• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Version 10.0.185.3207 is using excessive CPU on windows XP sp3. It looks like it is working in conjusction with wmiprvse.exe and AdAaware.exe. A "quick scan" on my computer took nearly 17 hours. This version is making browsing extremely slow. Plus it's freezing NetFlix, jamming up both audio and visual display. Didn't you guys performance test this thing? It's a dog!

Just running the computer idle it can slip into 100% cpu usage. Once Firefox is open, simply going to Google brings the computer to its knees because the cpu usage it so high. Are you letting the users test your software now? There's got to be big bugs (aka defects) in this release. I've have 15+ years doing functional and performance testing and I can tell you this thing would have never gotten my approval.

I want answers on how to revert to the previous version (Like, where can I download it?), which displayed none of these cpu issues. This version is a big step backward in terms of performance.

Edited by RightSide, 05 April 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#2 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi RightSide,

Of course Ad-Aware was tested in many ways including performance, and what you describes is not normal. In my computer (cheap, 4 years old) a Quick Scan takes 1-2 minutes and I don't notice any delays or high CPU usage when I use Firefox.

Do you have another antivirus program installed?
Using two antivirus program at the same time can give conflicts and strange behaviour, for example very long scan.

Firefox problem: Try to inactivate "Safe Browsing", "Safe Networking" and/or "Shop & Bank Safely Online".

I will try to contact Lavasoft to see if they have any other explanations.

#3 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

AdAware is my only active anti-virus software (unless Microsoft is doing something unknown to me in the background). I've found a version 9.0 backup disk and have wiped version 10 off my computer.

#4 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Okay, I re-installed version 9 and it works great! No high CPU usage, no problem, Before uninstalling I tried to play the Nancy Sinatra song, "These Boots Are Made For Walkin':" on YouTube. Impossible to get through it without multiple freeze ups and the CPU pegged at 100% try it:

Version 9 CPU 7% during playback.

The only difference is the AdAware version: version 10 -- freeze up; Version 9 - easy playback -- no issues.

You have a problem with this software. Your testing procedures didn't find it.

Edited by RightSide, 05 April 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#5 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

Are you interested in that someone from Lavasoft tries to install Ad-Aware 10 and investigates why Ad-Aware 10 doesn't work in your computer? I cannot promise that they have the time to do that, but I can ask.

Of course the tests didn't find all bugs, since that is impossible.

#6 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

We can try that. I Have a pretty vanilla system here. It's a Dell T3400 Duo CPU E7300 @2.66GHz with 3.25 Gigs of ram running XP pro 20002 Service Pack3 with the latest updates. Plenty of free hard drive space. Lots of free memory. Netflix barely hits 10% CPU usage under version 9. Like I said version 9 works without a hitch. I half suspect the installer is at fault but thats a WAG. If the installer didn't remove all vestiges of version 9 there could have been a collision between 9 and 10. Now that I've located my version 9 install disk it's pretty simple for me to revert back as needed.

Oh, you CAN test everything but you might not have the time. I once had a chief architect tell me he wanted EVRYTHING tested. I figured out there were over 24 million different combinations we'd have to check. The time estimate to complete all tests, I think, was 3 1/2 years. We were working on a 3 week deadline ;)

Edited by RightSide, 05 April 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#7 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

:D Impossible can mean different things ;)

The installation program of Ad-Aware 10 only uninstalls Ad-Aware 9.6, so if you had an earlier version of Ad-Aware installed that maybe explains the problems.
I will send a PM to my contact person at Lavasoft with a link to this topic. If someone has the time, they will send you a PM with information.

#8 LS Ann

LS Ann

Lavasoft Staff

• 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hello RightSide,

I will write you in PM. Please look and answer.

Thanks,
Ann

#9 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

After uninstalling version 9 and having Lavasoft tech support install version 10 all initially seemed much better. YouTube playback was fine. But once I started Netflix things went from bad to worse, again. 26 minutes into a Netflix TV episode playback SBAMsvc.exe started hitting 48% to 52% CPU and was hosing the audio. After going on another 20 minutes or so with the audio frozen every 3 minutes or so. Then any move on the computer was wicked slow. It took minutes to open windows explorer.

The only option was to once again uninstall version 10 and reisnatll version 9. And, once again, version 9 works without issue.

#10 LS Sharon

LS Sharon

Lavasoft Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi rightside,

Please verify your Personal messages.

Sincerely,
Sharon - Lavasoft Support

#11 RightSide

RightSide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm not going to waste any more time on version 10 and stick with version 9, which works fine. Therre is an obvious "tipping point" when using XP pro Service pack 3 which you did not catch and/or do not see. Blaming other software manufacturer's drivers is lame or disengenerous on Lavasoft's part. Take responsibility for your own software. Endurance test your software. Netflix, Hulu and YouTube are popular sites and version 9 is fully functional with them. I haven't checked Hulu with version 10 but I suspect the same high CPU condition would occur during use. IMO version 10 not ready for prime time.

Edited by RightSide, 09 April 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#12 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I started a new YouTube clip while watching the Process tab in Task manager and SBAMSvc went up to 27 % during less than 1 second with no influence on audio. I have a processor similar to yours, but only 2 GB RAM and Vista. I have no problem at all watching the video in your post, Firefox is using approx. 17% and that is the process using most CPU.

#13 opatme

opatme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I too am running a core 2 duo processor at 2.66 ghz with 2GB memory and XP SP3, and Adaware 10 cripples my system. I have the same issue where I am browsing with Firefox and Google simultaneously and any CPU load added onto that is a game changer. The computer becomes useless and takes minutes to perform any function at all.
Additionally, I tied to run a "Full Scan" and after 8+ hours the scan had not gotten past my program files on the C drive. Granted I have some externals and lots of files but this is completely excessive. So it appears that compatibility with this particular configuration is not in the cards at this time for Adaware 10 which is a shame because I have been using the software for spyware protection for many years and hate to have to look elsewhere. Unfortunately I have no access to previous versions... If Lavasoft comes up with a solution I should love to hear about it.

#14 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi opatme,

Do you have another antivirus program installed?
Or other security program, for example an old version of Ad-Aware?
Have you tried to disable the advanced functions and toolbars of Ad-Aware?

Ad-Aware 9.6 is available, for example, on Filehippo.

#15 santaclaus

santaclaus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

I am running window xp and recently upgraded to ad-aware free anti-virus 10.1
I have the same problem sbamsvc.exe runs every now and than and render the machine almost unusable.
However the minute i found this tread and reply to it. It stops running. Hopely it will stay this way otherwise I may have to put it to sleep for a few months.

#16 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hi santaclaus,

If you get the same problem again, please answer the questions in post #14.

#17 hfosteriii

hfosteriii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

Same issue. Version 10 slows down everything. Gonna just go with a different antivirus. Shame because Adaware used to be a great program. Guess the new owners are more interested in creating search engines and selling ads than protecting peoples computers.

#18 CeciliaB

CeciliaB

Volunteer

• 7405 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi hfosteriii,

Still possible to use Ad-Aware 9.6.

Why not investigate why Ad-Aware 10 doesn't work in your computer? It works perfectly in many other computers.

The new owners knows that it is only by developing a really good product, they will earn some money. They are trying to develop a great product, but it is much easier if they get help with finding bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users