• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boxx1218

boxx1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

HI, I'm new here and need some help. Please answer these questions.

PS. Right now I'm low on money, so I can only use free security programs.

1 Can Ad-aware 10 free edition work together with Comodo Firewall free edition, without any problems ?

2 What will you recommend as a second and maybe third layer of protection (Firewall, Antivirus, Antispyware, Antispam and so on) ?

3 Which combination of security programs are you using ?

4 What would you say is the best free antivirus out there ?

Please help me.

Edited by boxx1218, 10 July 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi boxx1218,

1. Probably, but I haven't tested. I guess it depends on you can configure Comodo Firewall properly since it is difficult to configure.

2. I think Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ is a good antivirus and anti-spyware program. It should, generally speaking, work with any firewall and anti-spam program.

3. At the moment I'm using Ad-Aware 10.1 Pro Security in combination with PC Tools Firewall Plus version 6 (free). I have been using PC Tools Firewall for years and preferred to not uninstall it when I started to use Ad-Aware 10 Pro Security. But in my new computer I plan to skip that firewall and use the one in Ad-Aware 10 Pro Security instead. I have Mozilla Thunderbird as email program and it has a built-in spam detection.

4. Impossible to answer. You have to define best, should it be best detection in a certain test, best performance, best removal in an already infected computer, best protection when surfing to malicious web sites etc. There is no antivirus program, free or paid, that gets the top position in all tests.

#3 boxx1218

boxx1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi boxx1218,

1. Probably, but I haven't tested. I guess it depends on you can configure Comodo Firewall properly since it is difficult to configure.

2. I think Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ is a good antivirus and anti-spyware program. It should, generally speaking, work with any firewall and anti-spam program.

3. At the moment I'm using Ad-Aware 10.1 Pro Security in combination with PC Tools Firewall Plus version 6 (free). I have been using PC Tools Firewall for years and preferred to not uninstall it when I started to use Ad-Aware 10 Pro Security. But in my new computer I plan to skip that firewall and use the one in Ad-Aware 10 Pro Security instead. I have Mozilla Thunderbird as email program and it has a built-in spam detection.

4. Impossible to answer. You have to define best, should it be best detection in a certain test, best performance, best removal in an already infected computer, best protection when surfing to malicious web sites etc. There is no antivirus program, free or paid, that gets the top position in all tests.

4 I meant best in protection when surfing the web/ realtime protection, and best in blocking and removing threats

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

It is still impossible to answer that. There is no product that is best in all those areas every day. With more than 50.000 new malicious files every day, the result of today will not be valid tomorrow and even running a simple detection test for one product takes long time.

Here are some well-known test organisations:
http://www.av-compar...rativesreviews/ with Detection tests, Proactive tests, Real-World Protection Tests and Malware Removal Tests
http://www.virusbtn....0/rap-index.xml Reactive and Proactive Detection test
http://www.av-test.o...ests/home-user/ Different types of protection, repair and usability tests

#5 boxx1218

boxx1218

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

okay thanks for your help and time

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:02 AM