Photo
- - - - -

Windows 8 Defender AND Ad-Aware Real-Time Protection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dusf

dusf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi

When I tried to scan today with Windows Defender on my recently upgraded Windows 8 computer it told me it was disabled because other spyware software was active and it brought up the spyware action centre showing an entry for Windows Defender and Ad-aware.

I was only able to access Windows Defender by disabling Ad-Aware from this action centre, which I confirmed in Ad-Aware itself is disabling Real-Time Protection.

Is there anyway I can have both pieces of software working at the same time alongside each other at the same time?

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hi dusf,

It is always possible that the drivers of two antivirus programs don't work together and the common recommendation is that you should only have one antivirus program with real-time protection. If there is a conflict between the drivers, it can cause crashes in Windows, computer slow-down etc.

#3 dusf

dusf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hi dusf,

It is always possible that the drivers of two antivirus programs don't work together and the common recommendation is that you should only have one antivirus program with real-time protection. If there is a conflict between the drivers, it can cause crashes in Windows, computer slow-down etc.

Hi CelciliaB

Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway around this short of reinstalling and then uninstalling Ad-Aware everytime I want to run a scan? I would really like the benefit of both Ad-Aware and Windows Defender if possible.

What security software do you use yourself apart from Ad-Aware? Re antivirus, antispyware and firewall?

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7403 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hi dusf,

You are welcome :)

I suggest that you have Ad-Aware installed and running with real-time protection, and then use Microsoft Safety Scanner as a second opinion (on-demand scanner). That scanner has the same possibilities as MSE to detect malicious files but doesn't install any drivers that can cause conflict with another antivirus program: http://www.microsoft...curity/scanner/
There are other online scanners, too, for example from Eset and F-secure. You can switch between different online scanners to get better coverage.

With Ad-Aware 10.5, it is possible to install it as only an on-demand scanner, see the release notes: http://www.lavasofts...e-105-released/
Then you can have MSE running with real-time protection, and use Ad-Aware as a second opinion, but tests performed by AV-test shows that Ad-Aware is better than MSE, so the other solution is probably better: http://www.av-test.o...-7/novdec-2012/

I have Ad-Aware Pro Security and WinPatrol running, and have installed NoScript and WOT add-ons to improve security in my browser (Firefox). I also take care of having all add-ons as Flash and Java updated, as well as other programs to avoid vulnerabilities. I haven't infected my computers, since I started to have a computer at home for more than 15 years. But someone with higher risk of getting an infected computer, could use more protections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users