Photo
- - - - -

Will stopping a scan allow me to address traces detected so far?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gszakacs

gszakacs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

My computer has a very large number of files, and the first full scan has been running
for five days now. I don't want to have to restart the scan, but I can already see that
9 traces have been detected. If I stop the scan (Stop button in the GUI) will I be able
to see the traces found so far? I seem to remember another AV program that would just
close the scan without remembering anything found unless you let the scan run all
the way through, so I don't want to stop it if AdAware has the same behavior.

My info:

Windows XP 32 bit
Adaware Personal Security 10.5.1.4369

Thanks in advance,
Gabor

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7706 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Hi Gabor,

Check if a log file has been created with the found traces. The log file is located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\AntiMalware\History\<date information>.xml

Do you have a very slow computer, another antivirus program, a very big hard disk or a bad hard disk since the scan takes so long time?

#3 gszakacs

gszakacs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yes, I found this file but I can't see anything in it that would tell me what was traces were found.
I'm attaching it (renamed). It looks like it's from a previous quick scan that was made at the
time of installation. The file name and system file date agree.

I have several large disk drives and about 15 years worth of documents, archives
and applications. The computer is not slow (Intel Core 2 6600 dual processor 2.4 GHz
with 2 GB RAM). I'm not surprised at the time it takes to scan, I just wanted to know
if I would lose the results I have so far if I stop the scan.

By the way, this is the first full scan I've done with AdAware. I read somewhere that
it should take longer. I have noticed that a lot of time is spent scanning zip archives,
and I'm hoping that future scans will be able to avoid this.

Thanks for your help,
Gabor

Attached Files

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7706 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Yes, the log file is from a quick scan made a week ago. Since no log file has been created yet, you will probably loose all results, if you stop the scan.

There is some kind of cache function in Ad-Aware, and new scans will take less time than the first one, but I don't know any details.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7706 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I have now checked with my contact person at Lavasoft, and even if you stop the scan, you will be able to see the found threats and decide if they should be put into quarantine etc. A log file will also be created.
  • gszakacs likes this

#6 gszakacs

gszakacs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

O.K. Thanks for the help. I have now stopped the scan and the threats are shown in the results pane.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7706 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

You are welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users