• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GFCH

GFCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

I installed Adaware to resolve an issue but it created WAY more than I had.

It instantly slowed my machine down to a crawl, infact I could go make a coffee while I waited for it to load Firefox.

I have now been trying to uninstall it for the better part of a day and can't.

ADD/REMOVE Programs can't uninstall it so I decided to delete all the Directories and files. I got rid of all but 3 files which I can not delete because each time I do I get a message saying "Can't delete because they are open with another program".

I try SAFEMODE same thing.

Each and EEVRY time I restart my computer ADAWARE attempts to reinstall itself and I have to cancel the Installer.

How do I get rid of this SPAMWARE of yours?

Thank you

#2 hackerman1

hackerman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi !
Exactly what did you do when you tried to uninstall it ?
Did you turn off Ad-Aware first ?
If you tried to uninstall with Ad-Aware still running then you probably will get those problema with files that cannot be deleted.In that case i suggest youn reinstall and then do a "proper" uninstall.

Edited by hackerman1, 29 August 2012 - 07:21 AM.

• Percival likes this

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi GFCH,

hackerman1 certainly has right, but another possibility is to do a system restore to a restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware:
Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

I guess that the cause to your problems is that you installed Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ when you already had an antivirus program installed.

#4 GFCH

GFCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

I assure you I did it properly.

No other AV other than MS defender or whatever they call it now.

If no other AV should be running then there should be a warning during the install. All I wanted to install was the old simple Adaware not a AV program.

Shut down adaware.
UNINSTALL from ADD/REMOVE would not uninstall

Tried uninstaller through CCleaner, still wouldnt
Tried all above in SafeMode, still no uninstall

Restored to a point prior to installing still there.

Booted to SAFEMODE and deleted all Folders and Files. Deleted all but three which could not be deleted as they were open in another program. No idea what "other" program had these files open.

Anything even that remotely looked like it belonged to Adaware had its process terminated.

Still locked out.

Each and every time I rebooted the computer the adaware installer would start up and try and reinstall adaware. I cancelled the installer each and everytime.

I recieved an email from lavasoft that suggested using a third party software to "forceably remove troublesome software that can not be removed by conventional means".

So Lavasoft admits their software is troublesome and produces an uninstall program that doesnt work. Wonderfull.. That inspires confidence

Adaware used to be a goto for me but now it has become nothing more that the programs and viruses it is supposed to clean. A bloated piece of spamware.

Seams I've removed it all and my machine is running as it was.Thanks to Revo and BCWipe

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

The installation program of Ad-Aware 10.2 Antivirus+ checks if one of several antivirus programs is installed and then refuses to install, see http://www.lavasofts...e-102-released/

I think Revo has been used to remove almost all programs in the world by now, since all uninstallation programs can fail now and then. Almost all antivirus programs are difficult to uninstall and it is common that the usual uninstallation from Control Panel isn't enough and an additional program must be used.

You can still use Ad-Aware 9.6 and it can be downloaded from FileHippo.

For the future see the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__137027 by LS Andy.

#6 GFCH

GFCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thanks but no thanks.

Won't ever install Adaware or any of your products again.

Nor will I suggest anyone else use it.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm not working at Lavasoft so it isn't my product. I'm a volunteer here.

#8 hackerman1

hackerman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hi GFCH,

hackerman1 certainly has right, but another possibility is to do a system restore to a restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware:
Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

I guess that the cause to your problems is that you installed Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ when you already had an antivirus program installed.

You are corrrect.
But, you have to remember that it also remove other software and settings that has been installed / done after the restore point was created.
And the system-restore is NOT reliable btw.
I once restored my system to a previous point, but windows update still claimed that i had some updates installed even though these were installed AFTER i had created the restorepoint...!?

So the easiest and best method would be what i posted above: "Reinstall and then do a "proper" uninstall."
If that doesn´t work, then do a system-restore, or even better in my opinion, restore your system from the latest systembackup (if you have one...)

Edited by hackerman1, 30 August 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#9 barbhoney

barbhoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I want to uninstall adAware but the computer says that it can't find this file. Can someone help me know what to do now? I thought I would install the new version and maybe it would remove the old one, but it says that I have to uninstall AVG, which I just installed. I don't want to have no virus protection.

How can I get this program to uninstall?

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi barbhoney,

You can't run Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ together with AVG without problems. Their drivers don't work together. Ad-Aware 10 has full real-time protection while Ad-Aware 9 Free only has a limited real-time protection, which usually works together with other antivirus programs. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for Ad-Aware 9 Pro, the principle is still the same. A more technical explanation is written in http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136994 by LS Andy.

Either you uninstall AVG and only use Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+, or you keep AVG and have Ad-Aware 9.6 (available on FileHippo). For the future see the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__137027 by LS Andy.

Which version of Ad-Aware do you have now and want to uninstall?

#11 DKielby

DKielby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Hi barbhoney,

When I couldn't uninstall I ran the Repair tool/program from the Programs and Features control panel. If the Repair tool is able to fix any problems you have a much better chance at successfully uninstalling.

CeciliaB, please correct me if I am wrong.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7327 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

No need for that, DKielby, you are right :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users