• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 debbiedeb

debbiedeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

ad aware is not listing the virus worm trojan it discovered. just says "traces" this is not very helpful. why doesnt it remove these automatically as it finds them? how long should a full scan take? also, the last time i let adaware remove what it considered a svchost virus my machine couldnt function, it was a disaster. i dont want to have the same problem on this machine.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7685 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi debbiedeb,

Sorry, but I find it difficult to understand exactly what you mean. Please, explain in more detail.
Is it a scan that has found an infection or is it the real-time protection?

The length of a full scan depends on processor speed, amount of RAM, used size of hard disks, number of files on hard disks, speed of hard disks etc.

An infection can add several files, change several registry entries etc. in the computer. Each one of them is called a trace.

All antivirus programs sometimes shows false positives. That is one reason why it is better that an antivirus program displays all found traces and let the customer check the list before removing the traces than automatically remove everything that is found.

svchost is a very important Windows file. If that file is infected by a virus and therefore removed, it will lead to that Windows has serious problems running. But an antivirus program can hardly let an infected file be running.

#3 megamind

megamind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

debbiedeb,

Traces are different from actual malware traces are remains like registry keys,some inf files created by virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users