60 replies to this topic

#41 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Bad :(

Thanks for the logs :)

Please, upload the Ad-Aware folder to any file uploading site, e.g. Dropbox, Sugarsync, that you are familiar with or you can upload it on http://sprend.com . Please, paste the link to the file here, but if you use Sprend you have to send me the link in a PM since the file only can be downloaded once.

#42 feystep

feystep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

No problem and thank you. I have uploaded the file to Google Docs here: https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Edited by feystep, 14 November 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#43 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

Sorry, feystep, that is the Ad-Aware folder in C:\Program Files but Lavasoft needs the one in C:\Program Data, please follow http://www.lavasofts...troubleshooting section 1 again.

#44 feystep

feystep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

My apologies. I didnt look at that closely enough. Thanks for that. I've uploaded the correct files now.

Attached Files

#45 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

No need to apologize :)

Do you have the "Service Unavailable" message now?

According to Lavasoft it doesn't look like that in the logs.

There seems to be an activation issue and that's why it looks like you have the free version. Please, let Lavasoft get your license key and look at your IP configuration:

Start menu - All programs - Accessories - Commando Prompt

Enter this command (end with the Enter key):

ipconfig /all

Take a snapshot (PrintScreen, Snipping Tool) of the result (maybe several if the list is long) or copy the result and paste it into a text file. Upload the snapshot(s) or text file to Google Docs and send me a PM with a link to it/them and your license key of Ad-Aware. I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft.

You can remove the Ad-Aware folder from your Google Docs.

#46 worldwidewardy

worldwidewardy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

I've been using Ad-Aware Free edition for a while, but suddenly I can't open the program and get a message "service unavailable"

My OS is Win 8 64bit.

Thanks for your helpattachicon.gifAshampoo_Snap_2013.11.03_19h23m11s_001_.jpg

Hi all,

I add this for the sake of confirmation and more evidence for everyone.

I came here looking for a solution to the very same thing shown in Newbie's screenshot.

It has been happening on and off ever since installed AdAware Pro-Security 11 a few weeks ago.

Alarmingly, I would often find this had happened when I'd lefy my computer unattended for a while so who knows how long it had been unprotected???

I did have AdAware 10 but manually uninstalled it months ago as it was too heavy on system resources.
I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus along with Windows Firewall in the meantime.

I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit, Service Pack 1 fully updated.

What is interesting is that I have just followed the instructions in Post #9 of this topic and low and behold there were the very drivers you mentioned.

The instructions were close enough to how it looked on my system for me to follow the spirit rather than the letter of the law as it were.

I had to restart my computer for the first driver uninstall and then repeat the process for the second driver and restart again.

I've copied and pasted those instructions below for clarity:

Thanks for the screen shot.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage.

Find the Device Manager in the left column.

Select View menu - Show hidden files.

Select View menu - Show hidden devices.

Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers in the middle column.

Find the gfibto driver.

Right-click it and select Uninstall.

Repeat for the gfiark driver.

Restart the computer.

Everything you say adds up. It now remains to be seen if it has done the trick. As the problem is intermittent I'll let you know in a few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm very, very happy with AdAware 11 in all other respects! :)

#47 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi all,

I add this for the sake of confirmation and more evidence for everyone.

I came here looking for a solution to the very same thing shown in Newbie's screenshot.

It has been happening on and off ever since installed AdAware Pro-Security 11 a few weeks ago.

Alarmingly, I would often find this had happened when I'd lefy my computer unattended for a while so who knows how long it had been unprotected???

I did have AdAware 10 but manually uninstalled it months ago as it was too heavy on system resources.
I had been using Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus along with Windows Firewall in the meantime.

I am running Windows 7 Home Edition 32bit, Service Pack 1 fully updated.

What is interesting is that I have just followed the instructions in Post #9 of this topic and low and behold there were the very drivers you mentioned.

The instructions were close enough to how it looked on my system for me to follow the spirit rather than the letter of the law as it were.

I had to restart my computer for the first driver uninstall and then repeat the process for the second driver and restart again.

I've copied and pasted those instructions below for clarity:

Everything you say adds up. It now remains to be seen if it has done the trick. As the problem is intermittent I'll let you know in a few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm very, very happy with AdAware 11 in all other respects! :)

Hi worldwidewardy,

I'll keep my fingers crossed ;)

Welcome back even if Ad-Aware works as it should. It's useful for others to know that the uninstallation helped.

I'm sure Lavasoft appreciates that you're happy with Ad-Aware 11 :)

#48 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi darkhawk78,

According to the logs the Ad-Aware service is started and a scan was running. Please, explain in more detail your issue.

#49 VickyJ

VickyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'm back and boosting this topic again. Despite the lack of gfiark and gfibto drivers since I previously removed them, this problem has started to happen once more. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program a couple of times, and on reinstall it tells me that I have an active license until 2015 or so, but then after a couple of days it starts showing 'Service Unavailable' and says the product hasn't been activated.

#50 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Hi VickyJ,

Please, collect logs and other information by following the instructions in http://www.lavasofts...roubleshooting/ to let Lavasoft investigate your issue.

#51 VickyJ

VickyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

"Find the folder C:\Program Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 11."

My computer doesn't appear to have this folder? Could it be named something else?

#52 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

Did you read the sentence about hidden files?

#53 VickyJ

VickyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

I did miss that the first time, sorry. I've attached the files. I've taken all the newest MSI files as there were several made on the same day.

Attached Files

#54 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi VickyJ,

My contact person at Lavasoft checked your logs and said that your current issue is due to a bug, which will be fixed in version 11.1. Please, be patient and wait for the next version.

#55 ekotan

ekotan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Dear Lavasoft,

I have the same problem on a fresh installation of Ad-Aware 11 Free edition on Windows 8.0 Pro (64-bit). This is not an upgrade from an earlier version, Ad-Aware has never been installed on this PC until now.

I checked and I don't have the gfibto or the gfiark drivers on my system (The 'sc stop' command just says 'the specified service does not exist' for each).

Uninstalling and reinstalling Ad-Aware, with reboot after each step, did not solve this for me. I always get the service is unavailable message after running a full scan of my PC, even though the Ad-Aware service is shown as "running" in the Services panel (it is set to start automatically on start-up). 

If I run a quick scan, it completes normally and shows me the results (no problems found). It's just the full system scan option which gives me the "service unavailable" error upon completion.

I'm attaching the required diagnostics as per the "Collect Logs for Troubleshooting" sticky post.

Any ideas what's going on here? Thanking you in advance

Attached Files

#56 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi ekotan,

Thank you for the logs. :)

Lavasoft has gone through them and the reason is that Ad-Aware doesn't have access to the files in the D:\BACKUPS\ folder.

Lavasoft would like to investigate the issue to be able to fix it in an up-coming version.

1. Please, right-click D:\BACKUPS and select Properties. On the Security tab, please click on System in the upper half of the window and tell us which permissions that are selected in the lower half of the window.

2. Please, disable real-time protection in Ad-Aware and do a full scan. Do you get the same issue?

As work-arounds, please either select Custom Scan in Ad-Aware instead and exclude the D:\BACKUPS folder or give System more permissions to the D:\BACKUPS folder.

#57 ekotan

ekotan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for looking into this. Drive D:\ is actually an external Drobo RAID unit connected via USB 3.0. Sometimes it puts itself to sleep to save power when not in use, but it wakes up again within a few seconds when software attempts to access its contents.

1) The permissions for SYSTEM on D:\BACKUPS shows ticks under the "allow" column for everything except "Special permissions" at the very bottom of the list, which has neither 'allow' nor 'deny' showing (no ticks).

2) Doing a full scan after disabling real-time protection worked. I will now try the workaround of excluding D:\BACKUPS; in fact I'll exclude drive D:\ altogether since it's a removable drive and may not always be online.

I noticed Ad-Aware has notified me there was an update today, so I'll install that and reboot first before trying this workaround.

#58 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll inform my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow.

Yes, version 11.1 has been released today.

#59 ekotan

ekotan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Using a custom scan which excludes drive D: works without having to disable real-time scanning. This will be a good enough workaround, thank you.

#60 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6769 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

You're welcome, ekotan :)

I'm glad you're satisfied with the workaround.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users