25 replies to this topic

#1 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi folks.

I'm having some problems with ad-aware atm.

I keep getting these pop-ups where ad-aware is trying to install something, but seeing that I removed the program, reinstall'd it and tried whatever I can, I can't seem to make it stop.

It mentions this:

ad-aware antivirus.msi

and

C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Temp\{00D52C1F-9FA7-431A-9C07-C52494CEA1F9}\

It startet when one day, the harddrive I had Ad-aware install on, lost connection to my PC, that has been restored so the program should work as intended.
It did, but this annoying install began.
So I began trying to resolve this issur.

I guess it's because somewhere in the ram it tells the PC to install something from this dir, but this dir dosen't exist so naturally it can't.
But it keeps trying and I can't seem to stop it. If I cancel the install, it just gives me an error and tries again later.

How do I remove this so my PC dosen't try to install non existing stuff? really annoying.
  • andre21 likes this

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi way3000,

Which Ad-Aware version do you have?
When do you get the message?

#3 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Well I have the newest, or had, I removed it now and don't dare to install before this problem is resolved.

It happens completely random. I suspect it does anytime it would run a real time scan.
I can trigger it when I right click a file on my desktop. Quite annoying tbh.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

When you right-click a file, Windows will read the register to get information about which menu items to display. One of them is Ad-Aware (when installed), and probably Windows will try to repair Ad-Aware if the program is listed and installed but not available. Please, check what you have listed in the right-click menu. I found these two programs at Softpedia:
http://www.softpedia...ndowsClub.shtml
http://www.softpedia...nu-Editor.shtml
Note, I haven't used them so read all information about them.

One other person reported that behaviour after uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller instead of Ad-Aware uninstallation program.

-----------
I have moved the topic from the forum "General support" to "Ad-Aware 10.x".

#5 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

It seems like a plausible scenario, but after installing those and trying to find any mentioning of ad-aware, I still am stuck with the same problem.

It pops up at random, not just when right clicking, but it can be forced that way. Even if I leave my PC for hours, it's there when I get back.

it's like it's a "forgotten" commando to open that .msi file in the temp, but the temp has been erased so it's not there anymore.
Normally a PC would put up an error and delete that command, but this one dosen't. I don't know where Ad-Aware puts those commands, nor how to delete them, but I belive that's what I need help finding out.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

There was nothing about Ad-Aware or unknown choices in the right-click menus?

Is anything added to Event Viewer (Control Panel - Administration Tools) at the same time as the message is displayed?

#7 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I do not see anything happen in the event viewer.

Also, things have now changed, since I installed that program you linked me (first one) everytime I right click, the folder I am in, dosen't respond. No right click menu comes up.
It's just that swirly cursor. I have to terminate the folder through task manager to close it down. (everything runs on, just the folder who dies)

I am feeling a format is the best solution, though it's annoying as **** :( and if avoidable, best avoided.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Uninstall the program since it didn't help you solve the right-click problem.

Have you installed other programs since you installed Ad-Aware?
You could try to do a system restore to a restore point created before installation of Ad-Aware, if available. But if you had installed or uninstalled other programs since that restore point, you could get problems with those programs.
Start menu - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

You could also search for 00D52C1F-9FA7-431A-9C07-C52494CEA1F9 in the registry editor "regedit". Be sure to create a restore point first, in case you mess something up.

#9 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

I did find it in the reg edit, tomorrow (lives in Denmark) I will attemp a restore point and removing these since it's connected to ad-aware msi files, which is gone, and has a temp value with that exact name on it.

That could be the solution, but I'll have to sleep now so Will attempt this tomorrow, will return to tell how it went! :)

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

God morgon/dag!
Nice that you found it in the registry :)
Yes, please tell us the result.

#11 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

God dag :)

Well, I've deleted those entries in the reg DB and it did change something.

I still can't right click without the folder going non responsive. Though the error message disappeard. Now only the "starting the install" window appears, disappears and then it stops responding. (Before it also led to an error message box)
So it feels like a step the right way! I might try using CC cleaner, that might give a hint if I'm lucky.

#12 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

CCCleaner did find a problem related to ad-aware, and it did remove it.

now the folder freezez completely when i right click. Went from yay to bah in 0,5

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

God kväll!

Sorry, that was bad news :(
Maybe best to start over and doing a system restore.

#14 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Kväll might be swedish or norwegian :P

Yeah, I figure it's time to do a format anyway, Windows kinda tend to get broken within 4 months anyway :P
Just too bad it had to be through ad-aware this time.

apparently, loosing connection to a hardrive with ad-aware can cause a, supposedly, unsolveable problem that could require a reinstall.

Maybe, just maybe, a windows repair session could do the trick, but I doubt it though. Seems something has been put somewhere and can't easily be accesed and/or removed.

might poke your developers department and ask them where they put that kind of information on our PC's ;)

anyway, I'll meddle a bit more, if it's broken anyway I can't hardly destroy much, will tell you if I ever find a solution, beside ofc. a format :P (well, that's hardly a solution? might get closer to giving up, seen from a IT tech point of view :P)

Thank you alot for your ideas and help! great with dedicated help, best customer service I've ever seen on a free application! (unless you buy it ofc)

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

You're welcome! :D
I'm from Sweden.

I meant a system restore to a restore point before the registry mess. :ph34r: But if you are used to do installations of Windows, that is probably the fastest solution. If you find another solution, I'm very interested.

I'm a volunteer here and not employed by Lavasoft, but I have a few contact persons at Lavasoft and will show them this topic.

#16 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hehe I'm kinda used to that and more :) I'm an IT technic (geek) for some years now, so I should be knowing how to do just that ^^

I haven't found a solution right now, and I'm kinda too stubborn to format right now, I hate surrendering, so I'll keep you updated on the issue. So far, no succes though. Still same problem as when I posted.
Getting on my nerves :P

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Then you are certainly not the average member here :D

I have attached the Ad-Aware Antivirus.msi (zipped) that I found in my corresponding Temp folder, but I think it is for version 10.0 and not 10.1. But you can try to store it in the folder where Windows tries to find it.

Attached Files

#18 way3000

way3000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Thank you very much! I do though belive now that I've deleted the path, it might not be looking there again, but I can test and see :)
  • andre21 likes this

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7557 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed (håller tummarna) that you find a solution :D
  • andre21 likes this

#20 andre21

andre21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I think your computer configuration is lower then it will need. just try to make some cover up your p.c. hard ware. Then re install this. I hope then it could run properly.
or you can install the lowest version of this soft ware. After all this if it doesn't work then i have no idea how to manage it. Actually i am giving you this advise cause i use this method in various soft wares. If it works please reply me, let me know that it helped you or not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: install, problem, keep, trying, temp, appdata, 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users