• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 joeblow

joeblow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

I just downloaded the free version of Adaware Antivirus and it is causing major problems with my computer. I tried to uninstall it from "add remove programs" but there is no remove button associated with this particular program in my program files. All of my other programs do have this button. I tried to reinstall the program thinking I may be missing components but it did not help. I went into the program folder and looked for an uninstall file but there is not one. How can I get this off of my computer. It keeps trying to install and freezes up everything else. Help!!
  • satanya2006 and Kyle753 like this

#2 rubbish_samurai

rubbish_samurai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Had a similar problem yesterday. I tried to upgrade from version 9 to 10. Once installed, it completely froze my PC and I spent 4 hours trying to get rid of it.

As per many other threads on the forums adaware 10 will cause major conflict problems if you have any other antivirus software on your PC or if they have not been completely removed prior to install (Mcafee and MSE in my case). I only use adaware for antispyware scans as the definition files are great, but the latest version’s antivirus software does not play nicely with other antivirus programs (unlike version 9).

Now with my rant out of the way, to answer your question....

I too tried various uninstall options. As my PC would not function in standard mode at all my only option was to run in SAFE mode, however this would not give me the uninstall options like you mention (no Windows Installer functionality).

My only option was to use a system restore point. Depending on how you have your PC set up and which OS you are using this should give you a restore point prior to the installation. In Vista & Windows7 you can find this option in your start menu (programs/accessories/system tools/system restore). Check the date & time on the system restore point & if it is just before you installed adware then this may be a good option (worked for me).

The main problem with a system restore is if you have installed/updated other programs since the last restore point, as you will lose these as well.

If you are unsure about using this option try contacting Lavasoft first to see if they have a better suggestion.... http://lavasoft.com/..._problem_report

As a footnote to Lavasoft, I installed version 10 fully aware of the potential conflict problems (it was my choice). Mainly because of the annoying pop-up in version 9 every time the program started. I had to see if I could run the latest version with existing programs. Obviously I failed, which is a shame, as it seems I can no longer go back to version 9.
  • satanya2006 likes this

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

If necessary (for example if system restore does not work) Lavasoft has prepared a file that can be run to allow Ad-Aware to be uninstalled in safe mode. See http://www.lavasofts...post__p__134961

Mainly because of the annoying pop-up in version 9 every time the program started.

In a update during this week it will be possible to get rid of that pop-up.

as it seems I can no longer go back to version 9.

Version 9.6 can be downloaded from http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

#4 rubbish_samurai

rubbish_samurai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Awesome :D - thanks for the info. I shall go back to v9.6.

Is there any info on how long Lavasoft will support def updates for older versions of Adaware (i.e. v9.6)?

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

You are welcome :D

Lavasoft has not been decided that yet. Usually a version is supported during 18 months (counting from its release date), but since Ad-Aware 9 and 10 are very different it costs a lot to create signatures for both versions, so it may be shorter this time. I think they will not end the support while there are big problems with version 10, but I cannot make any promises.

#6 rubbish_samurai

rubbish_samurai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

CeciliaB

Having re-installed Adaware I now feel at peace with the world again!

I'll keep an eye on the forums over the coming months, and hopefully once things improve with version 10 I'll have another go at upgrading.

I know you're a volunteer moderator, but having seen you provide help in numerous threads I think Lavasoft should be paying you!!

Keep up the good work :)

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thank you rubbish_samurai :)

I'm glad that you are satisfied now.

#8 fredm1978

fredm1978

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

It doesnt work at all...

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi fredm1978,

What doesn't work? Uninstallation, that is the title of this topic, or something else? What do you do and what happens?

#10 ozark

ozark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I am having problems getting rid of Adaware also.

Details: Windows XP media addition, HP Pavilion a1250n. I don't know what version of Adaware. I assume it is the latest; was installed 8/3/2012

My tale of woe: I used Adaware in the past and was reasonably satisfied. The software was updated and I didn't like it.

Thought I uninstalled it.

Fast forward a year or two. I was doing a little house cleaning and Adaware was on my list of software. Attempted to remove it, apparently installed the latest greatest version. It shows up on my programs list. When I attempt to uninstall it intiates the install process.

Tried the windows add remove programs, doesn't show up on the list. Tried CCCleaner, once again it doesn't show up on the list.

How in the heck do I get rid of this?

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Hi ozark,

It is a bit difficult to know what happened, but if you installed the latest version of Ad-Aware 1-2 days ago, I suggests that you do a system restore to a restore point created before the installation. Then you will at least get a more stable and well-known system. It is usually possible to uninstall Ad-Aware version 8 or 9 with good results using Revo Uninstaller.
How to uninstall Ad-Aware 9.x

#12 ozark

ozark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

I am having problems getting rid of Adaware also.

Details: Windows XP media addition, HP Pavilion a1250n. I don't know what version of Adaware. I assume it is the latest; was installed 8/3/2012

My tale of woe: I used Adaware in the past and was reasonably satisfied. The software was updated and I didn't like it.

Thought I uninstalled it.

Fast forward a year or two. I was doing a little house cleaning and Adaware was on my list of software. Attempted to remove it, apparently installed the latest greatest version. It shows up on my programs list. When I attempt to uninstall it intiates the install process.

Tried the windows add remove programs, doesn't show up on the list. Tried CCCleaner, once again it doesn't show up on the list.

How in the heck do I get rid of this?

A follow up: Tried typical uninstall program as before,

Reread FAQ on uninstalling Adaware. Unfortunately the process outlined in the FAQ bears little relation to what I see on my computer.

Follow up question:

If I delete the following, 1. will Adaware acually be uninstalled. 2. If so in what order should I delete them?

AAWService.exe
AAWTray.exe
Ad-Aware.exe?

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

Reread FAQ on uninstalling Adaware.

For which version of Ad-Aware?

If I delete the following, 1. will Adaware acually be uninstalled.

No, you can't delete files to uninstall an installed program.

#14 mannjash

mannjash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

The bottom line is Adaware 10 keeps messing up - freezing and not working. I just went and uninstalled the program (thru the registry). I've reinstalled 9.6 version (found at http://www.oldversio...m/Ad-aware.html). It's working perfectly - even though I'm being prompted to upgrade to the newer version. I believe that everyone should email Lavasoft to tell them the new version isn't working and to please allow other anti-virus programs to work together with adaware. If no one tells them, how will they know that their consumers are struggling (even though they "know this to be the case"). Please email lavasoft - it can be done thru their website here...(http://www.lavasoft....contact/Website). Thanks.
  • satanya2006 likes this

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hi mannjash,

No need to email Lavasoft, they receive information from this forum, their Facebook page and from their support team. Note that the link you provided are for questions/issues regarding Lavasoft web site and not for their products. They are well aware that it is impossible to use Ad-Aware 10 together with other antivirus programs. But Ad-Aware 10 works perfectly for me and many other users.

For the future see the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__137027 by LS Andy.

#16 satanya2006

satanya2006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Wish I would have checked the forum before I tried to update. Updated to the 10.2 edition, but it never seemed to complete installation (progress bar was still visible with full line color). Activation failed repeatedly. Unable to shut down computer...tried everything, but unplugging it from the wall. Next, I uninstalled the old version. Then, the Toolbar and Identity components, using the Add/Remove Programs method. Unfortunately, I'm unable to uninstall the Adaware Antivirus Program itself because it says some part of installation needs to be completed first. Yeah...the part that won't ever complete. So now what? I have Windows XP for an operating system; I was installing the free version, and I'm obviously not real knowledgable about computer stuff. Should I try the system restore "thing" or ? Thanks for the help.

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi satanya2006,

Yes, please try "system restore".

Do you have another antivirus program installed?

#18 mannjash

mannjash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

satanya2006,
Be careful with system restore. Make sure you back up your machine before doing it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's just easier to go into the registry and delete entries with adaware or lavasoft attached to them. If you've never done it before, please get someone who knows how.

#19 mannjash

mannjash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

I just received word from Adaware that they are releasing a new version in December which allows users to pick and choose which options to install. Possibly this might allow us to choose not to install the antivirus part of it which seems to be conflicting with other antivirus package previously installed. Time will tell. Thanks for listening Adaware!

#20 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7552 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Note, that December is according to the current plan and it can be changed. As LS Andy wrote in the post I linked to, Lavasoft plans to release a version that can be installed when another antivirus program is already installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users