18 replies to this topic

#1 Beatles4

Beatles4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi there,

I'd like to put my humble opinion across....

I just don't think lavasoft are listening to us,

I liked Ad aware for the anti adware and anti spyware, I paid for a antivirus back in january for a year, then this month I download ad aware 10 and it runs fine, then downoload 10.1 and it crashes pc.

Ihave disabled ad aware for the time being.

Been told and also read posts saying I should uninstall my anti virus for it to work, why would I after paying for it in January am not wasting money..

It almost like forcing it upon us, and of course its not gonna work with other vendors, and telling us to get rid to be able to have adaware to work.

Not happy with Lavasoft, and disabling ad aware means less secure system, not happy with that either... :angry:

#2 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

The problem you have mentioned is universal When using two anti virus there is always risk of system instability which varies from slow system performance,conflicts or blue screen of death.
Since ad-aware 10 alone has very good detection than other free alternative you can use it alone.If you need more security then use emsi anti malware free version and scan your pc monthly.

Edited by megamind, 18 May 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Beatles4

Beatles4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Okay fine, but what if I paid for my antivirus, and all I wanted was a anti spyware and anti adware IE Ad Aware from Lavosoft, I didnt want anti virus on it shoving my paid version off my computer for them, do anyone else know what am saying here?

#4 Lifegazer

Lifegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have a similar problem. I have Ad-Aware Pro and and Norton 360. I like this combination on security and I paid for both. Now every time I start Ad-Aware Pro, I constantly get a splash screen telling me upgrade to Ad-Aware 10. When I try to upgrade, the download tells me that Ad-Aware 10 is not compatible with Norton 360. Now I understand that two anti-virus programs will not work together but at least give me the option of saying "No Thanks" for the upgrade so that the "upgrade to Ad-Aware 10 splash screen stops appearing. I purchased Ad-Aware Pro as a anti-spyware program. If I can't get rid of this annoyance then maybe is time to stop paying for this program.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi Beatles4,

I just don't think lavasoft are listening to us,

They are now, but they didn't realise before the release of version 10 that so many didn't want to use Ad-Aware as an antivirus program.

disabling ad aware means less secure system, not happy with that either

It is still possible to use version 9.6, if you prefer that. You can download it from FileHippo.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

I have a similar problem. I have Ad-Aware Pro and and Norton 360. I like this combination on security and I paid for both. Now every time I start Ad-Aware Pro, I constantly get a splash screen telling me upgrade to Ad-Aware 10. When I try to upgrade, the download tells me that Ad-Aware 10 is not compatible with Norton 360. Now I understand that two anti-virus programs will not work together but at least give me the option of saying "No Thanks" for the upgrade so that the "upgrade to Ad-Aware 10 splash screen stops appearing. I purchased Ad-Aware Pro as a anti-spyware program. If I can't get rid of this annoyance then maybe is time to stop paying for this program.

Hi Lifegazer,

Lavasoft is preparing an update of version 9.6, that will let you select, on the splash screen, that you don't want to see it again. It should be released any day now.

#7 erpguy6

erpguy6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi Lifegazer,

Lavasoft is preparing an update of version 9.6, that will let you select, on the splash screen, that you don't want to see it again. It should be released any day now.

or just rename or delete the Autolaunch.exe file from the \Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware\ folder.
that permanently disables the "upgrade" splash screen.

personally, I'll steer clear of Ad-aware 10.1 and wait for a version 10.2 or 11.0 to be released.
I'll continue to use Ad-aware 9.6 for a while.

Edited by erpguy6, 23 May 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#8 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1535 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi erpguy6,

We've changed the prompt screen for the upgrade - there's now a check box: "Remind me later". Checking this and hitting "Update later" means it will prompt very occasionally instead of every time the GUI is opened:

Attached File  Remind me later.png   13.63KB   1 downloads

unsolicited@tenalia.com

#9 Beatles4

Beatles4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

You say I could go to 9.6, BUT 10 worked fine before 10.1

I hope you have a 10.2 coming out soon

you should have two version, one with anti virus, and another without a antivirus

Edited by Beatles4, 24 May 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hi Beatles4,

A lot of persons had problems with 10.0, even if you didn't. It is possible to use 10.0 too, if you prefer that over 9.6. See http://www.lavasofts...-was-installed/

It is not the antivirus feature itself that is the problem, even version 9 have an antivirus engine, but the full real-time protection in version 10 instead of the limited one in version 9 Free.

#11 Blairian

Blairian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

Went to filehippo, can find 10.1 but not 9.6. Are you sure its still there?

#12 erpguy6

erpguy6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:02 AM

Went to filehippo, can find 10.1 but not 9.6. Are you sure its still there?

it's still there. you just need to look harder. here's the link to get version 9.6 at Filehippo.
http://www.filehippo...ad-aware/10910/
then click the link that says "Download This version"

#13 Lifegazer

Lifegazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

In May, Lavasoft said there would be a check box on the splash screen if we didn't want to see it again. Here it is, the middle of Aug., and all they added was a check box that says "remind me later". So now the splash screen appears pretty much every other time I use Ad-Aware. There needs to be a check box that says "do not show again". I think Lavasoft thinks that if they keep showing the splash screen, I'll wear down and download the updated Ad-aware. Instead, it makes me wonder if I should ever buy another product from Lavasoft. This is like getting spam.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hi Lifegazer,

In May, Lavasoft said there would be a check box on the splash screen if we didn't want to see it again.

I think it was I that wrote that, but it was a misunderstanding. Sorry!

The splash screen is supposed to be gone for 30 days when you use the check box. I don't know why it doesn't work in your computer but I can ask my contact person at Lavasoft on Monday, if he has any suggestions.

#15 BWarriner

BWarriner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Glad I found this thread. I had waited on AdAware 10 for several months before installing it, I did a clean uninstall of AdAware 9, went to install 10, and can't get past the 'Please uninstall Norton 360 to continue' prompt. AdAware 9 worked well in conjunction with Norton 360 (although, over the last couple of months, I would receive error shut down messages for AdAware 9 that I believe were conflicting with Norton 360) but both apps still appeared to work together most of the times. Hopefully, the good folks at Lavasoft will figure out how to get AdAware 10 to work simultaneously with Norton products in the future.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hi BWarriner,

Ad-Aware 10 has full real-time protection while Ad-Aware 9 Free only has a limited real-time protection, which usually works together with other antivirus programs. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for Ad-Aware 9 Pro, the principle is still the same. A more technical explanation is written in http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136994 by LS Andy.

For the future see the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__137027 by LS Andy.

#17 BWarriner

BWarriner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Thanks, CecilaB for those links. It's good to know that Lavasoft has moved to a full-featured product. When my Norton360 license expires, I will most likely remove Norton360 and purchase the full version of AdAware 10 and run just the one program. I have to admit, the times in the past that I have had issues, I've found Lavasoft's support forums' Moderator suggestions and resolution team have always resolved my issues second to none. I can't say that about Norton at all.

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

You are welcome, BWarriner :)

I'm glad that you like Ad-Aware and the forum :D

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7767 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi  Lifegazer,
I think it was I that wrote that, but it was a misunderstanding. Sorry!
The splash screen is supposed to be gone for 30 days when you use the check box. I don't know why it doesn't work in your computer but I can ask my contact person at Lavasoft on Monday, if he has any suggestions.

It turns out that someone decided to change the interval of the splash screen to 7 days. As far as I understand, it will be changed back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users