• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gtrz

gtrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hi, I have IE 7 and I don't seem to be able to shake this homepage hijack (redirect to msn) no matter what. I use Ad-aware SE with Ad watch, Spybot with teatimer, and AVG free running all the time. Anyway, Ad watch picks up on the registry change when I open IE 7 and I see the event, however I don't see in the right click context menu how to (block) this, only ignored process list. How do set this up as a rule or whatever? I really would like to shake this bug but I just can't.

#2 Ad Astra

Ad Astra

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Hi

Is this an update to IE 7 general release version from an IE 7 beta or is it an an update from the original IE 6? In your IE 7 browser is your home page set to MSN, and if yes is that your preferred home page?

This info may help answer your query,

Thanks

#3 sonomasteve

sonomasteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

Hi, I have IE 7 and I don't seem to be able to shake this homepage hijack (redirect to msn) no matter what. I use Ad-aware SE with Ad watch, Spybot with teatimer, and AVG free running all the time. Anyway, Ad watch picks up on the registry change when I open IE 7 and I see the event, however I don't see in the right click context menu how to (block) this, only ignored process list. How do set this up as a rule or whatever? I really would like to shake this bug but I just can't.

For what it's worth I fixed my similar problem by running eTrust Antivirus webscanner and deeting the bad files. My homnw page was hijacked to Google where the search engine itself was hijacked. Good luck.

#4 gtrz

gtrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

Well sonomasteve I did that viral scan and it did find 3 bugs, 2 of which were plain to see, just never showed up as virus with AVG. Kind of weird AVG kept finding this one virus (another example) on my D drive that was a host file just sitting there out in the open and every time I scanned it would still find it, but obviously not delete it so last time I just went to the file and deleted it myself! Starting to wonder if AVG sucks or something? Anyway this is what the scan found:

Online Security Guide.url Win32/Moisho deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
Security Troubleshooting.url Win32/Moisho deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
mtuninst.exe Win32/Clspring.EI deleted C:\WINDOWS\

..unfortunately I still have the msn hijack :) This is an overinstall of IE7 to IE6 and I don't NECESSARILY know it's a bug but I had this and 1 or 2 other weirdness after the upgrade. And yes I'm changing the homepage in tools/options and also with the drop down on the home icon and eliminating the msn but the redirect shows right back up! I also have the correct (that I want) homepage set in Ad aware preferences/defaults. Any other ideas?

#5 sonomasteve

sonomasteve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

Well sonomasteve I did that viral scan and it did find 3 bugs, 2 of which were plain to see, just never showed up as virus with AVG. Kind of weird AVG kept finding this one virus (another example) on my D drive that was a host file just sitting there out in the open and every time I scanned it would still find it, but obviously not delete it so last time I just went to the file and deleted it myself! Starting to wonder if AVG sucks or something? Anyway this is what the scan found:

Online Security Guide.url Win32/Moisho deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
Security Troubleshooting.url Win32/Moisho deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
mtuninst.exe Win32/Clspring.EI deleted C:\WINDOWS\

..unfortunately I still have the msn hijack :angry: This is an overinstall of IE7 to IE6 and I don't NECESSARILY know it's a bug but I had this and 1 or 2 other weirdness after the upgrade. And yes I'm changing the homepage in tools/options and also with the drop down on the home icon and eliminating the msn but the redirect shows right back up! I also have the correct (that I want) homepage set in Ad aware preferences/defaults. Any other ideas?

I really don't have aclue I am running IE 6 on windows 2000 prof so I may have a completely differnet problem. Here are the files I deleted to get my machine ot function again. If you're ballsey you may want to delete them and see what hapens. MAy be a good idea to copy them to CD or floppy first just in case you can't get the system to run after delition. APart form that I can't help. Good luck I know how fruistrating it can be.

Heres the three files I no longer have. Do a search for each in turn.

installer1.0.48.exe
erceja.exe
ivp6mons.dll

#6 ElPaso

ElPaso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:49 AM

Hi QTRZ - I had exactly the same problem you described - hijacked by MSN. But I found a fix. I use Norton Internet Security which apparently disabled the IE7 change default home page function. In Norton System Works | Norton Protection Center | Web Browsing | Auto Protect | Configure Auto Protect | Home Page Protection, there is a check box for "Block all attempts to change my homepage."

I unchecked this option, was able to change my home page in IE7, and then reset Norton to prevent future changes. If you are using antivirus other than Norton, I bet you can find a similar fix. BTW - when quirky things are foot with my operating system and web functionality, I have learned the hard way that Norton is often the culprit.

#7 gtrz

gtrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

man I've tried all kiinds of stuff, including but not limited too: uninstalling IE7, countless scans different settings/edits and tried Superantispyware too which found another bug. I did Hijack this and edited BHO's and other stuff out about 1/2 dozen times (read what I could find about editing stuff relevant to this anyway) Ran CC countless times. I got close with 1 or 2 edits with Hijack this to get either a blank page (temporarilly) or at least confuse it for a while.... before coming back to msn.. I've also cleaned as much unneeded garbage/programs from my system along with a few defrags.. I got no more ideas for now, however my system is screaming fast anyway so I don't know if I really care THAT much but still, it's a mystery.

Edited by gtrz, 14 December 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#8 HJThis

HJThis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4076 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hey,To all

@ gtrz

Turn off the automatic part of AdWatch:

right-click the AW icon in the sys tray and untick automatic

then when you change the home page etc adwatch will pop up and warn you and you can allow the change

Gogo ;)
Die Hijacker Die

Member of
ALLIANCE OF SECURITY ANALYSIS PROFESSIONALS

Since 2004

Warning My killer dog at work.

#9 gtrz

gtrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

I don't have an (automatic) in my context menu? I have monitoring on-off and unload ad watch.. ;)

..interesting kind of, I can easily set up my desired homepage as a second tab for home page, but will still default to msn tab first.

another edit: I put up a hijack this log in the hijack this log forum.

Edited by gtrz, 14 December 2006 - 11:14 PM.

#10 HJThis

HJThis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4076 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

Hi,gtrz

Umm why not try monitoring-off then change the page turn monitoring-on
say yes when it ask if you want to keep it.

Gogo :)
Die Hijacker Die

Member of

Since 2004

#11 gtrz

gtrz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

Well wouldn't you know it that worked! But, and I'm a little miffed and confused as to why ad watch behaves this way and I can't have it enabled monitoring (with block possible browser hijack events on) or it will stick it right back to that msn redirect. Why, if in Ad aware I have my defaults for home and search plainly configured there ad watch seems to want to believe I'm a hijacker and default instantly back to msn?? I can't say this has ALL been in vain, I did hellishly clean my system out and it's relatively clean and fast.

#12 HJThis

HJThis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4076 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi,gtrz

Glad it worked as for what you just said better you ask
in the Ad-Aware forums.someone there may have more help
on this then i can give you.

Gogo ;)
Die Hijacker Die

Member of

Since 2004

#13 eagleye

eagleye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi,gtrz

Glad it worked as for what you just said better you ask
in the Ad-Aware forums.someone there may have more help
on this then i can give you.

Gogo ;)

I had the same problem and, thanks heaven, this trick did it. Much appreciated.

Joop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users