• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Davidiq

Davidiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

I've just installed Ad-Aware Free. It shows as a free 30 day trial of Ad-aware Pro (OK by me) but when I try to do a scan the "scan" box remains greyed out. It seems to require an activation key which I haven't got. Can anyone help?

#2 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Dude you need to update ad-aware 10 to do a scan,about 30 day trial after 30 day you can register you free ad-aware 10 with a free registration key.

#3 Davidiq

Davidiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the response but as I've just installed it (this afternoon) I don't get the reference to needing to do an update.

(BTW, I had it on my PC previously but I started seeing windows installer dialogue box keep appearing then failing because it couldn't find the right path. So I uninstalled ad-aware, then went for a clean re-install.)

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7536 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Which threat definition version is loaded in Ad-Aware?
Do you have another antivirus or similar program installed?

#5 Davidiq

Davidiq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

I don't know how to determine which threat definition is loaded. See my previous post - this is a re-install. There was something during the uninstall process about saving definitions which I paid no attention to. I have AVG.

But I think this is a sidetrack. I get a dialogue box asking for an activation key, I guess because it has installed as a free trial of Pro. It tells me that the key will have been sent to me by email.But the download I requested was the Free version and at no point did it ask for my email address - so not surprisingly I have no key.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7536 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I don't recommend you to install Ad-Aware 10.1 in a computer that already has an antivirus program. It is too big risk for conflicts and serious problems. It is better that you keep Ad-Aware 9.6, which can be downloaded from FileHippo.

But to get definition version you click on the gear under "Antivirus & Antispyware" on the main screen of Ad-Aware and then select "Update Definitions" tab.

Everyone gets a free trial of Pro, since that is the only available installation file for Ad-Aware 10.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users