work
A: It does seem to for a few hours at least
LandzDown

#3 w2www

w2www

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:16 PM

w2www,
I recommend that you do a thorough Disk Defragmentation,
followed with Check or Scan Disk depending upon your version of Windows then
can you make sure that you are using
Ad-aware SE build 1.06
[if not Uninstall your old Ad-aware first then install SE make sure that if it is a paid for version you have your details to hand]
Then use the WebUpDate
to get the latest Definition file (SE1R108 17.05.2006)
then try starting in safe mode,
Safe mode is the Windows diagnostics mode. When you start the computer in Safe mode, only the specific components that are needed to run the operating system are loaded. Safe mode does not allow some functions, such as connection to the Internet. It also loads a standard video driver at a low resolution; therefore, your programs and the Windows desktop may look different than usual, In addition, the desktop icons may have moved to different locations on the desktop.
see
How to start the computer in Safe mode
Open your Ad-aware,
Click the "Settings" (The Gear) button at the top right to display the "Settings" main menu.
Click "Scanning".
Un-Tick 'Scan within archives' and
then Click on "Scanning Engine"
then un-Tick (un-check) "Unload recognised modules during scan"
then Click on the Proceed button.
Then scan with Ad-ware by doing a "Full Scan" and post your logfile here by using the "reply" feature,

GRAFX Posted Image

#4 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

w2www,
Sorry now you have lost me now does quoting what I have posted to you mean that you have done as asked or by quoting what i asked means you going to try what was asked.
or are you trying to say some thing else and just forgot to type i the text in your post Posted Image

GRAFX Posted Image
press Enter then have a Brandy then if the problem is still there have another Brandy
LandzDown

#5 w2www

w2www

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:44 PM

thanks for your response and suggestions.

-i ran disk scan / defrad and windows update scan.
-i am running current adaware program with current updates.
-booted into safe mode and ran the following programs:
--ran adaware, which identified four critical registry keys, but then locked up at "hkey_local_machine\software...".
----adaware program wouldnt allow me to access the identified files and i had to manually turnoff the computer.
----i also ran nav 2006, it locked up at "documents and settings\patrick\locals\temp\werc9.temp.dir00\appcom.pat.txt. again had to manually turn off computer.
----i also ran ccleaner program, it stoped at "documents and settings\patrick\locals\temp\wer243.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt.
----i attempted to run spybot program. it immidately locked up.
-i am still unable to manually delete the temp files via windpows explorer, systems refuses saying '...directory not empty'.

-i recently noticed many internet inquiries are redirect to sites other than the site requested.

-any suggestions on how to delete the temp files?
-seems i may have some major problems.
-thanks again for your time.

pat

#6 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

w2www,
please can you clear out your cache folder ie: temporary internet folder There are some free programs that you can use that will do that for you if needed like :)
CCleaner
(Note in CCleaner: go to >options > advanced > Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"). but see CCleaner Set up
Then try scanning doing a
"Full Scan" but stop it just before it would stop (Freeze) then mark and remove any items found then
Reboot (ie: Re-start your PC)
then rescan again doing a full scan this scan should make it further than the other do the same again remembering to Reboot (ie: Re-start your PC) after you remove any thing
and you should be able to get a full scan finished but it may just take time and a few full scans but once it scans a complete full scan it will continue to do so.

GRAFX Posted Image
LandzDown

#7 w2www

w2www

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:45 PM

w2www,
please can you clear out your cache folder ie: temporary internet folder There are some free programs that you can use that will do that for you if needed like ;)
CCleaner
(Note in CCleaner: go to >options > advanced > Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"). but see CCleaner Set up
Then try scanning doing a
"Full Scan" but stop it just before it would stop (Freeze) then mark and remove any items found then
Reboot (ie: Re-start your PC)
then rescan again doing a full scan this scan should make it further than the other do the same again remembering to Reboot (ie: Re-start your PC) after you remove any thing
and you should be able to get a full scan finished but it may just take time and a few full scans but once it scans a complete full scan it will continue to do so.

GRAFX Posted Image

#8 w2www

w2www

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:07 AM

-sorry that my replies are not going through the first time. i must be hitting the wrong button.

-i run the ccleaner program several times with no luck.
-i changed the ccleaner settings as you suggested.
-it's impossible to know when the ccleaner scan will freeze / stop, so i cant stop it in advance.
-the ccleaner scan stops within two or three seconds and does not list any problems found before it stops.
-each time the program states it has 'encountered a problem and must end.'
-the details of the problem say it stopped at 'documents and settings\patrick\locals\temp\wer***.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt.
-the three *** list in the above file name mean these numbers change from 2bc, 2c7, 2c8, 243.
-when i attempt to delete these files with windows explorer, the windows explorer program itself stops and displays the same problem information.
-when i ran a windows file search for these files, that program also stopped and displayed the same information.

-apparently these files are capable of stopping nav 2006, ccleaner, spy bot and adaware programs, but i cant deleted them or what is creating them.

-any suggestions on how to delete these files?
-is there a way to stop the adaware program before it freezes, and thus remove the critical files that are identified before adaware freezes?

-thanks again,
pat

#9 GRAFX

GRAFX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

w2www,
Start your PC in Safe mode,
(if need be see How to start the computer in Safe mode)
then clean 'temporary internet files' ie : run CCleaner
as some times items can not be removed if a file is in use.

GRAFX Posted Image
LandzDown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users