• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lynn1102

lynn1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have no need for the pro version so have been using the free version for years. I'm trying to resolve problems with 10.1, but not having much success.
I now have everything turned off except anti-virus, which I can't turn off, and e-mail protection. Several time a day I an still getting a pop up that tells me the server is not available. I don't care - I don't want it. Many times a day, I get a pop up the tells me Ad Aware will protect my system. I don't need this pop up. Yesterday I was rendering a short video and stepped away for a few minutes. When I came back, I found Ad Aware had started a virus scan which blew the whole video thing. I have that turned off also but it ran anyway. I also get daily reminders that my pro version will expire in xx number of days.
Reading other posts, maybe it should be noted or suggested to uninstall previous versions before adding 10.1 I did not. If no one has any other suggestions, I will go back to 9.6 and wait for the next version.

My system is Win XP Pro, service pack 3 and all updates. Running a AMD 3.2 64 but processor. I do have Avast anti virus installed and have had that for years with no conflect with Ad Aware 9.6.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7296 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi lynn1102,

It is not recommended to use Ad-Aware 10 together with another antivirus program, just as it isn't recommended to run Norton and Avast at the same time. Ad-Aware 10 has full real-time protection while Ad-Aware 9 Free only has a limited real-time protection, which usually works together with other antivirus programs. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for Ad-Aware 9 Pro, the principle is still the same. A more technical explanation is written in http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136994 by LS Andy.

For the future see the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__137027 by LS Andy.

You can still use Ad-Aware 9.6 and it can be downloaded from FileHippo.

Regarding your different kinds of issues:

Please, write the exact error message, maybe it is that Ad-Aware cannot reach the update server.

Maybe you should turn on "Gaming mode", I think that would stop Ad-Aware from doing scans and other things while you render videos.

In the pop-up with a reminder that the trial soon will expire, please click the grey "Activate" button and register for an Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ license. When you have entered the license key, you will not get any more reminders.

#3 lynn1102

lynn1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

I just read the info on the new 10.2. I feel lucky today, so I will disable Avast, uninstall 10.1 and try the new version. Will let you know. Thanks

Lynn

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7296 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

I cross my fingers ;)

#5 lynn1102

lynn1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

Not sure I still feel lucky. I dis-ableded Avast, un-installed version 10.1 using Revo, and got rid of all traces.
Install Ad Aware free +. Good install , but tool a looooong time to update. I have enables antivirus, safe browsing, and real time protection. Page says I need pro version to enable e-mail protection.
Doing some checking just now and i find I have the wrong program. It's listed as version 10.1.211.3382. Evidently did something wrong.
How and where do I find version 10.2?

Lynn

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7296 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sorry that I missed it in your previous post, but it is not enough to disable Avast since its drivers will still be loaded and it is the combination of two sets of drivers that gives conflicts.

If you click on Options on the main screen of Ad-Aware, you will find a possibility to check if there is a newer version available.

#7 lynn1102

lynn1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I cleaned out my computer this morning, deleting Avast and Ad Aware 10.1. Reinstall version 10.2 and while updating definitions, locked up the computer. Rebooted and finished updating. Went to set options and found I still have no e-mail protection - not good, expecially since I can't use Avast.
Finished setting and closed program, at which time it locked up (or I thought it did) again. I went for coffee and when I came back, the program was closed. Wanted to make sure options were all set right, so I clicked on Ad Aware, and I got the Orange and black screen with the yellow bar. It ran for over 5 minutes and didn't do anything. Had to hard reboot. Clicked to open Firefox and waited almost 5 minutes for it to open. Once open, it worked fine. Same with all other programs on this computer.
At this time I have completely removed Ad Aware and all things are back to normal. I will install version 9.6 again, and Avast so I have my e-mail and other protection again.
I'll keep an eye here and if things improve, I'll be back.

Lynn

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7296 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Special e-mail protection is only available in the paid version of Ad-Aware 10. But Ad-Aware would still protect you from, for example, starting a malicious program that is attached to an e-mail since that is the common real-time protection.

Are you aware of that you need to run a special clean-up program to remove everything of Avast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users