11 replies to this topic

#1 exucasvu

exucasvu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hi,
Following random bluescreen crashes I have just downloaded and installed the free version of AdAware with a view to a undertaking a full scan. But try as I may, I cannot get the application to launch. Is it possible I have picked up a virus which is preventing the launch? Any help much appreciated.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi exucasvu,

Have you installed version 10.1?
Have you restarted the computer after the installation?
Have you another antivirus program or firewall installed or maybe just uninstalled something?

Is the error message/stop code on the bluescreens always the same?

-----------
I have moved the topic from the forum "General support" to "Ad-Aware 10.x".

#3 bellaggio1770

bellaggio1770

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Same issue here. Been using Ad-Aware Free for years. Just downloaded the new version......but software DOES NOT LAUNCH !

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell XPS 9000 desktop

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi bellaggio1770,

If you want some help, please answer the questions in post #2.

#5 bellaggio1770

bellaggio1770

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Have you installed version 10.1?
--> I do not know what version it is, or where this info is indicated. I downloaded and installed it yesterday and it is the "free" version.
Have you restarted the computer after the installation?
--> Yes.
Have you another antivirus program or firewall installed or maybe just uninstalled something?
--> I had the previous version of Ad-Aware Free. I installed the new version on top of the old one, and also tried removing the old one first, then installing
I also have an antivirus called "Avast", which I used in parallel to Ad-Aware for many years with no problems.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi,

Then it should have been 10.1 that you installed. The version before that was 10.0, which has the same user interface as seen on http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/ The older 9.6 can be seen on http://www.filehorse...re/screenshots/

Ad-Aware Free version 9.6 was only an anti-malware program, while version 10.x is called Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ since it is a good antivirus program plus anti-malware etc. Combining two antivirus programs often means problems. It maybe is easier to install Ad-Aware 10 (in your case it seems to not be fully installed), if you turn off Avast while installing. You can also continue to use 9.6.

#7 bellaggio1770

bellaggio1770

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

By the way, I have the issue on 2 computers... I believe there is a problem with the Ad-aware software.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Both with Avast?

Since you have a really serious problem with Ad-Aware 10, you might contact Lavasoft directly if you prefer that: http://lavasoft.com/..._problem_report

#9 bellaggio1770

bellaggio1770

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I had to uninstall it, I'll wait a few months to see if the compatibility issue has been fixed. I've tried everything.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

You can use Ad-Aware 9.6 until you want to try version 10 again, bellaggio1770.

#11 adaniel21

adaniel21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

Similar issue here, we were using McAfee Enterprise edition, prior to this install of Ad-Aware 10.1. Our business purchased individual licenses for Ad-Aware Personal Security for our workstations and laptops. Some of the computers are Windows XP, some Windows 7 Pro, and a couple of the home use laptops are Windows Vista Home Premium.

Most of the installs have gone without problem. However, on one laptop with Windows Vista Home premium, the program will not launch after installation. The steps we followed were:

We first removed McAfee, via Programs and Features.
Then downloaded and installed the Ad-Aware Personal Security 10.1 from our purchased download link.
Rebooted when asked to do so.

Ad-Aware icon appears on desktop, and in Programs list on Programs and Features. But the program will not launch, either on startup, or when the desktop icon is double-clicked. Also will not run when right-clicking the icon and saying "Run as Administrator". no error message, the cursor just "spins" and then stops. No portion of the program appears to load (ie no screen for Ad-Aware appears at all).

I have tried both "repair" through Control Panel/Programs and Features, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. The the problem still exists.

I have also manually deleted the Ad-Aware folder in c:\Programs (x86) after an uninstall. Then reinstalled, but have the same problem.

I have tried installing both from the download link and also from the Ad-Aware CD (which we purchased at the same time we purchased the licenses). The same issue exists (program will not launch).

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7794 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi adaniel21,

Since you have bought the product, you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers: http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support

Is there a clean-up program for your version of McAfee Enterprise? I found this for VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i: https://kc.mcafee.co...tent&id=kb50602
In case there are some left-overs that disturbs Ad-Aware or its installation.

If the computer is infected, it is also possible that that Ad-Aware (installation) is disturb in a similar way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users