• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Yhuzan

Yhuzan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

Hello, I have been using Ad-Aware Antivirus for about 7 months on this computer, and for years on my other with no problems whatsoever.

Recently, on the 7 month computer, whenever I right click ANY folder or file, even if it isn't related to Ad-Aware, a small window will pop up reading "launching Ad-Aware" like an installer window.

After it is down loading, this window pops up:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Ad-Aware Antivirus.msi' in the box below."

To the right of the text is OK and Cancel, below the text is "Use source:" with a drop down menu to select a file directory.

Screenshot:

This began occurring whenever an update became available; I tried updating and all that it did was download the Ad-Aware installer and re-install Ad-Aware.

It is becoming annoying and my wife was barking at me, so I tried completely uninstalling Ad-Aware and I couldn't, so I tried just installing it again and using the fixing feature in the uninstaller, which didn't work, and I re-installed it without uninstalling it. Nothing has worked.

I am using the 'Antivirus Free +' version for a Windows 7 home computer. It is a great product that has kept my computer and family safe from spyware and malicious software attacks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

Edited by Yhuzan, 25 May 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#2 LS Ann

LS Ann

Lavasoft Staff

• 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hello Dave,

I will write you in PM. Can you look and answer please?

Thanks,
Ann

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yhuzan has attached some pictures and some more information in this post: http://www.lavasofts...-being-annoying
If that makes it easier to understand.

#4 jhendry01

jhendry01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Has this issue been resolved??? I'm having the same problem. I even uninstalled Ad-Aware, and I still get the same nagging popup, which really slows me down.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi jhendry01,

Something had happened with your installation of Ad-Aware, I suggest that you reinstall Ad-Aware so the required registry entries can be inserted again.

Or if this problem started recently, you can try a system restore a time when it worked:
Start menu - Program - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

P.S. Did you run a registry cleaner or optimizer program before this started or do you know why it happened?

#6 jhendry01

jhendry01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

I have the same situation as listed above. I installed the new version, and it created the problem. I have tried completely uninstalling Ad-Aware, and running System Suite to clean out my registry, but the problem persists.

This is getting very frustrating, because sometimes it takes several minutes for the popup window to go away.

I really need this to go away.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi again,

Have you tried to install Ad-Aware again as I suggested?

IMHO it is higher probability that a registry cleaner causes this kind of issue than it repairs it.

#8 jhendry01

jhendry01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Makes no difference how many times I uninstall or reinstall the product, I still get the Ad-Aware installation popup. I've even run malware scans, and virus scans to see if it is a trojan, but it appears this is totally a Lavasoft issue.
  • johnnyxi likes this

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

Probably some kind of problem with Windows installer. See Microsoft's suggestions: http://support.micro....com/kb/2438651
Another suggestion: http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136110

As HP writes:

These errors happen because a software package did not complete installation, or is trying to repair a missing file or a removed registry entry.
To help prevent these errors, make sure that registry-cleaning tools and spyware-removal tools do not remove files and registry entries associated with HP software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01631295
In the quote "HP" can, of course, be replaced by other companies, for example Lavasoft.

#10 johnnyxi

johnnyxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

It appears that I am in the same boat as jhendry01 above and am very frustrated.
I too am getting the message "...is on a network resource that is unavailable" whenever I access a context menu from Windows explorer.
I get the message multiple times and I can see/hear XP accessing other drives on my system presumably trying to find the file. I have to hit cancel multiple times to continue to the context menu.
I have tried re-installing several times to no avail.
I have used old versions of my registry - no joy.
There appears to be no problem with windows installer.
The program appears to be looking for the file "Ad-Aware Antivirus.msi"
Has anyone any idea how I might obtain a copy of this file so ad-aware can find it and perhaps continue or allow me to abort the install.
Thanks.

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi johnnyxi,

"Ad-Aware Antivirus.msi" is a part of the installation package.

Which Windows do you have?
Do you have another antivirus or similar program installed?

Are you already using Ad-Aware?
If yes, please try to repair Ad-Aware in Control Panel - Program and Features (Vista and 7), Add and Remove Programs (XP).
Which version of Ad-Aware?

How do you know that there is no problem with Windows Installer?

#12 johnnyxi

johnnyxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hi johnnyxi,

"Ad-Aware Antivirus.msi" is a part of the installation package.

Which Windows do you have?
Do you have another antivirus or similar program installed?

Are you already using Ad-Aware?
If yes, please try to repair Ad-Aware in Control Panel - Program and Features (Vista and 7), Add and Remove Programs (XP).
Which version of Ad-Aware?

How do you know that there is no problem with Windows Installer?

I have Windows XP with Serice Pack 2

The add/remove pgm currently installed menu shows
Ad-aware Antivirus
Ad-Aware Security Add-on
The only other I had was AVG8 (circa 2008) but removed it a long time ago.

I just re-ran AdAware Installer 10.2.21.3698 and after approx 2 mins I got the following error while "Installing application" was showing "Installation package save error. Please check your firewall..." I have 35G free space on HD

When I click The Ad-aware Antivirus item in add/remove menu it shows 'change' instead of remove. When I click 'change' I get the msg (from Windows Installer) saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable...." and it's looking for the .msi file. When that window closes I get a 2nd window that says "The Installation Source for this program is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it"

It looks like I could remove the Ad-Aware Security Add-on if I wanted to.

Re the installer, I checked all info in the links you supplied. I did try to run the
MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.RNP.13427417148847587.2.1.Run.exe pgm they reference but it requires SP 3 which I do not wish to install on this computer. However other programs install and uninstall normally. Also, keep in mind that I did do a restore of a version of my registry that was taken before installing the latest Ad-aware (v10?).

I think the current Ad-Aware version was attempting to replace the last version that I had installed, Lavasoft Ad-aware Personal Build 160. (circa 2007) which I had installed and run successfully.

I believe the problem was initiated when I tried to install the current version of Ad-aware (on 7/10/2012) based on the AdAwareLauncher.log file which reads:
[ERROR] [1] tid=6560 19:25:26.484375 [Application::Connect:118] Creation CLSID_ServiceApplication finished with error. Error message: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Sorry to take so long in responding but I've had to do quite a bit of research to answer your questions and give more detail.
Regards,
JA

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for all your answers.

I hope that you are aware of that it is dangerous to connect an XP computer without Service Pack 3 to internet. It has a lot of vulnerabilities that can be used to infect the computer from a web page. I'll ask my contact person at Lavasoft, if they support XP without SP3.

The latest version of Ad-Aware is 10.3. Please, save the installation file on the computer, and then start the installation file to install.

Most programs don't use Windows Installer when installing/uninstalling.

I think the current Ad-Aware version was attempting to replace the last version that I had installed, Lavasoft Ad-aware Personal Build 160. (circa 2007) which I had installed and run successfully.

Maybe that is part of the problem, since the current installation program doesn't have knowledge of that very old version, which hasn't been supported for a very long time. Is it possible to find a folder that belongs to that old version?

#14 erpguy6

erpguy6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

it's a bad idea to be using WinXP with SP2 lately as some modern programs currently released nowadays refuse to install on that version and require XP SP3 or better. Microsoft ended support for XP SP2 in mid-July 2010 and stopped providing security patches for that specific version around that time.

the version of Ad-aware johnnyxi was using was version 6.0 build 160 - way old. try downloading any one of the Ad-aware 6 installers from the Oldapps.com web site, run the installer and then uninstall that version before installing Ad-aware 10.

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

@johnnyxi,

If my suggestion didn't help, Lavasoft can connect to your computer and investigate the problem, if you want that.
  • johnnyxi likes this

#16 johnnyxi

johnnyxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:19 AM

I installed and removed ADAware 7 without incident however the problem (requiring the .msi file) remains.
Further investigation shows that I have Ad-aware6 installed (and working) even though it does not show up on the Installed programs list. I Ran it and it works. I then tried to remove it using a 68K exec that appeared to come with the package, unwise.exe dated Nov 2001. This did nothing, so I'm unable to remove Ad-aware6.

I was incorrect re being able to remove the Ad-Aware AntiVirus . When attempting to remove it using the Control Panel/Add or Remove Pgms list, I received the missing .msi message again. I then selected the 'repair' option and received an Error 2573 msg,
http://looniesandtoo...com/Tindex.html (sorry, can't seem to load the screen scrape .jpg so put I it on a web site I own)
While this message was active the error has changed. Now when I right click while in Windows Explorer I get the Windows Installer window with a 'preparing to install..' message which disappears after a few seconds without me doing anything.
After I replied OK to the Error 2573 msg the original problem returned.

Thanks for the Oldapps.com web site link. I got the aaw6.exe file, installed and deleted V6 but it made no difference - my old 6 is still there allbeit in a different directory.

I looked at the thread and noticed the suggestion that Lavasoft can connect to my computer and investigate the problem. This seems like a good idea, how do I go about making this happen ??
Many thanks for all your ideas and input.
Regards,
John A.

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

You are welcome :)

Please, try Revo to uninstall that old Ad-Aware. It should be possible to use a folder or file as input to Revo (maybe hunt mode?).

If you send me your email address in a PM, I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft and then someone at Lavasoft will send you an email with further instructions.

#18 johnnyxi

johnnyxi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Please, try Revo to uninstall that old Ad-Aware. It should be possible to use a folder or file as input to Revo (maybe hunt mode?).

If you send me your email address in a PM, I'll forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft and then someone at Lavasoft will send you an email with further instructions.

Did the Revo thing but failed because an install was already in progress. Have PM'd you with requested info.
Thanks x 2 - JA

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I saw that Lavasoft will try to connect to your computer tomorrow.

#20 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7326 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi again johnnyxi,

I heard that Lavasoft managed to get rid of all your old versions of Ad-Aware. I'm glad that your problem has been resolved :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users