Photo
- - - - -

First time scan - really slow?

Best Answer CeciliaB , 19 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Hi Labargoth,

The first scan takes very long time compared to scans you do in the future.

How long time the first scan takes depends on how many files you have, how big they are, how fast your processor is, how fast your SSHD is etc. If you had another antivirus program before installing adaware antivirus, it's possible that the uninstallation didn't remove everything and maybe there are conflicts between the left-overs and adaware software, then you need to run that antivirus program's special removal or cleanup tool. If you now have another similar product, e.g. an anti-malware program, there might be conflicts that delays adaware antivirus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Labargoth

Labargoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hello. So I just started using Adaware and doing my first full scan.

However I noticed that a full scan takes a really long time. I'm not sure if that's the case because it's the first time or if there's some problem.

The estimated time left is at about 25 hours and it only came up after 2 hours of scanning. For the first 2 hours it only said "calculating".

My PC is good enough, except that I am still running a SSHD and not a SSD. But I don't see why scanning a SSHD or normal HDD would take that long.

Edited by Labargoth, 19 March 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 9913 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:13 PM   Best Answer

Hi Labargoth,

The first scan takes very long time compared to scans you do in the future.

How long time the first scan takes depends on how many files you have, how big they are, how fast your processor is, how fast your SSHD is etc. If you had another antivirus program before installing adaware antivirus, it's possible that the uninstallation didn't remove everything and maybe there are conflicts between the left-overs and adaware software, then you need to run that antivirus program's special removal or cleanup tool. If you now have another similar product, e.g. an anti-malware program, there might be conflicts that delays adaware antivirus.

#3 Labargoth

Labargoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

It's about 1.2TB of files that must be scanned. Should it really take that long for this? I wouldn't have a problem with running this scan in the background, but it uses up 50% of my disk writing/reading capacity which makes running other programs that require this capacity impossible.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 9913 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Depending on your Windows version, it might be possible to start the Task Manager, right-click the running adaware process on the Processes tab and select a lower priority.

How is the progress now when it's been running almost 24 hours?

#5 Labargoth

Labargoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

Depending on your Windows version, it might be possible to start the Task Manager, right-click the running adaware process on the Processes tab and select a lower priority.

How is the progress now when it's been running almost 24 hours?

I did pause it and turned my computer off later on. Apparently it did save the progress and continued. It took longer than estimated, but it did certainly not take 24 hours altogether.

I also tried lowering process priority through the task manager earlier, but that didn't work. Even when running the Taskmanager with admin rights, it doesn't allow you to change the priority of adaware.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 9913 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

I hope that your future scans will be much faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users