• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fltan1

fltan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

I have been using Adaware for years without any significant problems.

Similar to a previous poster, I too have crashed a desk top and a laptop.

I tried everything................removing/deleting Adaware, reinstalling, safe mode, restore points, rebooting from the last known working settings always resulting in the fatal blue screen.

The lap top required a clean install of Windows with a complete loss of all information.

I was finally able to get the desk top running again. Interestingly, there Adaware still exists TWICE on my add/remove program list and I am unable to remove it. I get an error message saying: The feature you are trying to access is on a network resource that is not available. I have yet to find a way to completely remove Adaware and all it's remaining pieces.

Judging from the number of post regarding problems with Adaware 10x, it appears that the problems are wide spread. While is is unfortunate that these problems were not realized and fixed by Lavasoft prior to it's release, the manner in which Lavasoft is seemingly ignoring the problem and has failed to come up with a fix to date is irresponsible. This being the case, if I am ever successful in removing Adaware completely it seems foolish to attempt to reinstall it again.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has come up with a way to complete remove Adaware.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi fltan1,

I promise you that Lavasoft is working hard to solve the problems with BSOD and other crashes, but unfortunately there are different reasons in different computers and there is no simple solution. They did a lot of code changes between 10.0 and 10.1, and it is less BSOD with 10.1 than with 10.0. They continue the struggle to find the remaining necessary changes.

If you had BSOD in the desktop and want to help Lavasoft find the reason, they would appreciate if you could upload the created dump files. Which Windows do you have in the desktop?

The most common way to solve the problem with your error message is, regardless of product, to install the product again. But I can understand that you don't want to do that in this case. Do you still have any Ad-Aware folders?
Have you tried Revo Uninstaller?

#3 porsche712

porsche712

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

I wish I could remove the folders, but every time I go to file explorer to locate it in program files, it tries to install something, not sure what. I am on a dell d600 running windows xp SP3. Not sure what new upgraded version installed when I clicked OK on the older version, but now I can't launch it, remove it, kill it, delete it, can't even delete the shortcut on my desktop. Anything like those actions and I starts trying to install something related to ad-aware and it all locks up. HELP, we need someone to fix this before we all lose our machines and our minds to whatever is wrong with the newer version. And no, I have no idea which version is installed, I can't get near it to find out, no right click, nothing. Can't even look at the directory to see what is in there. HELP!!!!!

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi porsche712,

Is it possible to use the computer if you start Windows in Safe mode?
Start the computer in Safe mode by tapping F8 key repeatedly during the start and select Safe mode in the menu, see http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx.

If Safe mode works, I suggest that you do a system restore to a restore point created before the Ad-Aware installation:
Start menu - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Do you have another antivirus program installed?

Do not delete the Ad-Aware folders, I think that will give you other problems since then Ad-Aware will be only partly removed.

#5 fltan1

fltan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on both the laptop and the Desktop.

As I previously stated, I have now gotten around the BSOD after restarting in safe mode, using a restore point and rebooting using last known working configuration.

I do not know what version the Adawares that appear twice in Add/Remove programs, but they cannot be removed.

If you tell me how to search for the actual folders, I'll be glad to in an effort to better identify them and possibly remove them.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Please, see XP Dump files on how to find and upload the existing dump file.

Installation of Ad-Aware creates these folders:
C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware Antivirus
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Ad-Aware Antivirus
Which ones do you have?
Please, don't remove them.

#7 fltan1

fltan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have 4 minidump files. I cannot open them.

I have also found the following folders: C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware Antivirus, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft and C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Ad-Aware Antivirus

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

You shouldn't open the dump file, you should zip (pack) them into a zip file and upload it here to let Lavasoft look at them. They will be able to find more details about what caused the crashes in your case. Please, first check the dates of the dump files so none of them is old.

So all folders are still there. I will discuss this with a person at Lavasoft and come back to you.

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi again,

Is it possible to do a system restore to a restore point before the installation of Ad-Aware again since so much is left of Ad-Aware?
Since you first did a system restore and then selected "last known working", it is possible that "last known" overwrote some of the changes that the system restore did.

Do you still have the installation file of Ad-Aware? It would be best to check that it was version 10.1 you tried to install and not 10.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users