• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GarryJones

GarryJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

I wanted the toolbar but I dont want the Blekko search tab when I click "newtab" in Firefox.

I understand that is not possible. So I need to uninstall the tool bar. Sorry to see it go.

However Lavasoft are misleading people

Check
http://www.lavasoft....adaware-toolbar

3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs and find Ad-Aware Antivirus on the list of programs installed on the computer.
4. Right click on Ad-Aware Toolbar and then click uninstall.

There is no "Ad-Aware Toolbar". Its not called that. Its called "Ad-Aware Security Add-on". I was insure whether or not It was safe to uninstall that. I did it and the toolbar and blekko went. But I don't know what else I lost?

What did I lose?

Anyway the info needs to be updated because I can see many users being too timid to uninstall the "add-on" and the "Ad-Aware Toolbar" entry does not exist in Control Panel so they are misleading customers. One wonders if they feel more customers will keep it when they can't follow the insctructions?

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi GarryJones,

Thank you!
I will inform my contact person at Lavasoft that the FAQ needs an update. The FAQ is correct for at least Ad-Aware 10.0, but the entry got a new name in a later version, probably to be more correct, since the "search tab" hardly counts as a toolbar.

#3 GarryJones

GarryJones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. However I do wonder what else I lost. I really would quite like to have the toolbar. But when I click "new tab" in firefox I do not want the blekko search tab, I want the standard firefox set up. It would appear the "search tab" IS the toolbar in the respect that you can't have the toolbar one without it.

I am just curious to know why they would insist on changing my "firefox new tab" if I want their toolbar. An explanation would be nice as they COULD provide the option of "I don't want ANYTHING from Blekko" when I install their program.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

You are welcome :)

Sorry, I can't answer what else you loose when uninstalling the toolbar, but protection in the Ad-Aware program is working as usual. That is at least my experience after using Ad-Aware without installing the toolbar.

I guess, it's the same program file that is handling the toolbar and the blekko search tab, since the toolbar is using the blekko search engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ad-Aware Toobar, Ad-Aware Security Add-on, blekko

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users