• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tickedOff

tickedOff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

I installed Adaware 10 for the first time on a Windows 7 box and specifically unselected the tool bar and safe browsing in the installer.

It then installed the safe browsing application!

I dislike programs that suggest tool bars and browser modification, but to install it after I say not to is pretty low. You will ruin trust in your user base if you do this. I have used Adaware for a long time and used to recommend it to everyone I know, but I honestly can recommend it no longer.

I've seen this behaviour in 9.x as well.

Regards,
tickedOff

Edited by tickedOff, 30 July 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7550 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi tickedOff,

As far as I can remember, it is only the toolbar you can unselect during the installation and not the function that protects your browsing. Do you mean that the toolbar was installed?

In my computers the toolbar has never been installed, neither with Ad-Aware 9.6 nor with Ad-Aware 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.

#3 tickedOff

tickedOff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Hi,

The install screen has a check box that says:

"Install Ad-Adaware Safe-Browsing module and block malicious web sites on Internet Explorer and Firefox"

I unticked this option and the "Safe Browsing" application is still installed.

If this is not the safe browsing module then it is misleading.

I have had other people's machnines whose searches are now redirected to the adaware pages. This is very confusing for them as they, like me, unselected that option in the installer.

Regards,
tickedOff

Edited by tickedOff, 31 July 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7550 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi,

Ok, my memory is very similar to the description in the manual: http://www.lavasoft....product_manuals
but I will ask my contact person at Lavasoft.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7550 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi again,

You and other persons can uninstall "Ad-Aware Browsing Protection" in Control Panel - Program and Features (Add and remove programs), if you don't want to have the "Safe Browsing" feature.

Please, add suggestions for future versions to http://www.lavasofts...in-ad-aware-10/ which is monitored by Lavasoft staff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Safe browsing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users