• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stelldrago

stelldrago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I am writing this on behalf of my mother who recently bought a 3 year subscription of Ad-Aware 10 at a cost of $60.

As you could well imagine she was not impressed when the BSOD came up.
It ment we had to do a system restore to get the computer back to working order. When we did the restore we didn't have Ad-Aware 10 install. Is it possible to re-download it at no extra cost and if so where do we go to do it

Is there going to be an update to fix this problem on her windows 7 computer or is my mother able to get a refund?

A reply would be greatly appreciated. Either through here or send an email to: ***@gmail.com

Shannon :)

Edited by CeciliaB, 25 April 2012 - 12:56 PM.
E-mail address removed, see answer

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi stelldrago,

Ad-Aware 10.1 is going to be released rather soon and in that version code has been rewritten to make it less likely that BSODs occur. The most common reason to BSOD is that there already is an antivirus program installed in the computer (or maybe the previous antivirus program is not completely uninstalled).

I have removed the email address in your post, since web pages are regularly checked by spam spiders collecting email addresses to use for spam.

#3 stelldrago

stelldrago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply and for taking down my email address. I didn't know that about the spam spiders.
Hopefully Ad-Aware 10.1 will fix thee problems.

Shannon :)

#4 davet1

davet1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

CeciliaB,
Any idea when the fix will be available?
With the BSOD I can't uninstall Ad-Aware - I'm not an experienced computer person. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dave

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi Dave,

Have you tried to do a system restore in safe mode?
If you need a more detailed description or that isn't successful, tell me.

Version 10.1 is planned to be released during May.

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad the suggestion about VClean in the other topic helped you, davet1 :)
http://www.lavasofts...post__p__135024

Is everything of Ad-Aware removed or is, for example, the Ad-Aware folder still in the computer?
I wonder since I was told that VClean should be used after a usual uninstallation of Ad-Aware 10.0 to remove the drivers.

#7 rakdan

rakdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

I was reading this, and saw the part about another anti-virus program running. Since when is Ad-Aware an anti-virus program. My understanding is that it is a Malware program. These are very different things. I always used to run AVG and Ad-Aware and Spybot all together with no problems. After the BSOD and reading about the notorious new owners of this software, I quickly uninstalled Ad-Aware, and I am unlikely to ever look back. The only reason that I am writing on this forum is that I wanted to research whether other people got the BSOD from Ad-Aware. I have a laptop that is about 3 months old, and it has never had anything like a BSOD, so I wanted to confirm that it was Ad-Aware that caused this for me.

#8 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi rakdan,

Ad-Aware 9 and 10 includes an antivirus part, as well as an anti-malware. Since Ad-Aware 9 Free only has a limited real-time protection, it is seldom problem with conflicts with other antivirus programs. Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+ gives even users of the free version a full real-time protection for better protection, which means it is more likely that a conflict appear.

It is, of course, impossible to say if your BSOD was caused by Ad-Aware without further investigation even if it likely. It is still possible to continue using Ad-Aware 9.6, if you prefer that, and it can be downloaded from http://www.filehippo...nload_ad-aware/

#9 rakdan

rakdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, Cecilia.

Was there an option that I did not see in the current version to disable the Anti-Virus part? I have not updated my ZoneAlarm to the latest version precisely because it has an AntiVirus included, but they made it very clear that was the case. Ad-Aware did not. I have since found out that ZoneAlarm does have an option to disable the AntiVirus part, so I will probably update to the latest version soon.

As far as determining whether my BSOD was from Ad-Aware, there is no question. As soon as I got the BSOD, I uninstalled Ad-Aware, and have had no problems since. Then, I found that others have had the same issue. As I mentioned previously, this is the only BSOD that I have ever received on this laptop. Also, a friend of mine had the same issue at the same time that I did.

#10 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

You are welcome, rakdan :)

Was there an option that I did not see in the current version to disable the Anti-Virus part?

No, it is one engine dealing with all types of malicious files. One engine instead of two will use less computer resources and many persons complained that Ad-Aware 9 used too much. It is not the antivirus part that has conflicts with another antivirus program, it is the drivers belonging to the full real-time protection. Even if LS Digger Barnes' explanation about possible conflicts with other security programs in the post http://www.lavasofts...ndpost&p=125582 is written for an earlier version of Ad-Aware, the principle is still the same.

It is also possible that it were AVG that BSOD due to a conflict with Ad-Aware.

I have not updated my ZoneAlarm to the latest version precisely because it has an AntiVirus included, but they made it very clear that was the case. Ad-Aware did not.

Well, it is called Ad-Aware 10 Free Antivirus+. Didn't you get a warning that you had an antivirus program installed when you installed Ad-Aware 10?

#11 stelldrago

stelldrago

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hi
I am writing this on behalf of my mother who took out a 3 year subscription of ad - aware 10. once we intalled it got the BSOD. Managed to fix that with ad - aware 10.1 but all that did was slow the computer down and freeze everything.
Tried to call Lavasoft and all we got was an automated message and no help at all.
So how does Mum get her $60 back? Any help wwould be appriciated.
Shannon

#12 rakdan

rakdan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

davet1, Try rebooting in Safe Mode. Press F8 every second or so while your computer reboots until you see that you have booting options. Then, select Safe Mode. In safe mode, you should be able to uninstall Ad-Aware. Do not restore your computer. That should be a last resort. Restores do not always work right.

#13 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7234 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi
I am writing this on behalf of my mother who took out a 3 year subscription of ad - aware 10. once we intalled it got the BSOD. Managed to fix that with ad - aware 10.1 but all that did was slow the computer down and freeze everything.
Tried to call Lavasoft and all we got was an automated message and no help at all.
So how does Mum get her $60 back? Any help wwould be appriciated.
Shannon

Nice that 10.1 stopped the BSOD. :)
Does your mother have another antivirus program installed or has uninstalled one?

If you want to solve the serious problem with slow downs, you might contact Lavasoft support directly, if you prefer that: http://lavasoft.com/..._problem_report
If your mother only wants to get the money back, contact Lavasoft support instead on: http://lavasoft.com/...contact_support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users