• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raane

Raane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi, i recently reinstalled AdAware, which i have been using for a few years now as part of my internet security. I've noticed it comes with Blekko search embedded into my browsers.
I'd much rather it didn't, i know i may have missed a cunningly hidden tickbox in the installation, but now that i have it on my computer i'd like to remove it, but i can't work out how; it always returns.

Now the fact that it was installed somewhat under the radar and the fact that it gives no obvious ways to remove itself strikes me as somewhat unethical software development and puts it in the arena of malware/adware which i thought adaware was supposed to remove.

Could you kindly, in a series of steps tell me how to remove this from my browser (Firefox). It does not reflect well on the company and it's frankly a dealbreaker for me.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7705 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi Raane,

The boxes with ticks to remove during installation are clearly visible and not hidden.

I have installed without any Blekko, why I need to ask some questions first.
Where do you notice Blekko, tool bar, start page, search engine, page when address is misspelled in address filed?
What add-ons related to Ad-Aware or Blekko is listed among the Firefox' add-ons?

it's frankly a dealbreaker for me

Do you mean that you're a paying customer?
If yes, you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers: http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support

#3 Raane

Raane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Blekko appeared in the search bar, i removed that. It still however acts as the address bar search and default page when opening a new tab. I don't see anything to do with Lavasoft or Blekko in the addons or plugins.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7705 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

Write in the address field of Firefox:

about:config

Find the row with "keyword.URL" (you can use the search field), right-click the row and select restore (or similar phrase).
Search for "blekko" in the search field, and restore the settings you find.
Restart Firefox.

Did that help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users