• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyPanda

AndyPanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have downloaded Ad-Aware 10.x free version ... installed without a problem on Windows XP. Reboot and Ad-Aware tries to launch and then pops up the "Ad-Aware Antivirus has encountered a problem and needs to close" "Send Error Report" to Microsoft? window. Then every couple of minutes afterwards Ad-Aware tries to launch again and once again pops up the "Send Report to Microsoft"

I've uninstalled (fortunately it does uninstall OK) and reinstalled with same results.

I've installed MalwareBytes which runs without a problem and verified my computer is clean.

I'd like to use Ad-Aware but it will not run on my XP system. I have a lot of un-needed services shut down to optimize my performance (and everything else runs fine this way). Are there some specific windows services the Ad-Aware relies on to run properly? Or certain Microsoft patches required that I may not have? Is there a list of requirements for Ad-Aware to run properly on Windows XP?

Here is the error signature that pops up when Ad-Aware cannot run:

AppName: adaware.exe AppVer: 10.0.185.3207 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0001b21a

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7336 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi AndyPanda,

Does Windows Update report that any updates should be installed?
Do you have another antivirus or similar program installed, except Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?
What antivirus program did you have before you installed Ad-Aware 10?

#3 Ron_Ellis

Ron_Ellis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I've also had poor results with AdAware 10/10.1 on Windows XP. After trying it on each of four differenet PCs we've given up, removed the software, and continued to use the more (Windows XP) reliable version 9.6. We're hoping to see a version 10 dot release that is Windows XP compatible. (Interestingly we've seen NO problems with AdAware 10 on Windows 7.)

#4 BBD

BBD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

I've had version 10 on my windows 7 computer for a while. But today it locked-up and won't run. It wouldn't uninstall successfully.

I decided to try installing version 9.6.0 (free) right over it. That seems to have worked fine. It loads up as "paid-up pro" and shows my expiry date as in 2013, like it should.

My wife's lap-top had locked-up too. I had to pay a techie to sort it out. It's working OK now with version 10.

The pain and expense of it is a real disappointment.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've also had poor results with AdAware 10/10.1 on Windows XP.  After trying it on each of four differenet PCs we've given up, removed the software, and continued to use the more (Windows XP) reliable version 9.6.  We're hoping to see a version 10 dot release that is Windows XP compatible.  (Interestingly we've seen NO problems with AdAware 10 on Windows 7.)

Ad-Aware 10 is compatible with XP, many persons are using that combination without any problems. Maybe you have other antivirus programs installed in the computers. Having two programs with full real-time protection often gives serious problems.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

I've had version 10 on my windows 7 computer for a while. But today it locked-up and won't run. It wouldn't uninstall successfully.

I decided to try installing version 9.6.0 (free) right over it. That seems to have worked fine. It loads up as "paid-up pro" and shows my expiry date as in 2013, like it should.

My wife's lap-top had locked-up too. I had to pay a techie to sort it out. It's working OK now with version 10.

The pain and expense of it is a real disappointment.

I don't think that installation of Ad-Aware 9.6 will remove anything of Ad-Aware 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users