• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jackgarvey

jackgarvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am trying to help a friend who has Adaware. He was updating the product and had some sort of problem that gave him the following error message and a blue screen of death

no_more_irp_stack_locations

He cannot start the computer now (except in safe mode) or he gets the blue screen of death.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong during the update, and what to fix tro make this problem go away?

Thank you

Specs:

Version of Adaware: Not sure. Should be the latest
Windows: XP SP3

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7428 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi jackgarvey,

The first thing is to try to uninstall Ad-Aware in safe mode.
The second is to do a system restore to a recent system restore point:
Start menu - All programs - Accessories - System Tools - System restore

I guess that your friend has another antivirus program installed and there is a conflict between Ad-Aware 10 and that program. Your friend can continue to use Ad-Aware 9.6 until 10.1 is released. This new version is rewritten to make blue screens of death rare even if another antivirus program is installed.

#3 jackgarvey

jackgarvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thank you for your quick response.

We cannot remove Adaware in safe mode through either the uninstall feature in the program folder, or through control panel -> add remove a program.

Our options are further limited in that he has no restore points on his computer. This is confusing because he has used restore points in the past, and now it has been turned off and there are no restore points available. We're trying to figure out why this is a problem. So, system restore right now is not an option.

Can you think of any other ways to remove Adaware, given the limitations I have mentioned?

Can you tell me the specific virus programs you know of that may be causing a conflict? I see Officescan and windows defender on the bar at the bottom right of my screen, I assume he may have the same programs on his computer...

#4 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7428 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

You are welcome :)

I think Windows will start in normal mode if you change that to "Clean boot":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353 method 2
Start the computer in normal mode after performing Step 1 and Step 2, you should then be able to uninstall Ad-Aware. When done perform "Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state" to get a standard normal mode.

It should not be any problem using Windows Defender, but at the moment I cannot recommend to run any antivirus program together with Ad-Aware 10, even if a few persons has written in the forum that they had done it without issues.

#5 jackgarvey

jackgarvey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Clean Boot wouldn't work either. We couldn't get past the blue screen of death. The tech people came in a re-imaged the machine so I can't try any more. Thank you for your help...

#6 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7428 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

You are welcome :)

I had some more ideas to try, but maybe it was faster to reinstall than to test them. Make sure that system restore is enabled.

#7 johnny00

johnny00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

I'm seeing the same issue and would be interested in what other ideas you have. I was getting the BSOD almost as soon as the system got to the login screen, now, with clean boot, it won't do it until I actually log in.

Thanks.

#8 johnny00

johnny00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

Looks like I managed to get it uninstalled. The firewall driver was the source of the BSOD, once I disabled that, I was able to boot and log in so I could uninstall.

#9 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7428 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi johnny00,

I'm glad you solved the problem. If you want to continue with Ad-Aware 9.6, it is still possible to use it and you can download it from FileHippo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users