Photo

This application has failed to start because configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling may fix this problem.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 editica

editica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi.
I am a total newbee with computers, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant... I think my computer has been infected by a virus or malware. Everytime I try to launch an .exe application, I get the error message in the title. I am only able to open google chrome.
Could someone help me out.
Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dds.txt   9.81KB   166 downloads
  • Attached File  att.txt   9.88KB   220 downloads
  • Attached File  gmrlog.log   17.76KB   131 downloads

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7701 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi editica,

I cannot see any signs of virus or malware in the logs, even in the less desirable Ask Toolbar is installed but that will definitely not give your type of problem.
Did this start after you installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable May 23rd?

Why did you a system restore May 22nd? To which date?

This is from the event log of your computer:
22.5.2012 11:01:03, error: Ntfs [55]  - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.
This can be a sign of a bad hard disk that needs to be replaced. Did you run chkdsk after this message?

#3 editica

editica

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
i restored the system because windows upadate failed and my pc started to ''freeze'', so I restored the system to the old one, and I think after that these problems began to occur. I did run the chkdsk and this is what I got:
The type of the file si NTFS.
Warning: F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK is read-only mode.
CHKDSK is veryfying files (stage 1 of 3)
File verification completed
CHKDSK is veryfying indexes(2 of 3)
Index verification completed
CHKDSK is recovering lost files
Chkdsk is veryfying security descriptors.
Security descriptors verification completed.

Regards.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7701 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

"CHKDSK is recovering lost files"
Something has happened with the file system on the hard disk. It is possible that this is due to a bad hard disk. I suggest that you start to backup all your important files, in case that the hard disk gets worse.

After that you can run chkdsk again, but this time using the "/f" parameter that will fix the found problems. See http://support.micro....com/kb/315265/ section "How to run Chkdsk at the command prompt" 3. second item in the list. Hopefully Windows will start to work better after that.

But to be really sure that the hard disk doesn't need to be replaced, you should test the hard disk with its manufacturer's test program, which can be found on the  manufacturer's  web site. If you don't know who has manufactured the hard disk, look into the Device Manager to find the article number of the hard disk. It is usually easier to find the test program with the help of http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 than searching manufacturer's web site.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7701 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank You !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users