• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

I've been using a free Antivirus + with Windows XP for a couple of weeks and I don't seem to be able to set a scan shedule to my liking. I called the Ad-Ware support and a tech said that he knew nothing about scan with a free version. Can anybody help?

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hi Simon_y7,

Please, describe in more detail what you do, what happens and what you want to happen instead etc.

#3 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

I set my schedule to do full scans twice a week. My report shows the last scan a week ago and it was the scan I started manually. The schedule tab has no button to confirm one's choice and, obviously, it doesn't work.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

There is no need for a confirmation button, the settings are saved immediately. I, too, thought it was a bit strange when I installed Ad-Aware 10, but now I'm used to it.

I want to be sure, please confirm that you have selected Automatically scan my computer and Scan my computer according to the following schedule.

Do you have another antivirus program installed?

It might interfere with the scan process.

Which antivirus program did you have before the installation of Ad-Aware?

Did you run its special removal tool after you uninstalled it?

Do you run any registry cleaning or optimizing program?

Such programs might remove the scheduled event to optimize the computer.

#5 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

1. Both are selected.

2. ZoneAlarm was last used and removed via Control Panel before Ad-Aware was installed. I have also Malwarebytes on my computer, but it's not set to run automatically in the background.

3. I did registry cleaning not long ago.

I now set the schedule to default - full scan once a week on Sundays at noon.

P.S. After awhile, an Ad-Aware screen becomes unresponsive and has to be closed and reopened to become again clickable.

Edited by Simon_y7, 11 August 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

Please, use ZoneAlarm Removal tool, which is linked in this post: https://www.zonealar...5674#post295674 then restart computer and let us see if that changes Ad-Aware behaviour, regarding scheduled scan and unresponsiveness.

#7 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thank you. I think that running that ZoneAlarm Removal Tool actually has done some good. At least, a few remaining files appeared to have been deleted and the screens are now responsive. It also reset Identity Protection which had already been set when I first installed Ad-Aware. I did reset the scan schedule and will see tomorrow morning if the scan had run as scheduled.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

You are welcome :)

I keep my fingers crossed and hope that Ad-Aware works well now!

#9 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Turns out, I was celebrating too early. The full scan scheduled for this morning isn't happening.  :(

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

That's bad :(

Try to contact Lavasoft support team, since I don't more suggestions: http://lavasoft.com/..._problem_report

But I don't know, if they consider it to be critical enough to handle this issue with the free version.

#11 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thank you, Cecilia. I reported it. Maybe one can't set up his own schedule in the free version. We'll see what the support says. In the meantime, I set the schedule to default to see what would happen.

Edited by Simon_y7, 12 August 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

You are welcome, Simon_y7 :)

Good luck!

#13 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

After several email exchanges with support, I've uninstalled (with great difficulties) and cleanly reinstalled Ad-Aware. Scheduled scans still don't run. :( I'm about to give up on this software.

Does anybody have a free 10.5 version where custom scheduling actually work?

Edited by Simon_y7, 17 August 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

:( Bad that it isn't working for you.

Since other persons haven't complained about non-working scheduled scans here in the forum, I think it usually works. The Security Center/Action Center in Windows complains if no scan has been done during the last 7 days, and I'm sure that if a lot of persons got that warning, several would write in the forum.

Did the registry cleaner create a backup of the changes it made?
It happens too often that such programs removes too much in the registry and destroys something.

#15 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

Well, given that it's the second installation and the same thing happens ... I don't know, there don't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Registry cleaner was run only before the second installation (after Revo Uninstaller had already been run three times) and it reported several entries no longer associated with any application. What could it possibly remove that would interfere with yet to be installed program?

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

The registry cleaner maybe destroyed something in Windows that stops program to add events to the scheduler. I can't say that it happened in your computer, it's impossible to investigate that in a forum, but it wouldn't be the first time that a registry cleaner destroyed something in Windows.

#17 Simon_y7

Simon_y7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

After two weeks of back and forth emailing with Lavasoft techsupport, my scan scheduling still wasn't working, so I got tired and last night uninstalled Ad-Aware. If one component of the program doesn't work, one can't be confident in the rest of the program. In the meantime, Avast is running a scheduled scan.

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7429 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

I understand you, it's impossible to spend so much time to solve a problem. I hope that you will return when Ad-Aware 11 has been released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users