• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rwba

rwba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:55 PM

Hi.... can't find any way to prevent MSN from being my home page. When I change it in Internet Options (for example to about:blank) the setting seems to get over-written back to MSN.
Have run AW SE Plus with current definitions file.. and current Norton Internet Security (2006) with up-to-date files..... nothing.

I haven't attached log files, as I think I read that I should wait for you to ask for them.. but will be glad to do so if needed.

Thanks ...Ron

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Hi rwba,

Is your Ad-Watch set to "Automatic"? If so, it will silently overide any changes made to your system, even ones that you want.

AdWatch_Block_Options.gif

Reset it to "Active" and accept the "Registry Modification" alert that will pop-up (check the message out, first, of course :) ) - it will then accept your change.

Active is always better than Automatic - if you are initiating a change (ie: program install/uninstall), then you can accept the alerts as they come up.

If an alert appears when you haven't initiated/downloaded anything, then Block the change and start a thorough check of your system !

Personally, I always want to know when something wants to alter my settings - Automatic just blocks them silently...

Regards,

Spike

#3 rwba

rwba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:31 PM

Thanks Spike.

Ad-Watch is set to Active only.

When I follow your instructions, I don't get any pop-up warning from Ad-Watch. Just for clarity... when should the Registry Modification pop-up occur? Also, in the Tools menu of Ad-Aware, should I be placing 'about:Blank' to be my default. Right now, the default shows as the offending msn address... which is http://www.microsoft...p...&ar=msnhome

Ron ;)

Edited by rwba, 21 October 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#4 rwba

rwba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hi rwba,

Is your Ad-Watch set to "Automatic"? If so, it will silently overide any changes made to your system, even ones that you want.

AdWatch_Block_Options.gif

Reset it to "Active" and accept the "Registry Modification" alert that will pop-up (check the message out, first, of course ;) ) - it will then accept your change.

Active is always better than Automatic - if you are initiating a change (ie: program install/uninstall), then you can accept the alerts as they come up.

If an alert appears when you haven't initiated/downloaded anything, then Block the change and start a thorough check of your system !

Personally, I always want to know when something wants to alter my settings - Automatic just blocks them silently...

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users