• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DKielby

DKielby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Ad-Aware Free update failed. Tried to update from v10.2.21.3698 to v10.3.45.3935. Installation process all went smoothly till what seemed to be the end of the installation of the application. The process of the install where the application/program was being installed never quite finished. Rather, a dialog popped up which says, "Installation package save error. Please, check your firewall and security settings and try again later." The only option in this dialog was a "Close" box.

Am running Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows 7 default Firewall, Ad-Aware Free v10.2.21.3698, latest version of Mozilla Firefox, latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird, and lots of RAM and HD space.

I don't know how else to respond to this error. While looking at Windows Firewall for the ability to add or remove permissions (which are appearently not offered), Windows 7 dialog popped up saying Lavasoft wanted to install an Ad-Aware Toolbar. I gave permission and installed. Then I went back and tried again to update Ad-Aware from v10.2.21.3698 to v10.3.45.3935 but received the same error message.

Next I restarted the computer and tried again to update AdAware but got the same error message. Next I ran CCleaner to clean my Registry. There I found approximately 98 ActiveX related problems and fixed them all. One of the Registry problems found by CCleaner was Ad-Aware related but I can not remember exactly what it was. What ever it was CCleaner supposedly fixed it. I restarted the computer again and tried yet again to update Ad-Aware Free but got the same error message.

I don't know what this error message means or what to do with it. I probably understand more than the average computer user but I am not a geek.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi DKielby,

It is not recommended to run MSE and Ad-Aware at the same time, it is possible that their drivers collide and cause problems. In the latest test by AV-test, well-known for good tests of antivirusprograms, Ad-Aware got better results in protection than MSE, why I recommend you to keep Ad-Aware.
http://www.av-test.o...er/julaug-2012/

Do you have other issues with the computer as the user on http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=262096 ?

Did you download and save the installation program on the computer before starting the installation?
Did you start the installation by right-clicking the installation file and selecting "Run as administrator"?
If you answered 'No' to one or both of the last two questions, please try to install again by first saving installation file and then install with "Run as administrator".

If you still get an error message, please uninstall your current version of Ad-Aware before trying again.

If still unsuccessful, please write here and I will ask my contact person at Lavasoft.

#3 DKielby

DKielby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hi CeciliaB,
Thanks for responding!

I was told that if I turn off Ad-Aware's Real-Time Protection I could keep both MSE and Ad-Aware on my computer and run Ad-Aware tests manually. And that seems to be OK but please let me know for sure. I do still use Ad-Aware's Safe Browsing Protection along with MSE.

I have not noticed other problems such as the downloading problems mentioned by Fokai at Major Geeks.com.

Yes, I downloaded and saved the installation file before starting the installation.

I did not run as administrator but I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges. Is this sufficient?

Before I reinstall let me explain something and ask you a related question. I have a program offered by CNET called CNET Tech Tracker. This program monitors my Program Files folders and reports to me whenever an update to one of my programs is available. I like this program even though it makes some wrong judgments sometimes. This CNET Tech Tracker informed me that I have an update available called Ad-Aware Antivirus Launcher v10.3.45.3935. I am wondering why they called it '...Launcher'. I think their calling it 'Launcher' is an error, probably because of an automated process on their server. Do you have any idea?

One more bit of confusion to me is this. When I check for program updates from within Ad-Aware Free, it tells me that I have the latest version. But I am running v10.2.21.3698 and the latest version is v10.3.45.3935. Can you explain this?

I'll watch for your response.

Thanks for doing a great job of helping folks.

DKielby

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hi DKielby,

You are welcome :)

It might be possible to run MSE and Ad-Aware at the same time, but it isn't supported. At least one person has previously reported in the forum, that it worked to have MSE and Ad-Aware 10.2 installed. If you want to try with Ad-Aware 10.3, I advice you to turn off MSE during the installation.

I did not run as administrator but I am the only user of my computer and I have administrator privileges. Is this sufficient?

Not on Vista and Windows 7. For security reasons, Microsoft decided to lower the default privileges for administrator accounts in Vista and Windows 7.

I think their calling it 'Launcher' is an error, probably because of an automated process on their server.

I guess that, too.

But I am running v10.2.21.3698 and the latest version is v10.3.45.3935.

Sometimes program companies don't release a new version to all their customers at the same time. I don't know if Lavasoft does that this time. My Ad-Aware 10.2 also reports, that it is the latest version.

#5 DKielby

DKielby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hello Again CeciliaB,

Quote From Post #6:
"It might be possible to run MSE and Ad-Aware at the same time, but it isn't supported."

Please make this clear for me? I know that two antivirus programs both set to provide realtime protection are likely to have incompatibilities. But what if realtime protection is disabled for one of those programs? Should they then be compatible?

Quote From Post #6:
"For security reasons, Microsoft decided to lower the default privileges for administrator accounts in Vista and Windows 7."

Thanks Cecilia. I am glad to learn this. I will from now on do my installations as the Administrator.

Quote From Post #6:
"I think their calling it 'Launcher' is an error, probably because of an automated process on their server. Do you have any idea?"
"I guess that, too."

Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote From Post #6:
"Sometimes program companies don't release a new version to all their customers at the same time. I don't know if Lavasoft does that this time. My Ad-Aware 10.2 also reports, that it is the latest version."

Again my understanding is embelished. Thanks!

Moving on now to your instructions in post #2.

Quote From Post #2:
"If you still get an error message, please uninstall your current version of Ad-Aware before trying again."

I did still get the same error message. Following your instructions I tried to uninstall Ad-Aware Free v10.2.21.3698. I tried this uninstall from the Start menu but was unsuccessful. I received the error message 1722. "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action UnRegister64bitProxyStub.6c2c1262_EACB_455A_..." The only responsive action available to this error message was an OK button. Ad-Aware v10.2.21.3698 was left in tact and functional.

Quote From Post #2:
"If still unsuccessful, please write here and I will ask my contact person at Lavasoft."

CeciliaB, I was able to resolve this problem and successfully updated my Ad-Aware Free v10.2.21.3698 to Ad-Aware Free v10.3.45.3935. Here is what I did.

First of all, being a Christian and knowing the care and presence of God in my life, I was inclined to pray. And I am persuaded God guided my thoughts to resolve this problem. Thank You Jesus!

First I looked in the Programs and Features control panel. I found three Ad-Aware installations.
1. Ad-Aware Security Add-on v2.2.0.11
2. Ad-Aware Browsing Protection v1.0.1.41
3. Ad-Aware Antivirus v10.2.21.3698

I successfully uninstalled the Security Add-on. I successfully uninstalled Browsing Protection. Then, the Antivirus program which remained offered two choices; 'CHANGE' and 'REPAIR'. There was no option to uninstall. I did not even look at the CHANGE option. I ran the REPAIR option. The repair process did it's thing and disappeared. I was a bit disappointed that there was no confirmation of the REPAIR completion nor it's success. The progress bar just disappeared. Then I looked to confirm that I still had a functional Ad-Aware v10.2.21.3698, and yes I did. Next I ran again the installation program file which was already downloaded. Installation was successful. Ad-Aware Free v10.2.21.3698 was upgraded to Ad-Aware Free v10.3.45.3935.

I know there's a section on this forum where resolutions are posted. But I don't know who posts these resolutions, you or me. If I should do this please let me know and I will.

Thanks, Cecilia, for your prompt and knowledgable
help!
  • CeciliaB likes this

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

You are welcome :)

1. Even if you disable real-time protection in a program, its drivers are usually still running, and often aren't compatible. A more technical explanation is written in http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136994 by LS Andy. But you and other users haven't had any issues with using MSE and Ad-Aware, even without turning off Ad-Aware real-time protection. Maybe because MSE is rather simple (compared to many other antivirus programs).

2. Great that you managed to install 10.3 and thank you for the good description :D
I can create a new topic with a summary of your problem and solution.

#7 DKielby

DKielby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hi CeciliaB (somehow I want to call you Cece :D) ,

I get it, that is, your general explaination. Two sets of drivers both active will tend to argue. LS Andy's post is way over my head. Since I've been successful for several months with disabling Ad-Aware's real-time protection and running both Ad-Aware Free and MSE I will probably continue with this setup. But maybe I will try disabling MSE's real-time protection and keep Ad-Aware's active. Ad-Aware seems to find more problems than MSE.

Thanks for the good description compliment. You are welcome.

I saw the new topic and summary. So then, even a Newbie can make a contribution. :huh:

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi D ;)

No problem with that name, if you prefer that :)

You can even try to have real-time protection active in both programs. You will notice, if your computer slows down or starts to crash.

Yes, you did a good job with finding the solution and that's valuable! :D

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Several posts from Robsav and the answers to those posts have been moved to http://www.lavasofts...-on-the-system/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users