• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Could someone please help? I have spent a whole week  (remotely connecting) with the tech guys from my insurance trying to fathom out why the apps on my windows 8 start screen will not load up and open. We have "refreshed" the Pc , and also wiped everything off back to "factory settings", but the apps won't work. There were two tech guys today both accessing my machine and they realised it was the Adaware Pro 10.5.2 firewall I have. They said I should contact Adaware so a guy remotely connected to my pc from adaware, and he agreed it was the firewall but there was nothing he could do!! He said that the tech guys from my insurance should but the IP address for these apps onto the "trusted Sites" Tab in Adaware, but there is no such thing as an IP address for an app is there? it is not a programme. I am an elderly person, not computer literate but I knew that advice could not be correct. He said I was the only person to have this problem. As soon as the firewall is disabled the apps work! Should I use Windows defender firewall instead or is there a problem with windows 8 and Adaware Firewall?

Has anybody got any idea how I can resolve this please. I am going round in circles.

I have an HP Envy  h8-1485ea desktop PC

3tb hardrive

16GB Ram

Intel core i7

64 bit op syst.

Thank you so much.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hi ookpicansee, If the firewall stops the apps from starting, the apps tries to connect to a web site during start and that web site has an IP address. The firewall only works with network/internet connections, it will not stop a program/app. An app is a kind of program. Are you sure that you haven't turned on gaming mode? When gaming mode is activated, all messages from the firewall asking if a program or an app is allowed to connect to internet are disabled.

#3 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thank you so much for replying! 

Ok... the Game mode  protection is on. So if I switch that protection off you are saying the apps should work?

Will I be compromising the security of my PC if I switch the game mode off? 

Norton doesn't seem to have this problem apparently so I wonder why Adaware has? I have had Adaware for a few years now and much preferred it, over Norton or McAfee ( I have had both in the past)  but its no good if I cannot use the apps in windows 8. It seems pointless having them.

I will do as you say right now and see if switching off the game mode protection helps. I hope I am not causing my PC to be vunerable by doing that.

Thank you SO much.

Later......

I switched the game mode off. restarted my pc (don't know if that was necessary but I did it anyway) and there is no difference. For instance if I click on the store app it says "you are not connected to the internet, connect to it and try again". Well I am connected via a wireless connection.  The Adaware Pro is working perfectly and everything is great except I cannot use all the apps on my start screen. Maps and Store aren't working, and the ebay one is not allowing me to sign into it.

Would my PC still be safe if I switched off the Adaware firewall and used Windows Defender Firewall instead? Would that give as much protection do you think?

Thanks for your patience!

Edited by ookpicansee, 06 April 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

You are welcome :) When you turn off gaming mode, you will see messages where Ad-Aware firewall asks if a program/app is allowed to connect to internet. Allow the apps and they will be able to connect to internet. Gaming mode has nothing to do with security or protection. When gaming mode is on, Ad-Aware will not display messages and you can play without being disturbed, but you shouldn't have in turned on the whole time. I don't know, but maybe Norton and McAfee have more predefined rules, while in Ad-Aware you have to decide instead.

#5 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi, as I said in my last post the gaming mode is now off but there is no difference, the store app for example still says I am not connected to the internet and of course I am. I try to sign into my ebay account from the ebay app and it can't connect either. (just to give a couple of examples).

When you turn off gaming mode, you will see messages where Ad-Aware firewall asks if a program/app is allowed to connect to internet.

No  messages appear at all when I switch off the gaming mode. I have written to the support group and hope they can tell me what is wrong. It seems unlikely because as I also said, I rang adaware here in the UK and that guy from adaware connected remotely to my pc and he couldn't find an answer.

I don't know if the following may have anything to do with it, but when I got rid of my old PC I backed everything up onto an external hard drive. When I got this new PC I uninstalled the already installed Norton ( with the proper tool,) and then clicked on to the adaware installation on my external hardrive, and downloaded it onto this computer. I then put in my licence key (which is saved in my Lavasoft account) and the installation has run smoothly since. It still is of course, but I cannot open the apps!

May I ask what you think of my idea of using the windows defender firewall instead of my Adaware one?

I haven't had a reply from the support group yet. I asked them for a link to a new download, but the one I am using tells me I have all the latest definitions.

Thank you for your help with this I much appreciate you answering my many questions!

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi,

Please, look at the General tab of the firewall settings and click on the Reset to Default button to restore the original settings of the firewall. It is possible that the firewall has set some rules that aren't suitable when it couldn't ask you.

Lavasoft company doesn't have any support by phone, that is handled by another company. Lavasoft only have by email via http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support and they will not respond during weekends and it sometimes takes 48 hours until you get a response. Downloads of Ad-Aware programs are available on Lavasoft's web site.

#7 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Gosh! you really have me worried now! I got the phone number from  Adaware. I opened up the icon on my desktop, clicked on "info" then "Support", then on that page that opens up I clicked on "contact us". There is a list of phone numbers on there. The guy connected remotely to my pc, and he was aware that I had in the past been connected with tech guys in that way so surely they were genuine?  I received an e-mail this morning from  Adaware support telling me to re-install from a link they sent. I'll see how I get along with that.

Thank you for your help.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you :( I only meant that you should know that the guy isn't employed by Lavasoft but by a company that Lavasoft has contracted. You are welcome :)

#9 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

So sorry to get back to you on this. I STILL cannot open these apps on my start screen, however, a tech guy from my insurers has explained perfectly what the problem is, but not being an Adaware tech guy he cannot interfere.

I now have a new download of Adaware Pro on my pc and it is running perfectly as are all other applications.

My problem is not with these LOCAL  applications  (I type in caps to distinguish one from another only)  but with the WEB apps which are a standard feature on the start screen of Windows8. My adaware firewall is blocking the internet connection to these apps alone.

Obviously there must be other Adaware Pro users who have Windows 8 and are not having a problem with these Web Apps, so I wonder how they have their firewall set?

The person from the Adaware support said I needed to add explorer.exe to the Application rules tab and set each section to "Allow". I did this but it made no difference. The tech guy from my insurers who explained ( about Web Apps & local apps) said it is not an application rules problem but probably  more to do with the Network Rules section. (please see more info on that in copy of my reply letter to general support.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. (I have blotted out my real name in the letter with ???????)

Thank you

Dear Sir/Madam

In reply to your Questions.....

1) This is a brand new  PC, bought. beginning of Feb 2013.
     It is an HP Envy h8-1485ea desktop PC   
  • Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor
  • Windows 8
  • Memory: 16 GB
  • Hard drive: 3 TB
The temporary Norton antivirus that came with the pc was stripped off using a proper tool  downloaded to do a correct clean uninstall of that programme. The link to that tool was sent to me by a tech guy from my insurers.

2) please let us know what previous Ad-Aware versions were installed on this computer.

There are/were no other versions and no other realtime protection programme on this computer, only Adaware from the link you sent me.
 I will send you the screenshots of the status of my adaware firewall in a separate e-mail , in jpeg format. Windows 8 produces them as png files by default, so I have changed then to jpegs. Please will you check each one to see what is showing on each tab.

3) Attached in jpeg format is the system info screenshot as requested

4) With regard to the problem I am having.......
The WEB apps on my windows8 Start screen will not work because my Adaware security is blocking the internet connection for these apps. These are NOT local apps, they are WEB apps. All other apps, everything, including my Adaware, are working fine it is just the web apps. which will not open. 
See screenshots attached of the type of messages I get when I try and open a web app on my start screen.
As I said in an email to you, the tech guys from my insurers say it has nothing to do with applications but is probably a problem regarding Network rules .  The tech guy from my insurers said if  the IGMP on the Network Rules tab was changed to "allow"  (instead of as it is now as "block") then these apps would work, But my security would be greatly compromised and my pc vunerable to hackers. Obviously that is  definitely not an option. They cannot interfere with Adaware itself and that is why they said I must get you to sort it out.

Basically my Adaware security is preventing these web apps  from connecting to the internet.
These apps are a basic feature of Windows8  so surely other members with windows8 and using Adaware Pro are not having this problem?
Please see 3 screenshots attached of my Start screen and the Web apps that are not working marked with a white star. The other  two are shots of the type of message I receive when I attempt to open a web app, OR it takes a ridiculous length of time to load up, which it never seems to complete. One of the apps  for example, the Store app,  I cannot open/get a connection,  and therefore I cannot browse the store for new ones to add to my pc, should I wish to. 

5) You ask for certain log files re:-You will need to show all hidden files.  but that is not part of this issue surely? I dare not attempt that, I would need a tech guy to help me. I am new to windows 8 and not that computer literate, and severely sight impaired, (registered blind not partially sighted) but I have quoted the exact problem to you from the tech guys at my insurers.

It is not my pc causing this but that my adaware is simply blocking the internet connection required for these web apps to function.
If I knew the settings  other Adaware Pro users have on their windows 8 pc surely we would have the answer? Their web apps are obviously working well otherwise you would have numerous enquiries the same as mine.
Respectfully
?????????
PS. e-mail following with all firewall tab screenshots.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

Please, attach the screen-shots (.png or .jpg) of the firewall tabs, and an example of the message you get when you start a web app to your answer. You will notice how to upload files in the forum after clicking the "More Reply Options" button. Is your computer connected to internet through a router?

#11 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

my computer is connected to the internet I have a wireless router , aol broadband. I have no problem at all connecting to the internet, except for these apps which as I say are a standard feature of windows8. screenshots attached. thank you so much. forgot to add that on the screenshot that shows the message saying I am not connected to the internet that I was in fact. this I think is what my adaware is blocking , but other users of adaware pro and windows8 must be able to use their web apps.

Attached Files

Edited by ookpicansee, 11 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Since the computer is connected through a router, it isn't dangerous to turn off the firewall or allow all IGMP connections to test if that helps. The router blocks all intrusion attempts. As far as I can see the firewall is configured to allow all out-going traffic. I have seen many persons, with different kinds of antivirus and firewall programs, having this or similar problems in Microsoft's forum (community). This one got this problem after uninstalling McAfee: http://social.techne...7-c43590deacef/ There are several suggestions in this topic: http://answers.micro...56-90ba9c191636

#13 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

As far as I can see the firewall is configured to allow all out-going traffic.

Is that ok then? I honestly barely understand it all these settings.
I got a reply from general support and she said...
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1. <!--[endif]-->Please go to the Advanced Firewall tab -> Application Rules tab and check that there is Ask in the Any other application row. If no, please select the Any other application row, click on Edit and change Trusted/Untrusted Inbound/Outbound to Ask.

Then go to the Advanced Firewall tab, click on Reset to Defaults, select Reset to Learning Mode and select Delete all user defined firewall rules.

Click on Allow/Yes in any message from firewall. Actually, we are interested mostly in explorer.exe in this case.

Go to Advanced Firewall tab -> Application Rules -> select explorer.exe row -> click on Edit and choose Allow in all Trusted/Untrusted Inbound/Outbound.

Anyway I have done this BUT the apps still will not work! and my firewall status now looks like this (please see attached screenshots.) I still get the same messages. Not connected to the internet. I am concerned about the IGMP as that tech guy from my insurers who was connected remotely to my computer, told me altering the permissions on that would compromise my security. but you reckon not?Do you think my security is ok with these settings? Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by ookpicansee, 11 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

You are welcome :)

"Is that ok then? I honestly barely understand it all these settings."

That is the setting I have.

"I am concerned about the IGMP as that tech guy from my insurers who was connected remotely to my computer, told me altering the permissions on that would compromise my security. but you reckon not?Do you think my security is ok with these settings?"

You can temporary allow IGMP to test if that helps, I don't mean that it should be allowed forever.

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi again,

Today I saw this page: http://answers.micro...db-e87aba8765cf
stating that it's important that Windows 8 own firewall is running even when a firewall from another company is installed. Please, check that Windows firewall service is running.

#16 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thank you. I know that the windows defender firewall is not running, mainly because Adaware say that nothing else should run except their security & antivirus. I was asked by general support to send all log files  and hidden files  and screenshots such as I have posted here, and the error messages when I try and oipen a web app. I rang them again and they said their team were looking into it as it was "very unusual"  and all I had to do was wait until they had solved it. However, I will try your suggestion , and will also send the link to them. Thank you SO Much for all your kind help with this.

#17 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

Ok, When I first installed Adaware on this computer it automatically disabled windows defender firewall. Just now, I tried switching on the Windows 8 defender firewall but still the apps won't work.  BUT, If I switch OFF Adaware Firewall and leave Windows Firewall ON the apps work. As I type BOTH firewalls are on now. I dare not switch the adaware firewall off altogether but I will send general support the link and tell them about this exercise too. Thank you.

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:30 PM

Please, note that Windows Defender is an antivirus program in Windows 8, and the firewall is a separate program just called Windows firewall.

I asked my contact person at Lavasoft, and she said that Ad-Aware will leave the Windows firewall running and not turn it off during installation in Windows 8.

Have you tried to turn off IGMP yet?

#19 ookpicansee

ookpicansee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thank you for explaining that . I should not have said "defender" as in fact I was meaning just Windows Firewall.

Ad-Aware will leave the Windows firewall running and not turn it off during installation in Windows 8.

In my case that is not correct, it does turn it off, as soon as I installed it, Adaware switched the Windows firewall off , and further,  even though I have switched it on now, if for example ; I manually (or otherwise) run a Quick scan it will switch it off again!  I tested that to see if it would switch it off if I ran a scan, and it did.  So if adaware runs a scan and I check the Windows firewall afterwards , it is always switched off , and I have to switch it on again.

With regard to the IGMP I have tried that too. I allowed everything  but still I got the same message when I try to open the "Store app" for example- "Your computer is not connected to the internet. Connect to the internet and try  again. Of course I am connected to the internet.  I have tried it again just now , and I can't use these web apps , it's still the same. The only time they work is if I switch the Adaware firewall off completely.

Also, I was warned by the tech guys that allowing anything on the IGMP would severely compromise my security and expose my computer to potential hackers. However, as it is, even allowing everything  just to test, makes no difference the apps can'ty connect to the internet..

#20 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7547 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the explanation of how Ad-Aware and Windows firewall works in your computer. I'll inform my contact person at Lavasoft, when she is back in the office tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users