• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 coolcucumber

coolcucumber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I had ad-aware 9 on my laptop. I saw that 10 was available, so I ran the installer (assuming it would handle uninstalling the previous version). I was told by a popup window after a little while that my PC would need to be restarted in order for the installation to be complete. I clicked "OK". At this point, the PC didn't start to restart, but just continued with the installation. A few minutes later the installation said it had completed. I was prompted to restart my PC.

When I restarted my PC however, I found that not only was 10 not installed, but 9 was also gone. I had nothing. There was no trace of either version anywhere. I ran the installer for 10 a couple more times and the exact same happened.

For the time being, I am running 9 again, which installed just fine again.

#2 Beatles4

Beatles4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

I had this also on my computer, installed fine on laptop, but could not uninstall the version on my computer, it said it had installed, but left 9 still on there, but no trace of 10.

#3 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi coolcucumber,

Do you have another antivirus program installed that might be interfering with the installation?

#4 coolcucumber

coolcucumber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

A very weird thing happens when I run the installer. It says that I have "Norton Internet Security" installed. This is false. I have not got that installed, and never have had it installed.

What I do have is COMODO.

I don't however want to get rid of COMODO.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Did your computer come with Norton pre-installed? That is rather common. It is also rather common that uninstallations don't remove everything in the registry, for example the part that lists installed antivirus programs.

Comodo has a lot of protections in its firewall/HIPS/Defense+, it could prevent Ad-Aware from installing its drivers etc.

#6 podoyle

podoyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have the same problem: installation of Ad-Aware Pro version 10 claimed success, rebooted, version 9 still there. No other anti-virus installed.Running version 9 prompts me to update, endlessly.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi podyle,

If you still have Ad-Aware 9 running, it is not the same problem as coolcucumber.

I suggest, that you first uninstall version 9 and then install version 10. But I'm a bit confused since you just wrote that you couldn't download Ad-Aware 10 in http://www.lavasofts...ng-connections/

#8 podoyle

podoyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

Soon after I posted the message that https://secure.lavasoft.com was refusing connections (btw: that URL is still refusing connections), when I clicked "Update" I was redirected to a different URL, one that allowed me to download an installer.

Using that installer, the update claimed that the installation was successful, but after the reboot Ad-Aware 9 was still there, and the "Update to version 10" window still popped up. I just now removed version 9.x via Control Panel, rebooted, and this time the installer truly installed version 10.1.

I followed the same procedure on my XP machine (I have a three user license): uninstalled version 9, rebooted, ran the installer, successful installation of version 10, reboot, but within a few minutes I was greeted by a BSOD!

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Unfortunately there seems to be some kind of problem with Ad-Aware 10.1 in some computers. If cannot use normal mode at all, I suggest that you start the computer in safe mode and do a system restore to a restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware 10.1. There are more more detailed descriptions and more suggestions in other topics created the last week. You will also be able to find links to Ad-Aware 9.6, which will get the possibility to stop the "update" pop-up in an update this week.

#10 Edzo

Edzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

I also have been having issues with installing 10.1. I had 9.6 before which worked fine, i bought 10.1 after it suggested upgrading. However when it finished installing 10.1 the program is not actually installed (and 9.6 was gone). I was in contact with general support and they suggested installing Ravo to ensure all of 9.6/10.1 was removed, and to then try installing 10.1 again. I followed all the steps , however this did not work, and i emailed the general support tech back to tell them. That was 8 days ago, i have not heard anything since.

I am running Windows 7 home Premium (64 bit) and i do not have any other antivirus programs installed. Can you advise on what i should do next?

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hi Edzo,

Do you get any error messages during the installation of Ad-Aware?
Do you mean that nothing is created during the installation, nothing new in start menu, no new folder in C:\Program files etc?

I can also inform my contact person at Lavasoft support that you haven't received an answer but to do that I need your e-mail address. Please, don't write it in the forum but send it to me in a personal message (PM).

#12 Edzo

Edzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hi CeciliaB

Thanks for your reply.

There are no error messages generated during installation.
On the 2nd installation attempt i went to the default installation area, and saw that the folder for Ad-Aware was created and then a few seconds later it was deleted (while the program was still installing). I tried the "run as an administrator option as well but keep getting the same result.

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hi Edzo,

I have sent your email address to my contact person. I'm sorry but I have no suggestions at the moment. :(

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hi again,

Support says that they sent you a message May 20th, but haven't heard from you after that.
Did you receive the suggestion with Revo Uninstaller the 20th? If yes, please send your answer to that again.
If Revo Uninstaller was in an earlier message, please check your spam/junk folder if the message from Lavasoft is there.

Please, check in the Event Viewer (somewhere in Control Panel) if any information is stored there simultaneously with the failing installation.

#15 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have been in contact with support again and she says that the message May 20th is the message about Revo Uninstaller. With the information you have given in this topic, the suggested next step is:

If you have a Lavasoft folder in start menu, please, uninstall the Ad-Aware, by going to:
Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> and click on Uninstall Ad-Aware
*** Please make sure to uncheck the boxes to remove the definitions, files kept and settings as this will ensure that no part of the software is left on the system ***

Reboot your computer.

This time download the new Ad-Aware 10.1 via the link below:
http://download100.l....1.211.3382.exe
Install Ad-Aware.

Make sure to Reboot your computer after the installation. This step is crucial.

#16 Edzo

Edzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hello CeciliaB

I actually replied twice (May 21, & 23) to the support person (Shangeetha) and i put @lavasoft.com on my safe senders list so i would not miss an email....

I want to thank you for the help, I followed your steps provided above however the program will not install. After a few seconds of installing It says that the "wizard was interrupted before Ad-Aware Antivirus could be completely installed".

From my event log i found this message:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine ConvertStringSidToSid(S-1-5-21-2372968767-3930157498-3269487955-1003.bak). hr = 0x80070539, The security ID structure is invalid.

Operation:
OnIdentify event
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
Writer Instance ID: {5bc255bf-c3ef-44ce-82ef-a33e77a9c072}

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi Edzo,

That seems to be a Windows issue and not an issue with Ad-Aware. I think Ad-Aware installation is rolled backed since it is impossible to create a system restore point. Can you create a system restore point manually?
See http://www.sevenforu...int-create.html for a description.

Is the event id 8193?
http://social.techne...f3-da64567676df presents a suggestion for that event id that seems to have helped several persons.
Or maybe this one http://blogs.technet...0x80070539.aspx

#18 Edzo

Edzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi CeciliaB

Don't think it is a windows issue as i'm not having any other problems, and Ad-Aware 9.6 installs without a problem. However you are right the installation does roll back.

I can create a restore point manually.

The event ID is 8193, and i followed all the steps from the articles you provided, and i no longer get the Volume Shadow Copy Service error in the event log. But i noticed this one "Product: Ad-Aware Antivirus -- Installation operation failed. event ID 11708" It was happening before as well.

#19 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7410 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Edzo,

Nice that Volume Shadow Copy Service error no longer occur. :)
I don't know if Ad-Aware 9.6 uses the Windows Installer (MSI) to do the installation.

Event ID 11708 is also an error from Windows installer. You can try the different suggestions under "Resolutions" on http://support.micro...b/2438651/en-us
Post #2 on http://www.techtalkz...id-11708-a.html has a suggestion.
On http://www.eventid.n...staller&phase=1 the following posters seems to have good suggestions:
Maarten Hobbelen
Steve Palmer
Christophe Lubrano di Ciccone

When I read the above, I remembered the following that sometimes solves installation issues with permissions:
Start an elevated Command Prompt by selecting:
Start menu - Programs - Accessories
Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Move to the folder where the installation file is located by using the "cd" command (ask me if you need help with that).
Enter the installation file name.

Have you used any registry cleaner?
Sometimes they change the registry so functions stop working.

P.S. Lavasoft support cannot find your answers from May 21 and 23.

#20 Edzo

Edzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hey CeciliaB,

I ran the windows fixit program and it says that there is nothing wrong with windows. I followed all the posts you provided and tried all their suggestions/solutions, as well as your suggestion however i still am unable to install 10.1.

I haven't used a registry cleaner ever, don't really trust them....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users