I've been using Ad-Aware Free edition for a while, but suddenly I can't open the program and get a message "service unavailable"
My OS is Win 8 64bit.
Thanks for your helpAshampoo_Snap_2013.11.03_19h23m11s_001_.jpg
I add this for the sake of confirmation and more evidence for everyone.
I came here looking for a solution to the very same thing shown in Newbie's screenshot.
It has been happening on and off ever since installed AdAware Pro-Security 11 a few weeks ago.
Alarmingly, I would often find this had happened when I'd lefy my computer unattended for a while so who knows how long it had been unprotected???
I did have AdAware 10 but manually uninstalled it months ago as it was too heavy on system resources.
I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus along with Windows Firewall in the meantime.
I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit, Service Pack 1 fully updated.
What is interesting is that I have just followed the instructions in Post #9 of this topic and low and behold there were the very drivers you mentioned.
The instructions were close enough to how it looked on my system for me to follow the spirit rather than the letter of the law as it were.
I had to restart my computer for the first driver uninstall and then repeat the process for the second driver and restart again.
I've copied and pasted those instructions below for clarity:
Thanks for the screen shot.
Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
Find the Device Manager in the left column.
Select View menu - Show hidden files.
Select View menu - Show hidden devices.
Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the middle column.
Find the gfibto driver.
Right-click it and select Uninstall.
Repeat for the gfiark driver.
Restart the computer.
Everything you say adds up. It now remains to be seen if it has done the trick. As the problem is intermittent I'll let you know in a few days.
Thanks for the info. I'm very, very happy with AdAware 11 in all other respects!