• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ivanmauger

ivanmauger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Since the latest McAfee updates most web pages I try to open are very slow. I've since discovered that McAfee and Ad-Aware are not compatible and McAfee's solution is to remove Ad-Aware.I do not want to do this as Ad-Aware clears up objects that McAfee misses. Also every thing was perfect until McAfee updated so I consider they've created the problem not Ad-Aware. It seems I have several options open to me.

1/ Remove Ad-Aware. ( I don't want to. )
2/ Remove McAfee. ( I feel like throwing it in the dustbin. )
3/ Turn off 'phishing' as this cures the problem. ( Not a good idea. )
4/ Live with it. ( I don't thnk so. )

If I have to remove either programme is it as simple as going to Add/Remove and proceeding, McAfee said the registry would need attention as well. Also if I replace McAfee, which I was perfectly happy with until now, will I have the same problem with other security packages. Any suggestions would be welcome, it might take an hour or two ( or three) to open this site though.

#2 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi ivanmauger,

The McAfee/Ad-Aware conflict was resolved by a patch from McAfee some time ago (wasn't just Ad-Aware that their program interfered with).

See this long but intersting thread: McAfee recommends removal of SE Plus

Haven't heard of any new difficulties - we usually get to hear of any conflicts pretty quickly.

Regards,

Spike

#3 ivanmauger

ivanmauger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Hi ivanmauger,

The McAfee/Ad-Aware conflict was resolved by a patch from McAfee some time ago (wasn't just Ad-Aware that their program interfered with).

See this long but intersting thread: McAfee recommends removal of SE Plus

Haven't heard of any new difficulties - we usually get to hear of any conflicts pretty quickly.

Regards,

Spike

#4 ivanmauger

ivanmauger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hello Spike, Thanks for your reply. As I understand it the patch was available on Aug 30th and I imagine it would have arrived in the form of an update, therefore the problem should have been resolved by now. I have contacted McAfee recently and the only solution they gave me was to remove Ad-Aware. Perhaps the patch doesn't affect my problem. I'm not very computer minded so perhaps I'm not understanding things properly. Thanks for your help.

Dave.

#5 gorky1

gorky1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

Hi ivanmauger,

I also use McAfee and have Ad-Aware SE Personal on my computer. I personally have not experienced any compatibility issues with McAfee/Ad-Aware, nor have I experienced web pages loading slowly (and I just received a McAfee update earlier today).

I'm curious, do you have some sort of Ad-Aware process running on your computer (in the "background") alongside McAfee -- and this is causing the issue? I only open Ad-Aware when I need to scan my computer for problems (I make sure to update it first, of course); I don't think I have any Ad-Aware processes constantly running the background.

Just curious and thought this might shed some light on the problem you've been experiencing.

#6 ivanmauger

ivanmauger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

Hello Gorky, the Ad-Aware SE that I have only runs when I scan, at no other times. The problem only started after updating, the one that changed the whole look of the programme. If I turn off phishing every thing is O/K, perhaps McAfee are wrong and it's nothing to do with Ad-Aware, just their software. Thanks for your reply.

Dave.

#7 spike-nz

spike-nz

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Security Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3092 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi ivanmauger,

McAfee got into a whole heap of trouble for telling customers to uninstall competing products (it wasn't only Ad-Aware that was affected) - that's why they were forced into issuing that earlier patch.

If they are still telling customers what to do with their own legitimate programs, they haven't learned much.

Personally, I'd call them back and tell them in no uncertain terms to re-issue a patch if they wanted to keep me as a customer (it's their program causing the problems) - probably in much worse language than that :)

Regards,

Spike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users