• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Branta

Branta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I found a representative (Adam Lustig) of Babylon elsewhere on this forum protesting his company's innocence as a purveyor of malware ("False Positive Application").

Now I couldn't reply to that thread, either because it is closed or because of the type of post, so I have to start a new thread to tell what I think of the Babylon Toolbar.

Having found the Babylon Toolbar UNINVITED on my PC, that makes it malware in my book ! And having apparently successfully removed it by conventional means, I still have my browser hijacked by "feed.helperbar.com" to redirect to http://isearch.babyl...83&babsrc=lnkry.

I am 99.9% sure where the infection came from, I was upgrading Freefilesync V3.13 (to 5.11), the application itself took me to the sourceforge website to get the update, I admit that it could just be that the download link I used was a paid advert on sourceforge masquerading as an official download link ("click here for upgrade version"). I still have the install file if anyone wants to inspect it. Also in my downloads folder are multiple other dowloads of the same file, they are all the same size but according to WinDiff they are all a bit different in content. Yuk !

I note that Ad-Aware 10 is reporting no problem, in spite of the fact that my browser (Chrome but not IE8 or Firefox) remains hijacked. I manually removed all registry entries which referred to "helperbar" (quite a few) and they didn't return but the browser remains hijacked by the babylon search when I start it.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7233 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi Branta,

I guess you mean this topic: http://www.lavasofts...ve-application/
It has been archived and locked since it's old.

The Babylon toolbar, together with many other toolbars, are usually not considered malware but questionable, greyware, potentially unwanted or similar expressions. In your case, it has to do with the installation program of Freefilesync. The persons behind Freefilesync has decided that they want to include Babylon toolbar since that will give them a small amount of money for each installation. That is a common behaviour among free programs, they are paid by ads or similar instead of by the users. So if someone should be blamed of inappropriate behaviour, it's those behind Freefilesync and not those behind Babylon toolbar.

On http://majorgeeks.co...Sync_d6588.html you can the note

Limitations: This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out.

If you want any help with cleaning your computer post in the forum Help with Stubborn Infections by following the instructions in the topic Read This Before You Post!.

#3 Branta

Branta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hi Cecilia

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

Am well used to seeing an optional toolbar offered at install time, and for sure this time no option was offered. Which is why I was especially hacked off, and suspected a substitute install file.

Especially sneaky is that google found a review of Freefilesync on sourcefourge, complaining of this unwanted addition. But when I look at sourceforge I can't find it, as if has been removed !

Edited by Branta, 15 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7233 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi Branta,

You are welcome :)

Maybe the installation file has been removed since it broke a rule at sourceforge, I don't know. The important thing is to blame Freefilesync and not Babylon in this case. Even if I dislike all kinds of toolbars and do everything I can to stay away from them, just as I always remove Babylon and other greyware toolbars when I help people get rid of infections.

#5 Branta

Branta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's the review compalining about the (non-optional) bablylon toolbar that has gone missing from sourceforge, not the freefilesync program, that's what I find sinister !

I have to agree that the supplier of Freefilesync is to blame here. But my respect for Babylon is also rock-bottom.

And in case anyone with the same problem turn up this thread in a search, uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome seemed to get rid of the hijack (had already deleted all registry entries referring to "helperbar").

Edited by Branta, 15 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7233 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Sorry, that I misunderstood you.

I'm glad that you managed to solve it.

#7 Branta

Branta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

I have been in contact with the author of FreeFileSync, who has been very helpful and I believe him when he tells me that me that he does not bundle any "silent" add-on installs, and in any case never Babylon toolbar. Whether something he (or his distributor) do bundle is less scrupulous is something they seem to be checking. And am I checking whether I can replicate the problem on (yet) another machine. Will report if I discover more.

In any case it all points to "feed.helperbar.com" and Babylon operating in devious and unpleasant ways, so I have to say that I'd wish for an anti-malware solution that spots them and removes them !

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7233 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Please, feel free to upload the installation file here. Since you aren't allowed to upload .exe files, you have to pack it into a zip file (compressed folder) first.

#9 Babylon Support

Babylon Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Dear Branta

i am sorry to hear you have problems with Babylon, just to let you know we have opened a special website for people who for unknown reason got Babylon and would like to remove it, in your case in order to remove Babylon from Google Chrome, you need to do as follows:

Change Homepage

• 1. Open Google Chrome, click on the "Customize and control Google Chrome " icon by the right side of the address bar; click on Settings:

2. Inside Settings under "On startup", choose the option "Open a specific page or set of pages."

3. Click on "Set pages" and delete Babylon's page from the list by clicking the small "x" icon beside it.
Remove Search Provider

In order to change the Search Engine in Google Chrome, please follow the instructions below:

• 1. Open Google Chrome, click on the "Customize and control Google Chrome " icon by the right side of the address bar

2. Click on Settings > Under "Search" click on "Manage search engines...":

3. If you see Babylon Search as default, please click on a different option (Google, Bing etc.).
Make it default, then remove Babylon by clicking the small 'x'.
Remove Search from New Tab

• 1. Open Google Chrome, click on the "Customize and control Google Chrome " icon on the right side of the address bar:

2. Go to Tools > Extensions.

3. Remove any Babylon extension (Translator, Toolbar Etc...) from the list by clicking on the small trash bin icon that will appear when you point the cursor over it.
Need more help ?

http://www.babylon.c...ll_search/index

or email us at , Support@babylon.com

to get full assistance on any question you might have

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users