• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Ad-Are Free Antivirus+ was recommended to be so I decided to download the program

Firstly I was directed to CNET for the download which in itself is ludicrous, does that mean Ad-Aware are actually scared to host their own download??

Secondly when download it download as an UNWANTED trial of Ad-Aware PRO

This mean I CANNOT adequately evaluate the program against other FREE Antivirus programs such as AVG and AVAST and I cannot easily see what will be available in the free program - ie will there AUTOMATIC DEFINITION UPDATES etc

This is VERY poor and those responsible MUST be identfied and SACKED

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi twobobbles,

When I try to download AVG Anti-Virus Free, I'm redirected to download.cnet.com as well. Nothing suspicious with that, why not let them with big server parks with a lot of redundancy handle what they are specialized in.

Most persons appreciate to get the possibility to test the Pro Security version during a month. There is at least one other anti-malware company that only has one download file and that is the Free version with a 14 day trial of the Pro version.

The differences between the three different variants of Ad-Aware 10 are specified on product pages and in the manual, but in short the Free Antivirus+ version covers the functions listed under "Basic Protection" on the main screen, while all listed under "Advanced Protection" are included in Pro Security and some of them in Personal Security. If you only want to test the functions of the Free Antivirus+, you can either inactivate everything under "Advanced Protection" or press the "Activate" button in the window informing you that your Pro version will expire in xx days and follow the given information.

Manual: http://www.lavasoft....product_manuals
  • twobobbles likes this

#3 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Interesting

When I hit the "Activate button I find a link inviting me to get an activation key - I then am taken to http://lavasoft.com/...ts/ad_aware.php which invites me to download the free version which then sends me back to CNET so I am back where I stated - Is there no way to get the free version without this AWFUL trial?

#4 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

you can either inactivate everything under "Advanced Protection" or press the "Activate" button in the window informing you that your Pro version will expire in xx days and follow the given information.

This GARBAGE as there in NO information given

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Interesting

When I hit the "Activate button I find a link inviting me to get an activation key - I then am taken to http://lavasoft.com/...ts/ad_aware.php which invites me to download the free version which then sends me back to CNET so I am back where I stated - Is there no way to get the free version without this AWFUL trial?

Is it the "Activate" button in the window that has the header "Your trial period expires in xx days"?
See the manual, page 13 and 17: http://www.lavasoft....product_manuals

#6 LS Andy

LS Andy

Lavasoft Staff/Forum Overlord

• Root Admin
  • 1536 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ad-Are Free Antivirus+ was recommended to be so I decided to download the program

Firstly I was directed to CNET for the download which in itself is ludicrous, does that mean Ad-Aware are actually scared to host their own download??

Secondly when download it download as an UNWANTED trial of Ad-Aware PRO

This mean I CANNOT adequately evaluate the program against other FREE Antivirus programs such as AVG and AVAST and I cannot easily see what will be available in the free program - ie will there AUTOMATIC DEFINITION UPDATES etc

This is VERY poor and those responsible MUST be identfied and SACKED

Hi twobobbles,

re: Trial of Pro. Point well taken and we understand the confusion it had caused to some of our users. It has already been identified as something we are changing in 10.2+. In the meantime, if you would like to try our Free version without any of the Pro features - you can simply turn off all Advanced Protection features on the white panel (except for safe browsing). Please remember that there are no differences in the malware fighting abilities of our free (vs Pro) as it already contains all of the best protection. Additional features can simply be turned off.

re: Hosting of CNET. Download.com offers an objective way for users to compare the strengths of different offerings through editorial and user reviews. In order to aim for more transparency we have opted to try to host the download through CNET again (we have done so for 11 out of our 12 years of existence). You've probably noticed that all of our major competitors host their downloads on CNET - it's not so unusual. We would be happy to know more about why you would think this is an issue and would address it promptly if required.

Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Lab
unsolicited@tenalia.com

#7 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

re: Hosting of CNET. Download.com offers an objective way for users to compare the strengths of different offerings through editorial and user reviews. In order to aim for more transparency we have opted to try to host the download through CNET again (we have done so for 11 out of our 12 years of existence). You've probably noticed that all of our major competitors host their downloads on CNET - it's not so unusual. We would be happy to know more about why you would think this is an issue and would address it promptly if required.

One of the reasons I distrust CNET is that often they include their own installer in the download. This often contains other software unrelated to the product being installed including items like the Blekko Toolbar

My main argument about the fact that the download starts as a trial is that this is NOT mentioned on your own Website - This page which you are taken to in order to download the Free Antivirus http://www.lavasoft....aware_free.php# gives the option to Upgrade for a $1 a month or states "

No Thanks
Continue with Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+

No mention is made regarding the trial until you get to CNET - This makes it appear that it's CNET that are doing this rather than you

#8 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Andy,

Twoboobles is some what right my ad-aware 10.1 is automatically changing to Pro trial even if i activate it with my free activation code on reboot. You should seriously consider to provide different installers for free,trial pro,pro etc.

Hope you understand.

#9 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

There is nothing on the actual download at CNET either to inform you that a trial will be installed UNLESS you click on the reviews - Having been directed from here many will therefore be unaware that they are downloading a trial

#10 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Posted Imagetwobobbles, on 13 May 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Interesting

Is it the "Activate" button in the window that has the header "Your trial period expires in xx days"?
See the manual, page 13 and 17: http://www.lavasoft....product_manuals

Interesting but CRAP information - Having read the pitiful product manual I note that the option on page 13 doesn't show up till toward the end of the trial ie I want rid of the trial NOW I do not and cannot wait till toward the end of the period

I am beginning to wonder if I have download COWBOY software and would be better off ditiching altogther and going with something REPUTABLE like AVAST

#11 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hi twobobbles,

Sorry for remembering wrong. My memory is that the window popped up at every computer start rather soon after installing the trial.

But as said, you will get the same functions as in the Free version, if you disable everything under Advanced Protection.

#12 opptatt

opptatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

I uninstalled it twice before accetping it on my PC.
Why?
I thought it was malware...
Why?
Simply because I got something else than what I had chosen.

Why not give choices?
--- "You have chosen Free, click here if you want a 30-day-free-Pro-trial..." ---

I understand that Lavasoft want to sell a product and not just give away another.
That's of course fair, but perhaps bad psychology???
Depends on the customer.

Time for a little praise...
The product looks very good.
The quick scan is so fast that I'm asking myself if it really scans...but of course it does.
I like the Safe Browsing which has already given me some warnings...hhhmmm...

#13 opptatt

opptatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Alas.
The Qucik Scan was extremely fast.
The Full Scan extremely slow.
I have an Acer Travelmate 2490 witg 2gb ram and c+d disk 70g, and most of it is free space, XP servie pack 3.
At this moment the full scan has run for 2 hours.
The older versions of free ad aware never run for more than 1 hour 15 min on the same pc.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hi opptatt,

Why not give choices?
--- "You have chosen Free, click here if you want a 30-day-free-Pro-trial..." ---

After several complaints, Lavasoft will change the current installation program in version 10.2 to make it possible to choose between Free and Free with trial.

#15 twobobbles

twobobbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi opptatt,

After several complaints, Lavasoft will change the current installation program in version 10.2 to make it possible to choose between Free and Free with trial.

Thank you, it makes a pleasant change to hear of a company actually listening to and responding to customer feedback - I commend Lavasoft for this welcome action

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

You are welcome :) I will forward it to my contact person at Lavasoft.

#17 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7775 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

@raifordcap67:
Your post has been moved to its own topic since it isn't similar to the rest of the topic.
http://www.lavasofts...splitted-topic/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users