• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

After installing, running, and then uninstalling Ad-Aware, my virtual machines in VMWware Server have no network connectivity. They're using a bridged connection to the host, cannot get a DHCP IP address, and end up getting an auto-configuration IP address (169.254.x.x).

I'm not using Windows Firewall, Zone Alarm, or any other firewall. All virtual machines are affected, and I have re-installed VMWare Server. I have also run WinsockxpFix.exe on both the host and a VM. I have reinstalled the host's NIC driver.

I don't know whether this will help, but:
1. The host has a Gb NIC connected to a 100 Mbs switch. Therefore, Control Panel -> Network Connections shows it as a 100 Mbps connection.
2. The same applied to the VMs - in other words, their NICs also showed as 100 Mbps.
3. But now, the VM NICs show as 1.0 Gpbs, with no connectivity - as if the cable was unplugged.

I've tried to give as complete information as possible. Can someone please help me? Thanks in advance!

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi pstallone,

Were you using Ad-Aware 10.0 or 10.1?
Version 10.1 was released a week ago.

Did you have any issues while Ad-Aware was installed?
How did you uninstall?
Did you use any more programs than the usual Windows uninstallation procedure?

#3 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

It was Ad-Aware 10.0. There were no obvious issues during installation. I uninstalled it using Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs.

Thank you.

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

You are welcome, pstallone. :)
Do you still have any Sunbelt drivers installed for the different network connections, both virtual and real?
See the screen shots in the post http://www.lavasofts...post__p__135179
That topic is mostly about that the drivers are not removed during uninstallation and when removed manually the network connection is lost.

#5 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Yes, on the host "real" NIC, and also on most of the VMWare ones. Should I remove Sunbelt from them? I assume yes...

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yes, they shouldn't be there, but I'm more worried about the lost connections. Are they with or without Sunbelt drivers?

#7 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

The lost connections have Sunbelt drivers.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes, then try to remove the Sunbelt drivers as suggested in the post with the pictures. I suggest that you create a system restore point first.

#9 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I've removed Sunbelt from the network connections as outlined in that page, and there is no difference. I even rebooted the host afterwards.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

Sorry that it didn't help.

Is it possible to do a system restore to a date just before the installation of Ad-Aware 10.0?

Do you want to install 10.0 again? Hopefully that will restore the connections.
FileHippo seems to have 10.0: http://www.filehippo...-aware/history/
and then exit Ad-Aware, stop its services etc before uninstalling.

Since you have a really serious problem with Ad-Aware 10, you might contact Lavasoft directly if you prefer that: http://lavasoft.com/..._problem_report
I don't think they work during the weekend.

#11 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

pstallone,

Try switching off ad-aware 10 firewall and see.

#12 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

First, Thank you, whoever, for deleting the idiot spam.

I'll try re-installing Ad-Aware then uninstalling again and see if it solves the problem. I'll post the results later...

#13 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

1. Reinstalling and uninstalling Ad-Aware does not solve the problem.
2. System Restore returns a message "Can't restore".
3. This is my computer at WORK, I am forbidden to reinstall Windows myself, which would fix the problem. It would take a month to ship it to IT and get it back. I need it NOW, and every day.
4. Therefore, you can be pretty $%^&^ sure I'll never use Ad-Aware again.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

2. You can try a system restore in safe mode. That is sometimes easier.

If you have paid for Ad-Aware, you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers: http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support
If not, see #10.

#15 pstallone

pstallone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

I tried System Restore in Safe Mode. I tried every single entry that was created before I installed Ad-Aware. Every one resulted in a "Can't restore" message.
I had installed the free version of Ad-Aware

I re-installed version 10.0 and uninstalled it, still doesn't work.

I'm going to try PCMover to save the applications that I can't reinstall, re-install Windows, then restore the applications using PCMover. First, I'm going to try this on a different PC just to make sure it'll work. If it does, I can reinstall Windows (a no-no according to our IT dept.), then move their apps that I cannot otherwise install and no one will be the wiser - nyah ha ha!

What an unbelievable pain in the rear... Reminds me of a few summers ago when Zone Alarm's security certificates for free versions expired and suddenly computers running older versions of free Zone Alarm were left with non-functional Zone Alarm that couldn't be uninstalled. That too cost me many hours. I'm beginning to doubt that free software is a viable alternative any more...

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 6776 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Why not try with Lavasoft support (see post #10) before you start reinstalling? They can connect to your computer and see what is going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users