• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hi chasji,

Since you have bought the product, you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers: http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support

Note that recently released version 10.1 has new versions of the drivers and will probably not give the same problem.

2. In my humble opinion, registry left-overs from antivirus programs (regardless of company) can be ignored since they will not have any impact on the computer.

#22 haparnold66

haparnold66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

I don't know what Lavasoft did when they created Ad-Aware 10.x (free edition), but it caused me no end of problems with my 2 computers (1 laptop & 1 desktop - both using Widows 7 OS). The Firefox browers became "glitchy," and the internet browsing was slowed. Numerous attempts to uninstall the thing on both machines met with error messages and other obstacles. I finally resorted to restoring to a week-old restore point to get rid of the mess.

I have been an Ad-Aware user for a nearly a decade. This is without doubt the worst update/upgrade I've ever seen. I'm DONE. All versions of Ad-Aware have been removed from my machines. For the sake of other users, I hope Lavasoft is able to rectify the problem soon.

Sign me: Sorely Disappointed

#23 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi haparnold66,

Did you install version 10.0 or 10.1?
Did you have another antivirus program installed?

#24 adrii

adrii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello,

I downloaded the free trial version of Ad-Aware 10.0 Pro 4 days ago, and ever since then I've been having internet connection problems. Sometimes it connects, and sometimes it doesn't. When I tried uninstalling it through the Control Panel, the computer crashed mid-process. Upon restart, the program no longer shows up on the list of programs. I tried Programs>Ad-Aware>Uninstall but I got this error message: "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed" Yet the program does show up on the Programs list and on the desktop and when clicked on it opens up as if it was fully installed.

I do not have a system restore point (for some reason the option was turned off)

I tried downloading the zip/txt file but it did not work for me.

Please help me fully uninstall Ad-Aware in simple terms (I'm unfamiliar with many of the terms being discussed in this forum).
Thank you!

Edited by adrii, 10 May 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#25 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi adrii,

If it is something you don't understand, please ask.

Do you have another antivirus program or firewall installed?
Are you sure that you installed version 10.0 and not 10.1?

I tried downloading the zip/txt file but it did not work for me.

Which file do you mean?

One suggestion that often works when there is a problem with uninstallations, is to install the program again and then uninstall it immediately.

P.S. I hope that you have turned on System Restore now.

#26 adrii

adrii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Thank you, Cecilia!

I tried the SafeMode.txt file on the first page.
I have Advanced system care and Avg anti-virus on here but I figured they were for computer cleanup and virus protection respectively while Ad-Aware is primarily for spy-ware. I guess that could have contributed to this malfunctioning but I had Ad-Aware (and the others) for years now, and I didn't have any problems with it until this update (Ad-aware 10.0.185.3207).

Anyway, I installed and uninstalled and that seems to have done the trick! Thanks again!

#27 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

You are welcome, adrii :) Great that you could uninstall now.

SafeMode.txt will only make it possible to uninstall Ad-Aware in safe mode, nothing else, and should only be used by persons that cannot start in normal mode.

Ad-Aware 10 is a complete antivirus program with anti-spyware function. It is usually possible to have Ad-Aware 10.1 (but not 10.0) together with another antivirus program, and Lavasoft has tested Ad-Aware 10.1 together with AVG without any issues.

Using registry cleaners, for example Advanced System Care, is always risky. I have seen many topics on internet forums with problems caused by registry cleaners, for example Windows update stops working, problems uninstalling antivirus programs.

#28 RobRob

RobRob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

need help with uninstalling. I have upgraded to Ad-Aware 10 Free (from version 9) on both of my computers, both computers became unusable after reboot.

Since then the system boots without BSOD, but everything is broken and extremely slow, I can not uninstall or do anything.

I reckon there must be something else that is starting, maybe a driver. Can someone tell me the name of the driver (.sys) that Ad-Aware 10 is using, so I could remove that from the safe mode command line?

I'm on WinXP and have ran the prior versions of AA for years (with NO trouble) so I was glad to upgrade to AA 10.1 (for a minute or two).

I rebooted into no Networking and BSODs from ndis.sys and sbhips.dll .

I tried to remove it using "Safe-Mode with Networking" (which also has broken Network) but it can't find the files it used to install (and looks for 'adaware_installer.msi' when I installed from an '.exe').

I had to try using normal-boot-mode (not Safe-Mode) but it would BSOD shortly after starting.

I went back to Safe-Mode and disabled the auto-start (for the ToolBar Icon) and that bought me a few extra minutes of runtime before BSOD (anything accessing the Network would increase the likelihood of BSODs and Internet Explorer could not connect to read this Thread for help).

Back to normal-boot-mode and more attempts to remove it were futile since the Installer seemed to access ndis.sys and cause BSODs when uninstalling.

Finally back to Safe-Mode and when the question pops up if you 'really want Safe-Mode or System Restore' I chose System Restore - that working quickly and (relatively) painlessly.

I'll check back in the weeks to come to see if this issue is fixed. It is too difficult to remove to bother installing again.

The only way to rip it out (on WinXP) was with a 'Safe-Mode rebooting System Restore' (or whatever you call it), make sure you disable AA's autostart and Services to buy yourself a few minutes of Runtime (without BSOD).

#29 MIkeF2

MIkeF2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

I recently updated yesterday (5/13) pc rebooted to log in screen after that it has not finished loading desktop since 9 pm last night ! It gets to desktop but half my icons don’t load and I can’t do anything it appears to still be loading all i get is an hour glass? So I can’t even get to control panel to uninstall. Any suggestion’s

#30 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi MIkeF2,

It would be very kind of you, if you can tell us more about your computer, then Lavasoft can investigate and correct Ad-Aware.
Which Windows do you have, including 32 or 64 bits?
Do you have another antivirus program, firewall or other security program installed?

I suggest that you start the computer in "Safe mode" by tapping F8 key repeatedly during the start and select Safe mode in the menu, see http://www.microsoft...t_failsafe.mspx. In "Safe mode" Ad-Aware and other security programs will not start. It should now be possible to do a System Restore to a system restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware.
Start menu - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Can you now start in normal mode?

#31 k1tt

k1tt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the safe mode uninstaller. Misclicked when I was prompted to uninstall other anti-virus programs. Will there be a standalone anti-spyware version of this?

#32 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi k1tt,

I'm glad it solved your problem.
Many persons have wished that it should be possible to run Ad-Aware alongside other antivirus programs, so maybe Lavasoft will develop that in the future. But at the moment version 9.6 is the only safe choice. It is possible to download 9.6 from FileHippo.

#33 LS Artem

LS Artem

Lavasoft Staff

• 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hello Gentlemen!

Seems that you had not "clear" uninstall of AAW10. I checked Uninstall on the latest version of AAW - 10.1.211.3382. All of GFI network drivers were uninstalled after reboot.
Please watch this video:

Yours Sincerely,

Malware Lab Team

#34 jjkratt

jjkratt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

I am incredibly frustrated right now. I have tried all of the options listed in this thread, one at a time, and none of them have worked. I cannot get this horrendous program (Ad-Aware 10.0 Free) of my computer. It won't uninstall. Most recently, trying to uninstall through Start/Programs/Ad-Aware/Uninstall, it starts to uninstall then it gives me an error code and says it is rolling back uninstall. If I didn't know any better I'd say this is the most ingenious destructive virus I've ever seen, I've run Ad-Aware on all my computers for years with no problems, but with the new update yesterday, everything has crashed. Nothing listed above is working. I even uninstalled the firewall driver. That at least got me to be able to run the uninstall, but again like I said, it won't go through with it and just laughs in your face while it says sorry you're stuck with this awful program till I cause your computer to crash forever. Someone please help!

Extremely Irritated.

#35 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hi jjkratt,

Which Windows version do you have, including if it is 32 or 64 bits?
Which other antivirus program do you have?
Do you have any other security related programs?
Which error code do you get during the uninstallation?

#36 karamand

karamand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

dear people from Lavasoft:
Like many others I've been using your software for years w/o a problem. Yesterday I was tricked by you into installing your new version and cannot use my computer ever since. It's INSANE to unload software that cannot be uninstalled on unsuspecting users

#37 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hi karamand,

I'm not from Lavasoft, but I wonder what you have tried of all uninstall suggestions in this topic and the other similar topics in this forum.
Which Windows version do you have, including if it is 32 or 64 bits?
Which other antivirus program do you have?
Do you have any other security related programs?

#38 upgradefailed

upgradefailed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'm also frustrated and long time user of ad-aware (free)). A few days ago, upgraded to latest version on Win 7 64-bit. Install failed. Uninstall failed. Network connections lost. Can't run installer again as it expects a network connection. How do I get past this blockage? Is there a FULL download package? The one I have is about 5.9MB and I know there are many more MB required to complete an install, so how do I get all the required dependant files to my localhost so that I can reinstall and try the uninstall again? For the record, it's been many years since I've encountered a trusted program make such a mess of an upgrade and it's really put a dark light on Lavasoft -- to me at least.

Thank you for your continued help to resolve this fubar.

#39 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7397 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi upgradefailed,

Do you have any other antivirus or similar program installed?

Please, try to do a system restore to a restore point created before the installation of Ad-Aware 10.1. If you get an error message, try to do it in safe mode.

If you don't have any restore points or have issues with Windows that stops the system restore function, you can try to fix the lost network connections by reading the suggestions in the topics I link to in http://www.lavasofts...post__p__136766

#40 Twitchymctwitch

Twitchymctwitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yep, Ad Aware has essentially turned my Toshiba Satellite into a very expensive paper weight. How do I get this off my machine?
The story so far...
After downloading the latest version of Adaware my system would not connect to the Internet. I called the support center & was subjected to a very rude, inattentive associate who actually hung up on me.
I attempted to do a traditional uninstall through Control Panel & restarted my sytem. Upon startup I received the usual notification that "AdAware will continue to protect my system" despite the fact that I had just supposedly uninstalled it. I checked my control panel again, & sure enough, Adaware is still present. Only now the Uninstall option is gone, & only the Change & Repair options are available.
I then began a search for any Adaware related files on my system & began deleting them thinking that would do the trick. No luck. It still appears in my control panel & according to my task manager is still running processes. I try to End Process only to have them immediately start again. I can now sporadically connect to the Internet, but my system is very slow & frequently becomes unresponsive.
The software is also still present in my Program Files (x86) folder. I have attempted to delete it & received the following message: "The action can't be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program".
I've also run http://www.sunbelt-s...PF/spfclean.exe & restarted as suggested earlier in this thread. Still no luck in removing this software.
As a 6 year user of Adaware I am extremely frustrated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users