Photo
- - - - -

adware 10, WORSE then previous versions..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

IMO.. this version is WORSE then previous versions, i am having issues with online games not downloading updates, sites not fully downloading etc.. the sec i turn ad-aware 10 OFF.. everything works fine .. also. the little window that pops up when you minimize it, " ad-aware will continue to protect your computer against malware " needs to go or have a setting where you can turn it OFF, very annoying to see that EVERY time i boot to windows, or do any thing with ad-aware IMO.. lavasoft, should split ad-aware into 2 products. the antispyware they are known for, and an full fledged ani virus and leave it at that.

i will be uninstalling AA10, going to see if i can find the previous version..

#2 Pierre67

Pierre67

Valued Member and Beta Tester

• Valued Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Try this link for previous versions.

http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/
regards, Peter.

I do NOT use Lavasoft Ad-Aware and do NOT work for Lavasoft. I just monitor the Forum from time to time.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!!!

#3 erpguy6

erpguy6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

I feel your pain, Falco. Ad-aware 10 is turning out like when Windows Vista was first released back in early 2007.
many people hated Vista when it first came out and downupgraded immediately back to XP.

a similar fate happened with Ad-aware 7 (2007) when that version first came out, it frequently caused crashes on Windows Vista.
users switched back to older versions of Ad-aware until version 7.02 was released, which became fully Vista compatible.

I too have switched back from Ad-aware 10 to version 9.6, which was working really good.

#4 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:02 AM

even if version 10.2 were to come out now.. i doubt i would switch from 9.6 ... for the reasons why i uninstalled 10 to begin with... having to turn it off just to play a game or update it, or to view a web page .... really defeats the purpose.

i'm sticking to 9.6 ...

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hi Falco,

Lavasoft would appreciate if you could leave some more information, then they would be able to change Ad-Aware.
Do you have another antivirus program or firewall installed?
Which Windows version do you have?
What is the difference in your computer after installing 10.1 compared to when 10.0 was installed?

#6 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

no other AV software installed, other then windows defender, which is a part of Win 7 and no firewalls installed (other then the one in my router ) after i went back to 9.6 i have not nor do i intend to install 10+. if it comes down to lavasoft no longer supporting older versions, then i'll probably just stop using adaware and either look else where, or just rely on windows defender ....

again.. AFTER installing 10, i was having all of these issues.. disable/not load 10, issues go away, i could even start the game update, World of warcraft, starcraft 2, even the diablo 3 and WoW expansion betas it pretty much stops, disable 10, the game updates, continue, uninstalled 10, went back to 9.6, everything works just fine.. IMO.. adaware 10 IS the problem here.. nothing else ....

sorry for the late reply.. made this post... then forgot about it :-)

Edited by Falco, 30 May 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Regarding the issue that Ad-Aware doesn't start LS Ann wrote this: http://www.lavasofts...g-program-icon/
Do you want to install version 10 again and let Lavasoft connect to your computer and investigate it to try to find the bugs, so that they can be corrected in a future version?

In my opinion the computer is not particularly safe with only 9.6 Free, and definitely not with only Defender, but that's your choice. I hope that you check the computer in other ways, for example online scans.

#8 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

i'd rather not install 10.. if i have to shut it down in order to do any thing.. whats the point of even installing it ?

i never said that ad aware doesn't start, the updates to the games i play DON"T UPDATE with 10 installed, for some reason it blocks them.. a phrase from a previous post from me says how i feel about version 10 : " went back to 9.6 i have not nor do i intend to install 10+. if it comes down to lavasoft no longer supporting older versions, then i'll probably just stop using adaware and either look else where " going from other posts i have read on this forum.. seem there are a few others that HATE ad aware 10. suggestion to lavasoft : scrap further development on 10, strip the antivirus software out of it, ( or just take version 9.6 update it with the features of 10s anti spy/spamware ), and call it ad aware 11 with NO AV part .... IF lava soft insists on making an AV program... make it a seperate program/application from the spy/spamware

as i said.. i am NOT installing 10 again .... sorry...

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ok.

Ad-Aware 9 contains an antivirus part too, but version 9 has a limited real-time protection compared to version 10 and other antivirus programs. Most users complaining in the forum due to problems with version 10 are trying to run Ad-Aware 10 together with another antivirus program (or only partially uninstalled antivirus program), so your case is rather unique.

#10 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

still.... the way 9 works.. is loads upon loads better then how 10 works ... haven't had to configure anything with 9.6 as far as allowing programs to work and such ... 10 should be the same thing.. but i guess in my case.. it is not * shrug *

ahh well... my view on 10 still stands... and i am sticking with 9.6 until i have no choice and either have to stop using it.. or try something else ....

#11 yuniverse

yuniverse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

IMO.. this version is WORSE then previous versions, i am having issues with online games not downloading updates, sites not fully downloading etc.. the sec i turn ad-aware 10 OFF.. everything works fine .. also. the little window that pops up when you minimize it, " ad-aware will continue to protect your computer against malware " needs to go or have a setting where you can turn it OFF, very annoying to see that EVERY time i boot to windows, or do any thing with ad-aware IMO.. lavasoft, should split ad-aware into 2 products. the antispyware they are known for, and an full fledged ani virus and leave it at that.

i will be uninstalling AA10, going to see if i can find the previous version..

I couldn't agree more. Even though I've purchased 3 licenses, I've decided to uninstall it from all my computers. At first I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly having all these problems(computer coming to a crawling speed, internet not working, etc.), but once i uninstalled it, all was normal.
I'm sorry, lavasoft, but I just can't handle it anymore.

#12 dacheek

dacheek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

I normally am not one to throw new versions under the bus as I work for a software company myself, but I really was dissapointed when I upgraded to v10. It took me 6 hours this morning to get my laptop back running normally after the upgrade and that included uninstalling Ad-Aware. I know that its difficult to QA every single scenario, but I almost feel like this one was 'missed' on the way out the door here... Immediately after the upgrade my computer felt like someone had hijacked it, was running slow and my internet connection was almost non-responsive (have 30Mb/s so that isnt normally an issue). This morning I could not get pages to load and so I rebooted, it took almost an hour to get logged into my laptop and when I could finally get into some programs (mind you that everything ran absurdly slow and I could not even get task manager to open for a while) they didnt want to run and my only answer was to uninstall.
The first uninstall didnt work well as it BSOD my laptop, got back into things (another hour boot/login time) and was able to uninstall. After that reboot things were working normal again except for one small detail - that my IP stack had corrupted. I had to uninstall/re-install all of my network card drivers to get online again.

Little rough here guys, and I will not be going to 10. I know that you say AA has had A/V in it for a while, but the whole reason I started using it was for the anti-malware. I do not need yet another AV tool/suite, but just something to get rid of all the other garbage that collects on a system that AV doesnt collect. I do have an AV software running on my laptop already, and while as a technology person I do understand that you shouldnt run two of them - there was NOTHING on the upgrade or install that mentioned or warned about compatability issues. I completely understand the need to expand the bounds of the software, but you have to let people know what is going on when you do that as an upgrade to V10 will probably cause a lot of problems for most people.
Not sure if I will install an older version or find something else now, was very dissapointed.

#13 ebpacenyc

ebpacenyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:26 AM

I have to agree with the general sentiment here in this forum. It seemed like my PC was hijacked. I've had this happen before with other firewall programs, but after accessing an options menu I was able to adjust the settings to allow in/out connections for IE, Firefox, iTunes, etc. WIth AA10, I COULD NOT find any settings where I can "allow" in/out connections to these programs. I think LS should stick with making spyware detection software. This business of AV and FW programs found in AA10 have A LOT of bugs to be worked out.

Oh, and before a mod asks, I have Windows VIsta, I turned off Windows Firewall (as I noticed in a reply above), and Windows Defender was already off. When I restarted, I got the same results as user "dacheek" noted in his post (slow speeds on my programs and no webpages opening up). I also couldn't connect to iTunes or the App Store. HOW HARD is it to allow a connection to the freakin' iTunes site???

Very disappointed with LS and AA10. Probably going to find another program that meets my needs w/o resorting to "hijacking" my computer and changing Internet settings for me.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi ebpacenyc,

The firewall in Ad-Aware 10.1 is off by default. Did you change that?
Do you have another antivirus program installed?
To configure the firewall, you press the gear below "Advanced Firewall" on the main screen of Ad-Aware. There is a tab called "Application Rules".

It is still possible to use Ad-Aware 9.6 that can be downloaded from FileHippo.

#15 ed_g

ed_g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hi all,

Having a similar experience here as well. Have been a massive fan of AdAware for years now and have run it alongside several other security programs without issue. As a previous user mentioned, it picks up a lot of the system fluff that others do not (although it has also failed to pick up a couple of unwanted programs that others have spotted). However, my experience over the last few days with version 10 has led to me reverting back to 9.6, probably for good. In the interest of Lavasoft being able to use the following info though, I'll outline the issues I've faced. Excuse the note form, but there's a lot to list and I'm in a bit of a hurry due to having wasted this morning trying to fix the problem!
  • Started full system scan of 500GB drive with definitions file 12038. System slows to a crawl when AA is scanning, so couldn't use PC. Scan commenced Sunday pm and itself seemed very slow, compared to prev vesions of AA.
  • Still scanning Monday eve, almost 24h later. Left scan running, still unable to use PC.
  • Tues morning, after a further 12h, scan timer had reset to show ~11h, not the 36h that should have been the case. Scanner was also not progressing and definitions seemed to have been updated to 12049(?). AA was unresponsive and wouldn't display any reports, even after trying to stop the scan.
  • Restarted the PC and AA would not load at startup. Manually started AA, which crashed. Manually started again to receive msg about being unable to connect to update svce and no updates presently installed.
  • Ended all process trees - AdAware, AdAware Antivirus, AdAware Service.
  • Started AA manually, noted definitions file 12038, started trying to apply updates but took forever (and losing patience at this stage). Report from the prev scan had all fields showing as "unknown" and contained no info. Tried to view info on new quarantine items (not picked up by any other program) by dbl-clicking, AA immediately showed "Not Responding" in its title bar and hung for some time.
  • Task mgr could not end the task, so used process mgr. This seemed to kill Win Explorer and made Start menu inaccessible.
  • Tried to uninstall AA, but was told Win Installer Svc unable to start.
  • Shut down PC, which took forever and a day, left it off for a while, rebooted, opened AA and saw quarantine was now empty, no definitions were loaded, tried to search for updates but nothing happened.
  • Looked for an option to repair the installation, but no option available. Reinstalled over the top instead and restarted as prompted.
  • No definitions downloaded, could not connect to update svc. Gave up and uninstalled AA.
I do have a lot running on my system (Malwarebytes, Spybot, MSE, Comodo and Avira) due to bad experience and some testing I'm doing, but as mentioned above, this has not caused any issues in the past on any of the four machines on which I have this suite installed. Only issue has come from having AA 10 on this machine. It's also Win 7 Home Premium.

Hope this helps provide some info/insight - shame to ruin such a good product.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi ed_g,

I think you got all the problems because you have several products with full real-time protection installed. Ad-Aware 10 has full real-time protection but not Ad-Aware 9 Free. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for Ad-Aware 9 Pro, the principle is still the same.

The general advice is to use online scanners and/or on-demand scanners for extra safety instead of having them running all the time.

Let us hope that Lavasoft will develop a product with limited real-time protection again.

#17 Falco

Falco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

sadly CeciliaB .. seems AA 10 has already soured alot of us that loved 9.6, went to 10.. had issues, then reverted back or stopped using AA completely. so it may be too late....

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7519 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

In the forum many have reverted back to 9.6 with the comment that they will upgrade, when there is a version that works together with their antivirus program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users