23 replies to this topic

#1 andrwoo

andrwoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Installed version: 10.4.43.4155

Keep trying to update definitions and I keep getting; Couldn't Connect to Update Service.

I just installed AdAware.

I have tried disabling firewall, rebooting, and re-installing.

Please Help.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi andrwoo,

Do your computer need to use a proxy server to connect to internet?
Do you believe the computer is infected?
Which Windows version do you have?
Do you have another antivirus or similar program installed?

#3 andrwoo

andrwoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

No proxy for internet. I don't believe it is infected. I had AVG and did a scan before uninstalling it to put on AdAware. I have Windows 7. No other antivirus installed right now.

#4 buynaka

buynaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Same here! I just installed it yesterday, removed all other firewall/antivirus programs, still got the same error. :(

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

No proxy for internet. I don't believe it is infected. I had AVG and did a scan before uninstalling it to put on AdAware. I have Windows 7. No other antivirus installed right now.

Please, run AVG removal tool to remove everything of AVG before uninstalling and installing Ad-Aware again. Maybe the common left-overs of AVG disturbed the installation of Ad-Aware.
AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Same here! I just installed it yesterday, removed all other firewall/antivirus programs, still got the same error. :(

Hi buynaka,

Maybe it's the same reason for your problem. These sites provides links to the most common removal tools:
http://evilfantasy.w...-removal-tools/
http://www.raymond.c...virus-software/

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

@andrwoo and buynaka:

Would you allow that someone at Lavasoft connects to your computer to investigate and solve the problem, if you still have the same problem after following my suggestion above?

#8 buynaka

buynaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

@andrwoo and buynaka:

Would you allow that someone at Lavasoft connects to your computer to investigate and solve the problem, if you still have the same problem after following my suggestion above?

Sure! No problem at all! How to proceed? :)

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

When you have done as I suggested, with the removal tool, uninstallation and installation of Ad-Aware (including computer restart), and still have the same problem, please send me your email address in a PM. I'll then forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft.

#10 buynaka

buynaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

When you have done as I suggested, with the removal tool, uninstallation and installation of Ad-Aware (including computer restart), and still have the same problem, please send me your email address in a PM. I'll then forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft.

Please check pm. Thanks!

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

You are welcome :)
Email address has been forwarded to Lavasoft.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm glad your issue has been resolved, buynaka :)

Thank you for helping Lavasoft find the issue with the update server.

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

There is an issue with the update server, but hopefully it is solved for you within a couple of hours.

#14 andrwoo

andrwoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

yup works fine now. Figured it was a problem on your end. Thanks

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Great, andrwoo!
You are welcome :)

#16 Geoff46

Geoff46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

I have the same problem with 2 desktop computers and 1 laptop. One desktop is running windows 7 64 bit and after about 5 or 6 tries it finally updated. The other desktop is running XP service pack 3 32 bit and I have never been able to connect to the update service. The laptop is running Vista service pack 1 32 bit and has never been able to connect. I updated from Ad-aware free version 9 on all 3 computers and never had a problem connecting. All three computers are also running Microsoft Security Essentials. Version of Ad-aware free that I installed was 10.4.43.4155. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi Geoff46,

When did you install Ad-Aware 10.4?
Do you know if you had the latest version 9, that's 9.6, or an earlier version?
If it wasn't the latest one, it is possible that the version 10 installation program didn't uninstall it completely.

It maybe is some kind of conflict between Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and Ad-Aware. Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ is a full-featured antivirus program with full real-time protection (version 9 isn't), so you don't need MSE when you have Ad-Aware 10. Ad-Aware 10 got much better test result than MSE in the latest test by AV-Test:
http://www.av-test.o...testreports_pi1[report_no]=123643
http://www.av-test.o...testreports_pi1[report_no]=123698

Are the computers connected to internet through a proxy server?
Is "Real-Time Protection" on, according to the main window of Ad-Aware?

#18 Geoff46

Geoff46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Ad-Aware 10 was installed last Saturday. Ad-aware 9 was the latest version that was released. Sorry I don't remember exactly what version it was. I waited until Ad-aware 10.4 came out because I didn't want 2 real time protection programs running at once.
No Ad-aware 10 is not running as real time protection. I have a feeling it is some type of timing issue since it looks like it is in the process of downloading (bar moves slowly across and disk light is flashing like it is writing to disk) for a few minutes and then gets timed out. The bar that shows the download gets almost to the end before it drops out.
I was under the impression that Version 10.4 detected if you had another real time protection software running and turned off all real time protection when it installed.
I disabled MSE and it made no difference. If you wish i will totally remove it and try again.

#19 Geoff46

Geoff46

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Sorry forgot to answer. No no proxy server.

#20 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7431 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

9.6 is the latest of version 9.

Good that real-time protection is turned off in Ad-Aware. I thought that it might be some kind of bug that didn't turn it off, and that was causing your problem.

It's not a general update issue since Saturday, since my Ad-Aware has updated several times and no other complains in the forum during these days.

When my contact person is back in the office tomorrow, I'll ask, if she has any suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users